Coordinates change when hiding a new geocache

Mateco

Hi!

I think i have found an error. Whenever I try to hide a geocache, enter the coordinates and click on confirmm, the coordinates change. It is really weird and annoying. ANd it seems like the new coordinates are not completely random. They seem to show potential geocache locations (close to a trail, in a city) whereas a completely random coordinate would likely lead to the oceans. Maybe it shows another cache that is being uploaded? I dont know. FOr a long time of trying again I get the same new coordinate, and then a little later another coordinate that isnt mine but seems normal. Please fix this.

8 hours ago, Mateco said:

Hi!

I think i have found an error. Whenever I try to hide a geocache, enter the coordinates and click on confirmm, the coordinates change. It is really weird and annoying. ANd it seems like the new coordinates are not completely random. They seem to show potential geocache locations (close to a trail, in a city) whereas a completely random coordinate would likely lead to the oceans. Maybe it shows another cache that is being uploaded? I dont know. FOr a long time of trying again I get the same new coordinate, and then a little later another coordinate that isnt mine but seems normal. Please fix this.

Please make sure to zoom in and check the map on the cache page to see if the spot looks correct. 

I agree with Tricia that first you should check the format. It does not sound like random coords to me.

On 8/30/2018 at 7:18 PM, TriciaG said:

Are you entering the coordinates in the default format? (DD MM.mmm)

If you enter them as DD MM.SSS which is definitely wrong it might be converting them for you, which moves them. (Because DD MM.SSS is NOT the same as DD MM.mmm.)

Degrees Minutes Seconds (DDS) format shouldn't have a decimal point.  It consists of three integer values.  The degrees, minutes, and seconds are all integers.  Degrees Decimal Minutes (DDM)  uses an integer for the degrees portion and the minutes are expressed as a decimal value.  Decimal Degrees (DD) is just one decimal value.

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Degrees Minutes Seconds (DDS) format shouldn't have a decimal point.  It consists of three integer values.  The degrees, minutes, and seconds are all integers.  Degrees Decimal Minutes (DDM)  uses an integer for the degrees portion and the minutes are expressed as a decimal value.  Decimal Degrees (DD) is just one decimal value.

Exactly. So if the coords were seconds and entered with the decimal point, they're wrong.

4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Actually, sometimes Degrees Minutes Seconds format uses a decimal for seconds, but that looks like this: DD MM SS.S

It definitely does not look like this: DD MM.SSS

5 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Wrong abbreviations. See  bolded text below.

15 minutes ago, niraD said:

Actually, sometimes Degrees Minutes Seconds format uses a decimal for seconds, but that looks like this: DD MM SS.S

It definitely does not look like this: DD MM.SSS

That's correct. You can have decimals for the lowest unit of measurement and only the lowest unit. Below is the proper nomenclature used outside of geocaching:

• Decimal degrees (DD) can look like DD.DDD
  • Degrees and decimal minutes (DMM) can look like DD MM.MMM
  • Degrees, minutes, and seconds (DMS) can look like DD MM SS.SSS