GONE - This Waymark Is No Longer Here

So I'm checking out some categories I need and one of the entries had a title edited to GONE - (original title of waymark) and the text stated that the waymark was no longer there. Yet, the page is still up on the site. Can these still be "visited" as waymarks if we go to the site? What's the etiquette here? I'm guessing that this is because there is no provision to archive or delete waymarks, that I know of, so even if the waymark is gone the page is there forever... or is that correct?

1 hour ago, The Snowdog said:

I'm guessing that this is because there is no provision to archive or delete waymarks...

You can archive a Waymark, but then it becomes difficult to find again. I think the idea with changing the title and leaving a Waymark active is the view that the Waymark is documenting the thing. Even if the thing is gone, the Waymark can live on to document that the thing was there.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

You can archive a Waymark, but then it becomes difficult to find again. I think the idea with changing the title and leaving a Waymark active is the view that the Waymark is documenting the thing. Even if the thing is gone, the Waymark can live on to document that the thing was there.

Like this:

1 hour ago, The Snowdog said:

So I'm checking out some categories I need and one of the entries had a title edited to GONE - (original title of waymark) and the text stated that the waymark was no longer there. Yet, the page is still up on the site. Can these still be "visited" as waymarks if we go to the site? What's the etiquette here? I'm guessing that this is because there is no provision to archive or delete waymarks, that I know of, so even if the waymark is gone the page is there forever... or is that correct?

Can it still be visited? I would say -- depends. There is an older waymark for the WalMart Neighborhood store at NW 23rd and MacArthur in OKC. When it was waymarked, it was a working WalMart. Between then and the time I visited it, the store had closed. The waymark owner has changed it to "legacy" or something similar. Yet, if you were to go to the coords today, it still looks like a WM Nieghborhood store. You can even see the outlines of the WalMart lettering. Why not visit and mark it. If they tear down the building and build something different, no longer identifiable as a WalMart, nope. No reason to visit.

Now, my waymark for the old Newcastle City Hall has been changed to a legacy waymark, as it has moved about a mile north, and  I  have waymarked the new city hall. I wouldn't think about doing a visit to a waymark like this, I'd go to the new site. But I didn't archive the old one, it is historical info on where it once was.

The former mural just east of Meridian on 23rd that has been painted over -- Why visit a mural that isn't a mural? There are plenty around that are still there.

My 2 cents. Play the game as you see fit.

• Upvote 1

I asked because the category in question doesn't have many entries. The nearest one to me (the one marked GONE) is several hundred miles away but in a city I will visit next month; the next nearest one is even further away. I suppose I will just leave it for a future trip...

Edited by The Snowdog
47 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

I asked because the category in question doesn't have many entries. The nearest one to me (the one marked GONE) is several hundred miles away but in a city I will visit next month; the next nearest one is even further away. I suppose I will just leave it for a future trip...

Can you create a waymark of your own in that category?

9 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

The point of leaving the page in place, but adding a prefix such as "LEGACY" (which is my personal choice), and adding an explanation of why the subject is no longer there, is that it leaves somewhat of a memorial to the entity that once was there. In our case, the first time we had to do this was after a church we had Waymarked was lost to an arsonist's fire. The second time occured after we learned that a heritage building we had Waymarked, an old bank building in Nova Scotia, was being demolished.

Our Waymark may be the last information posted to the net prior to their demise, our photos possibly the last taken before they disappeared.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
  • Upvote 1

To reiterate,

If you know the waymark is gone and it's already marked as such, don't visit it. If you have to for a scavenger hunt, I understand.

I WISH that Legacy waymarks could be excluded from scavenger hunts, but without a way for the system to do that, we're out of luck.

Edited by Max and 99

An "Ignore This Waymark" option would work for those of us who don't want to see un-loggable waymarks. However the chances of us getting any new or improved code on the Waymarking.com web site are somewhere between slim and none, so it's going to be up to WM owners to choose whether to tag them as missing/gone/legacy/removed/whatever or just archive them. Since I don't want to see waymarks on the map that I can't log, I will archive any of mine that disappear. 

Edited by The Snowdog