Adrenaline Junkie Souvenir

Max and 99

To earn the Adrenaline Junkie souvenir, earn 50 points individually on your Friend League during the month of September, beginning Monday, September 3 at noon UTC. This month, earn double points for difficulty and terrain.G

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2018/08/you-might-be-a-geocacher-if/?newsletter=PM

I'll be ignoring the Friend League. It serves no purpose for me in September. However, I'm hoping one of the other three months will involve some cooperation among the Friend League.

Edited by Max and 99
12 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

However, I'm hoping one of the other three months will involve some cooperation among the Friend League.

They seem to have moved away from Souvenirs based on points earned by your friends. The Friends League is just a scorekeeping system, a way to see how many points you've earned towards the current Souvenir. But the Souvenirs themselves are based on the points you yourself have earned.

But I could be wrong. I am neither a volunteer reviewer nor a lackey, and I don't have access to any more information than any other premium member.

14 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'll be ignoring the Friend League. It serves no purpose for me in September. However, I'm hoping one of the other three months will involve some cooperation among the Friend League.

If it's done like Planetary Pursuit was, then even if there's no cooperation involved, the Friend League will still be useful for keeping track of how many points you've earned.  On the other hand, if it's done like Hidden Creatures was, then it'll be useless.

Either way, the first souvenir will be really easy to get.  Since each cache find is worth at least 9 points, finding any 6 caches during the month will be enough.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Nylimb said:

If it's done like Planetary Pursuit was, then even if there's no cooperation involved, the Friend League will still be useful for keeping track of how many points you've earned.  On the other hand, if it's done like Hidden Creatures was, then it'll be useless.

Either way, the first souvenir will be really easy to get.  Since each cache find is worth at least 9 points, finding any 6 caches during the month will be enough.

For most people, I'm sure it's helpful. For us math people, we don't need no stinkin' FL to add points for us. LOL 

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

It's just a guess, but since this is a four month series I think one month will involve cumulative friend points.

Possibly. But I think the Social Butterfly challenge will give events double points, rather than counting the points earned by friends. We'll see.

This one will be relatively easy, I think. Agreed that I would love to see another cooperative Friend League challenge--honestly, it was one of the things I absolutely loved initially when they introduced it, and I've been a little disappointed that they haven't done anything like that since! Sadly, from the sounds of the description, it doesn't seem like any of these 4 challenges will be cooperative either ... "Each month from September through December, use the Friend League to individually earn points toward a new Geocacher Personality Souvenir"

Seriously Grounspeak you consider a geocacher a junkie if he find 6 geocaches in a month???? I can do that under an hour...

27 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

What I don't get is that the maximum you can earn from any one cache log is 30 points.

Found it = 5 points

Double DT points so 5/5 = 20 points

10+ favourites = 10 points

Total = 35 points

???

You don't get the 5 pts of the found it if you get the 10 pts from the 10+ favorites.

34 minutes ago, niraD said:

Possibly. But I think the Social Butterfly challenge will give events double points, rather than counting the points earned by friends. We'll see.

That makes sense.

18 minutes ago, ArcaLuna said:

... "Each month from September through December, use the Friend League to individually earn points toward a new Geocacher Personality Souvenir"

Thank you for clarifying.

34 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

What I don't get is that the maximum you can earn from any one cache log is 30 points.

Found it = 5 points

Total = 35 points

???

* The max number of points you can earn for any cache log is 30 points by finding a D/T 5/5 geocache with 10 or more Favorite points.

36 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Found it = 5 points

Total = 35 points

???

Makes no sense to me.  I do not understand what they are trying to say.  New techies speak a different language than seniors dolphns.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

* The max number of points you can earn for any cache log is 30 points by finding a D/T 5/5 geocache with 10 or more Favorite points.

Yes that's what we're talking about.

They probably should have said bonus for 10+ faves, and made it 5 points, and that would make grammatical and mathematical sense.

In any case, I'm sure for most people, me included, none of it will matter and they will be awarded the Adrenalin Junkie without changing their caching behaviour! :)

Edited by funkymunkyzone
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Makes no sense to me.  I do not understand what they are trying to say.  New techies speak a different language than seniors dolphns.

Quality Control doesn't exist anymore at Groundspeak so each time they pull out a new souvenir the description don't make sense and contradict itself.

• Upvote 3
14 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Quality Control doesn't exist anymore at Groundspeak so each time they pull out a new souvenir the description don't make sense and contradict itself.

Ah.  So the 1.5/1.5 I found today would get (1.5 plus 1.5 = 3).  And since it's listed twice, I'd get 6 points plus the 5 for finding it?  = 11 points?  

1 minute ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Ah.  So the 1.5/1.5 I found today would get (1.5 plus 1.5 = 3).  And since it's listed twice, I'd get 6 points plus the 5 for finding it?  = 11 points?  

Yeah that right. So the minimum for a 1/1 is 9 pts.

Also by giving 3 pts for each TB drop you don't even need to go outside to be considered an adrenaline junkie...

3 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

In any case, I'm sure for most people, me included, none of it will matter and they will be awarded the Adrenalin Junkie without changing their caching behaviour! :)

True for us too; we are caching every day to get at least one cache every day for 2018.  Find half a dozen and we've got the souvenir.  FInd 30 (minimum of one a day) and we've easily got the 50 pts needed.  No change to our caching behavior at all.  Whatever....

I'm disappointed that the scoring isn't more clear, although it is better than prior promotions in that they give an example and specify the max points per cache find.

Although, the max isn't really 30 if there are TB drops along with that find.

IMHO, clearer would be:

Find a cache with less than 10 faves =5

Find a cache with 10+ faves =10

Double D+T ratings =4-20

Attend any event =5

Drop off a trackable =3

Edited by noncentric
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, niraD said:
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

However, I'm hoping one of the other three months will involve some cooperation among the Friend League.

They seem to have moved away from Souvenirs based on points earned by your friends. The Friends League is just a scorekeeping system, a way to see how many points you've earned towards the current Souvenir. But the Souvenirs themselves are based on the points you yourself have earned.

Yeah, I think the idea is like a sports league.

There are multiple teams in a league, but they each perform individually. The 'league' just organizes the various teams (cachers) into sets. Your 'friends league' is just the set of cachers that you want to be scored with.

I rather prefer having the souvenirs be based on individual scores. Several cachers complained about getting friend requests from strangers that simply wanted more "friends" in their league, regardless of whether they were actual friends IRL or not. Individual scoring eliminates the incentive to do that.

17 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Yeah, I think the idea is like a sports league.

There are multiple teams in a league, but they each perform individually. The 'league' just organizes the various teams (cachers) into sets. Your 'friends league' is just the set of cachers that you want to be scored with.

I rather prefer having the souvenirs be based on individual scores. Several cachers complained about getting friend requests from strangers that simply wanted more "friends" in their league, regardless of whether they were actual friends IRL or not. Individual scoring eliminates the incentive to do that.

I don't know half the geocachers on my Friends league. Some of them I have no idea how I was on their radar.  One of them doesn't even have a name.  I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so I say Yes. It's the closest I'll ever get to social media. It doesn''t bother me, since I rarely even look at, nevermind use my Friend League.

I don't mind the cooperation souvenirs, as long as a min. is required individually.

44 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I don't know half the geocachers on my Friends league. Some of them I have no idea how I was on their radar.  One of them doesn't even have a name.  I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so I say Yes.

I recieved a couple friend requests from strangers. Not sure what proverbial hat they pulled my name out of.  I've also received other random messages from strangers and requests for Lab Cache answers (OT).  I just ignore those communications from strangers. They're probably sending out so many that they won't care if I don't respond.  :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

It doesn''t bother me, since I rarely even look at, nevermind use my Friend League.

One promotion kept everything "secret", so naturally curious.  All the people I never heard of asking to be my "friend" got me more curious.

I had something stating I was in play just for clicking on that silly "friend league" thing just to see what the heck it was when presented in email.

- Won't make that mistake again ...

Yet another promotion with no opt-in.    Guys must have a lotta free time to delete things for me.  :)

I thought the idea was cute.  I was doubly excited that I would get to use my trip to Power Island (oldest in Michigan, requires a boat) to qualify for some adrenaline.

Then I realized that my trip is on September 1, and they don't start this promotion until September 3.

But that's okay ... I will certainly be able to get enough caches in September to qualify anyway, as the math makes the requirements not too tough.

When I started reading the blog post, I thought it sounded like a good premise:

In September, you might be an Adrenaline Junkie if…

It’s all about the thrill of the hunt. You crave physical and mental challenges that include long days of geocaching with “gear, (some) fear, and fun!” Whether you’re climbing, diving, or rappelling, there’s nothing easy about getting to this GZ.  

Great, there could be lots of interesting ways to reward this kind of "above-and-beyond" behaviour. Let's see how they'll award the souvenir:

To earn the Adrenaline Junkie souvenir, earn 50 points individually on your Friend League...

<scoring>

Oh, uh, okay. That fell flat pretty quickly. I only need to find five 1/1.5 caches to be an "adrenaline junkie"? HQ has a very different definition of "adrenaline junkie" than I do.

This seems like yet another lost opportunity. They could have done some interesting things with attributes, higher D/T ratings, and cache types, but instead just went with a very low bar. Maybe they'll redeem themselves with some creative scoring in the other three months, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Upvote 3

I see that they've revised the scoring table in the blog post. It now reads:

Found a geocache with less than 10 Favorite points: 5
Found a geocache with 10+ Favorite points: 10
Difficulty rating: x2
Terrain rating: x2
Attended Event: 5
Drop Trackable: 3

So they removed the duplicate D/T lines and clarified the "less than 10" OR "10+" distinction. This makes much more sense now.

2 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Oh, uh, okay. That fell flat pretty quickly. I only need to find five 1/1.5 caches to be an "adrenaline junkie"? HQ has a very different definition of "adrenaline junkie" than I do.

This seems like yet another lost opportunity. They could have done some interesting things with attributes, higher D/T ratings, and cache types, but instead just went with a very low bar. Maybe they'll redeem themselves with some creative scoring in the other three months, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's too late to change the rules now, but I suppose one way to feature "Adrenaline Junkie" caches would have been to score even more points for the difficulty and terrain ratings, and to require more points for the Souvenir.

For example, if you score 10xD and 10xT, and require 200 points for the Souvenir, then a couple D5/T5 caches could do it. Or five D2/T2 caches could do it.

Or if you score D² and T², and require 100 points for the Souvenir, then a couple D5/T5 caches could do it. Or thirteen D2/T2 caches could do it.

And so on.

Edited by niraD
typo
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, niraD said:

It's too late to change the rules now, but I suppose one way to feature "Adrenaline Junkie" caches would have been to score even more points for the difficulty and terrain ratings, and to require more points for the Souvenir.

For example, if you score 10xD and 10xT, and require 200 points for the Souvenir, then a couple D5/T5 caches could do it. Or five D2/D2 caches could do it.

Or if you score D² and T², and require 100 points for the Souvenir, then a couple D5/T5 caches could do it. Or thirteen D2/D2 caches could do it.

And so on.

Those would all work. I was also thinking of something like D/T <=2 are counted 1x, but D/T >2 are counted 2x. Maybe even D/T >=4 are 3x.

So may ways they could have worked with the theme...

50 pts?  I did about 300 pts last Sunday with some 21 pts caches.  50 points for the month feels like a miscalculation.  And why is it too late to change the rules?  It hasn't started.  Tier it! One Souvenir at 50 pts, one at 400 pts... final at 2000.  Or only count caches with 4+ terrain or 4+ difficulty and raise the bar a bit.

Edited by Schirf
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
10 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Does anybody get a jolt of adrenaline from this?

:laughing:   Yeah, hear - hear.

Another thread talks of the trackable drop-down  now "unstuck" .

If not an error, I feel it makes people have to decide to "visit" every trackable they have on inventory to each cache found.

"Drop" a trackable isn't the same as visit...     Maybe a rethink on what trackable owners are saying about that log type ?

Like gun buy-backs, someone will part with that "lesser" trackable for points.  :D          Though they can retrieve it back, like before this visit stuff started.

8 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I see that they've revised the scoring table in the blog post. It now reads:

Found a geocache with less than 10 Favorite points: 5
Found a geocache with 10+ Favorite points: 10
Difficulty rating: x2
Terrain rating: x2
Attended Event: 5
Drop Trackable: 3

So they removed the duplicate D/T lines and clarified the "less than 10" OR "10+" distinction. This makes much more sense now.

Much better, and the "For example..." below that scoring section is pretty clear.

However, it seems they haven't updated the FAQ section:

image.png.6b427a0b9a04f9b2e486583be66f571f.png

7 hours ago, niraD said:

I was thinking that "additional points" based on Terrain would better match the description of " Whether you’re climbing, diving, or rappelling, there’s nothing easy about getting to this GZ. "

So, don't consider Difficulty rating when calculating additional points.  Just the Terrain rating.

Can someone at Geocaching HQ that read this forum please explain to us why they put the text below and call that souvenir Adrenaline Junkie if you can also get the souvenir by only finding 6 Lamp Post or guardrail caches in a month or you don't even need to go outside by armchair logging TB.

"In September, you might be an Adrenaline Junkie if…

It’s all about the thrill of the hunt. You crave physical and mental challenges that include long days of geocaching with “gear, (some) fear, and fun!” Whether you’re climbing, diving, or rappelling, there’s nothing easy about getting to this GZ."  

By the way Geocaching HQ you still have time to repair this mistake.

Everyone gets a prize.

But if you want to humor them and have fun doing it, you can enjoy the theme (knowing that your efforts are above and beyond, and it really only awards you bragging rights: you did it the 'adrenaline' way to get the prize, while someone else did the minimum requirement not at all in line with the theme)

Everyone gets a prize. Not everyone gets to brag. Not everyone wants to brag. So prize value (for lack of a better term) and motivation reduced.

But it's still an opportunity to have fun following a theme, for those who don't really really care too much on principle.