How to get co-ordinates when setting up own cache?

EmzyJanezy

27 minutes ago, EmzyJanezy said:

Actually, could this be a way to do it?

If I'm looking for another cache and then click on the little compass it tells me the waypoints of the cache I'm looking for, but also tells me my own waypoints.  Can I just use them?

Yes, pretty much.

It's a good idea to get some coordinates, have a walk around, go back and get them again and so on - they'll shift a little bit time on time. Then go home and check them on google maps as well (not perfect, but it really helps).

2 hours ago, anpefi said:

You should start by reading this Help Center's article about getting coordinates. If you have further questions after its reading, come back and we could help you more specifically.

Thanks - I had read that but it wasn't clear how to work out co-ordinates with a smartphone - i.e. if I needed to download an app, which app, if it was on the geocaching app, where on the geocaching app etc.

1 hour ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Yes, pretty much.

It's a good idea to get some coordinates, have a walk around, go back and get them again and so on - they'll shift a little bit time on time. Then go home and check them on google maps as well (not perfect, but it really helps).

Brilliant - thanks, I'll do this! :)

Before you publish, check the coordinates on something like Google maps. I have had experience of looking for a new cache and the coordinates being way out; such as being at the wrong end of a 50 metre bridge, or the wrong side of a river. If only the CO had put the coordinates into Google maps and looked where the coordinates actually ended up, this likely wouldn't have happened.

8 minutes ago, EmzyJanezy said:

Thanks - I had read that but it wasn't clear how to work out co-ordinates with a smartphone - i.e. if I needed to download an app, which app, if it was on the geocaching app, where on the geocaching app etc.

Well, the end of the article explains how to get the coordinates with the official geocaching app....

Anyway, take a look to some advices given in this thread: Most accurate way to get coordinates for a hide (Android) like for example make sure your phone location settings are in "GPS only" or start your measure far from the GZ and then walk into the GZ after some time (let to link several satellites + accuracy tends to improve when you are moving). Of course, checking in "satellite" view in gmaps is very useful to avoid big mistakes. 

7 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Before you publish, check the coordinates on something like Google maps. I have had experience of looking for a new cache and the coordinates being way out; such as being at the wrong end of a 50 metre bridge, or the wrong side of a river. If only the CO had put the coordinates into Google maps and looked where the coordinates actually ended up, this likely wouldn't have happened.

Thanks, Blue Square Thing advised this too, I'll definitely do it :)

• Upvote 1

If you don't trust your coordinates, then test them.

Enter your coordinates into your device, and then approach the cache location from at least 100ft/30m away. The arrow should point right at the cache location as you approach. Repeat the process, approaching the cache location from various directions, from at least 100ft/30m away each time. No matter which direction you approach from, the arrow should point right at the cache location.

If it doesn't, then adjust your coordinates until it does.

Bonus points for repeating the test on another day when the GPS satellites are in a different configuration.

And of course, anpefi already recommended the Help Center article How to Get Accurate Coordinates