Finding coordinates without a GPSr

Jasons01

Sometimes you'll get old GPS devices for almost nothing via ebay. If you are low on money don't forget that you can purchase used ones and that you do need the newest devices to have fun with geocaching.

That is offtopic and I am sorry for that - but it is something you should not forget if you want to keep up with the hobby. And if you drop it (what you are surely going to do ^^) you will be happy that it is not your smartphone. :-)

Have fun!

Jochen

• Helpful 1

If you download the free Geocaching.com app, you can create waypoints in it. Help Center covers this, as does IceColdUK's post. Help Center article has pictures ;-)

If you're taking coords, spend some time standing around. Let the device settle. For hand held gps, the usual advice is 6 minutes - this turns out to be a long time.  I've seen people decide that it's been "long enough" at about 2 minutes.

7 hours ago, 1nosaj said:

I only have a smartphone, and I want to know if you can still find caches where coordinates are not given.  Can coordinates be entered into a cell phone? At this time,  I cannot afford to purchase a GPSr.

Search the App Store for "Free GPS" and look at the list.  Check out "Free App" web sites where the modest price of the "paid version" of an App is now no price, it's free today.  I like the iPhone GPS Apps, they are polished and there's a decent selection.  But I have a couple of Android GPS Apps, such as Spyglass, so that I can save a bunch of coordinates easily and all in one place.  I most often use my Garmin GPS for this purpose, but don't always carry it.

As mentioned, on the Official App you can "add waypoints" while "navigating" to any cache.  Or just read the displayed coords and make a note of them. I have an Indiana-Jones-Style notebook for cache notes, coordinates and drawings beyond just what I could save in "The App".  Simple, and my notebook has yet to become corrupted after a software update. :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

A third-party app that I've used in the past has had a waypoint averaging feature, where it would keep taking readings until I told it to stop, and then it would give me the average of all those readings. My results with that app were virtually the same as the results I got with my eXplorist. As far as I can tell, Groundspeak's Geocaching app doesn't average coordinates at all, which is unfortunate.

But however you get your coordinates, be sure to test them.

Enter your coordinates into your device, and then approach the cache location from at least 100ft/30m away. The arrow should point right at the cache location as you approach. Repeat the process, approaching the cache location from various directions, from at least 100ft/30m away each time. No matter which direction you approach from, the arrow should point right at the cache location.

If it doesn't, then adjust your coordinates until it does.

Bonus points for repeating the test on another day when the GPS satellites are in a different configuration.

Also, the Help Center article How to Get Accurate Coordinates should prove useful.

5 minutes ago, niraD said:

[...]

But however you get your coordinates, be sure to test them.

Enter your coordinates into your device, and then approach the cache location from at least 100ft/30m away.

[...]

That's all nice advice but I think it's just about finding other caches not putting out own ones.

1nosaj just wants to enter multi cache stages and finals which do not come directly from the website. You do not need to average anything like that, you just need to enter the coordinates which you get while you are on a cache hunt. So better do not overwhelm her/him with information which she/he dows not need at the moment. ;-)

Jochen

Thanks guys.

I did forget to mention that I have an android phone.

Also for those caches that state the cache not at the listed coordinates, does that mean I still have to go to those coordinates to look for something?  I have never for one of these caches before.  GC6190N  is one I am wanting to find, for example, and the other mystery caches in this area.

Edited by 1nosaj
4 minutes ago, 1nosaj said:

Also for those caches that state the cache not at the listed coordinates, does that mean I still have to go to those coordinates to look for something?

Generally, no. If it says that, the posted coordinates are most likely bogus and there's no reason to go there. There may be rare occasions when you still need to go there, but the listing should tell you that if that's the case.

8 minutes ago, 1nosaj said:

Also for those caches that state the cache not at the listed coordinates, does that mean I still have to go to those coordinates to look for something?  

It depends.   Read the rest of the description. It should tell you whether the information you need is there or if you should figure it out before you leave home .

On many of my mystery caches,  the listed coordinates are a good place to park .

Edited by NanCycle
Add
19 hours ago, 1nosaj said:

Thanks guys.

I did forget to mention that I have an android phone.

Also for those caches that state the cache not at the listed coordinates, does that mean I still have to go to those coordinates to look for something?  I have never for one of these caches before.  GC6190N  is one I am wanting to find, for example, and the other mystery caches in this area.

That looks like a fun puzzle!