Send to GPS is finally gone

JohnCNA

I just noticed that the Send to GPS button has finally been removed from the cache pages.  All that remains is the GPX File button.

Finally!  I often wondered why that option was left up for so long, when it generated so many support issues.  And it was so easy to duplicate it's function by just using GPX File instead.

9 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

I just noticed that the Send to GPS button has finally been removed from the cache pages.  All that remains is the GPX File button.

Finally!  I often wondered why that option was left up for so long, when it generated so many support issues.  And it was so easy to duplicate it's function by just using GPX File instead.

Not sure if this is the correct place to write this, as not Very used to forums,  but after following the steps in this new way of downloading to my GPS,  no geocaches are on my device,

after clicking the send to Garmin, ----- etrex touch 25,   hope someone can help.

thanks  Robert Dyson.

5 hours ago, Burton wanderers said:

after following the steps in this new way of downloading to my GPS,  no geocaches are on my device,

after clicking the send to Garmin, ----- etrex touch 25,   hope someone can help.

thanks  Robert Dyson.

To save one cache file, click "GPX File" on a cache page, and save it to the proper folder on the GPS.  On a modern Garmin GPS, the folder is Garmin/GPX.

As a Premium Member, you can save "Lists" of select caches or "Pocket Queries" of entire areas.  Lists and Pocket Queries each work differently and have their own benefits, yet have features that overlap.  It's good to learn both.

It's tough to provide specific steps when your system is unknown.  But for example, in IE11 in Windows 10, click the "GPX File" button on a cache page, and a box pops up at the bottom of the page.  Now you can choose "Save As..." which allows you do choose where to save the file, to the folder on the device itself [Garmin GPS Drive]:/Garmin/GPX.  Or you can let it go into the default "Downloads" on your PC and copy it from there to that same folder on your GPS.

For a List, you will use a new(ish) button to the right of each list, called "Send To Garmin", for easy one-click loading of all the caches you picked for the List.  That may be a great place to start: https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=283

It requires some setup before you get started, but works pretty well after that.  You add one or a selection of caches to a List, then load them all with a click.

For a Pocket Query, unzip the file, place the GPX file(s) into [Garmin GPS Drive]:/Garmin/GPX.

Good luck! :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to write this, as not Very used to forums,  but after following the steps in this new way of downloading to my GPS,  no geocaches are on my device,

thanks  Robert Dyson.

Hi,    thanks for reply,  but when I send file,   states Garmin(E)   how do i send to Garmin/GPX  file ? you state.     thanks.

11 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

Hi,    thanks for reply,  but when I send file,   states Garmin(E)   how do i send to Garmin/GPX  file ? you state.     thanks.

There are a lot of options.  You can try "Lists".  Here's a summary: https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2017/04/new-a-magic-button-for-your-garmin-gps/

You can also still download just one cache from a cache page. Click the "GPX File" button on any cache page, place the GPX file into /Garmin/GPX on your Etrex (same with most newer Garmins).  If you aren't familiar with your web browser or PC, you will need to be more specific about your question.

Very easy 

For premium members
Go to our profile / lists. Create a list with the name you want. Go to the geocaching map and add caches to the list. Return to our profile / lists and to the right of the list select the icon and select to download to the GPS. We will need to have the Garmin Express PC. Always the latest version

1 hour ago, Burton wanderers said:

thanks  Robert Dyson.

Hi,   yes, it should be easy,  just tried a pocket query,   but a notification from garmin express  said request error. there is a problem with the content being sent,  try sending again.     this done several times,       do you attempt to change the file or anything else?  any ideas,   Thanks

Here's a good start for Pocket Queries:  https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=118

Note that Pocket Queries don't use "Garmin Express".  Lists and Pocket Queries have features that overlap, but otherwise function very differently.  Download a Pocket Query Zip file, unzip it.  Place GPX file(s) into the folder "Garmin/GPX" on a newer Garmin GPS.

Here's a section on Lists, which do use Garmin Express: 

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=283

Today the current version of Garmin Express is "6.8.1.0", but subject to change at any time.  Verify and update it.

Untitled-ge1.jpg

Edited by kunarion