Release Notes (Website: Downloading caches to GPS devices) - August 28, 2018

2 hours ago, jean1955 said:

I think I'm missing something. Where has it been discussed for at least 2 years that this change was going to be made? Is there something on the website that I should be reading?

Release Notes: are a good place to start.  "Send To GPS" going away was mentioned in a  Release Note: 

They will announce a change in "Release Notes". Be warned, however. There will be no notice when something breaks and that it's to be fixed after “at least 2 years”. The notice happens at about the time of the fix. And some things are broken to this day, no Note, nobody knows when they may be fixed.

But there's a bigger issue.  Your computer and its software tell you that updates need to occur.  You need to keep your Internet-connected computer updated, and if you did, security risks may cease to function.  That's the whole point of patching security risks.  It's annoying to lose the convenience, but technology changes all the time.  You can to this day load some of the oldest GPS devices, but if that's what you wish to do, you must be willing and able to make the change.

Edited by kunarion
4 hours ago, Ewe&Me said:

My heart goes out to all the seniors who are unable to load geocaches in to their GPS. I too have not figured how it works for my Garmin eTrex20 since the changes.  I’ll keep trying but for now I load them manually just so we can keep geocaching.  

It would be a shame for older folks to have to give up their favourite sport because it really is a great way to combine exercise, fresh air and a hobby! 

Thanks to those who have tried their best to explain the new process.  

As a senior, I have been using Pocket Queries, Garmin POI loader, and the GSAK macro for ten years.  So, not all seniors are having this problem.

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, Al81 said:

When we download geocaches (by using pocket query, List or gpx) the description, hint, and recent logs don't download.

You apparently just downloaded the PQ's preview which is a loc file and lack the items you've mentioned.

After selecting a day to run the PQ you will get an email with a link to download the complete PQ.

You may also go to your PQ site:

https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/#DownloadablePQs

Click on the desired PQ name and the download will start immediately.

Hans

Edited by HHL
On 10/24/2018 at 7:42 AM, Ewe&Me said:

My heart goes out to all the seniors who are unable to load geocaches in to their GPS. I too have not figured how it works for my Garmin eTrex20 since the changes.  I’ll keep trying but for now I load them manually just so we can keep geocaching.  

It would be a shame for older folks to have to give up their favourite sport because it really is a great way to combine exercise, fresh air and a hobby! 

The Garmin eTrex 20 was always able to load GPX files directly. The removal of the button only affects those using legacy GPX devices that predate direct GPX file support and mass storage mode. In the Garmin universe, that's the eTrex Legend and Vista lines and the GPSMAP60 line and anything released prior to any of those models. Basically, any GPS that garmin released prior to 2008. I know those users exist, but at this point they're kind of an endangered species (kinda like the endangered population of those who still insist on using Windows XP as their primary operating system).

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:32 PM, Go Play Outside said:

I would like to speak up for my parents Oldsters Go Play Outside who like "fraager" above are 80 years old and like "horseshoechamp" above have older GPSs that cannot accept a GPX download file directly.

This change has completely blocked my parent’s ability to geocache as they have for the last 14 years.

They have 4 different Garmin GPSMap 60 series devices that they have accumulated over the years and have found over 10,000 caches, all of which were individually loaded (and in to separate GPSs) using the "Send to GPS" feature of the website.

My parent’s computer literacy is very limited, compounded by my father’s recent and inexorable decent into Alzheimer/dementia.  My parents learned how to use the internet and email in the last 15 years just to Geocache after we introduced them to the sport.  Geocaching is their main source of physical activity and recreation.  
I moved them off of Firefox last year on to their old Internet Explorer to allow them to continue using Sent to GPS when that stopped working.

My parents bought a new GPS a couple of years ago, a GPSmap 62 but the new navigation and menu system completely stymied them and I ended up exchanging my 60CS with them so they could continue using an user interface they were familiar and comfortable with.  Changing to a new GPS compatible with GPX files is not only expensive but in their case not practical.
As for using a desktop program as an intermediate, I have used GSAK for a decade or more and I know that my Mom will not be able to use it or likely any of the other GPX management programs without constant assistance.

When my Mom called this evening to ask for help when the Send To GPS button disappeared I offered to load up all the caches in the city they are travelling to tomorrow using GSAK remotely on their computer but bulk uploads are not practical either.
As I said, they are both 80 and the caches they can do these days are limited. And those limitations are not just defined by the Terrain rating.  
My Mom carefully reads every potential cache including logs, attributes, and D/T ratings to decide if they could or should try to go after it.  Only then does she load it into the 2 or 3 GPSs they usually use.  One for each of them and a spare in case one does not work properly (like I said, the GPSs are old too).  She then prints out the cache page for reference and to make notes on.

Because of this a bulk download of caches in an area would just add a lot of unwanted caches to their GPS and make it confusing and difficult to navigate cache to cache.

They like to go on caching trips out of town and with a limit of 500 waypoint storage, bulk downloads are often not practical way to load the GPS anyway.

The only solution I can think of so far is a scripted or automatic way of passing a downloaded GPX straight to a connected GPS without user intervention but I can’t see a way to do that yet.
Failing that, this change that has been made that is supposed to remove a feature that was getting little use is going to have a huge effect on my parents and I can’t imagine they are alone in this. 

My father has lost the ability to read, he is almost deaf (has been for decades) but can no longer read subtitles on TV and his remaining forms of entertainment and passing the time are getting very limited.  Geocaching is the one thing he wants to do to alleviate the boredom and this may be being taken away from him as well.
I know this may seem like a unique and limited use case but it affects us and I imagine others as well.

I hope there is a solution but I can’t see one yet.
Lee

Edit: update, just talked to my Mom again and she says that she is too old to learn a new GPS or new software.  If I can't find a seamless transparent way to load caches on their GPS then they are done caching, which would be heart-breaking for them

This is one reason exactly why, and all software development organizations should know this, you enhance or create new features without ending or preventing existing functionality from working.  What was two clicks for me to load a 'cache is now seven clicks, a drag and drop and another two clicks to close opened windows.  A pain, but at least I can keep 'caching... :)

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, Mineral2 said:

The Garmin eTrex 20 was always able to load GPX files directly. The removal of the button only affects those using legacy GPX devices that predate direct GPX file support and mass storage mode. In the Garmin universe, that's the eTrex Legend and Vista lines and the GPSMAP60 line and anything released prior to any of those models. Basically, any GPS that garmin released prior to 2008. I know those users exist, but at this point they're kind of an endangered species (kinda like the endangered population of those who still insist on using Windows XP as their primary operating system).

Sure, there may be few of us, but why kill us off?  The introduction enhanced or improved features for the new could have been done without affecting the old.  (And XP still really is the best OS of all time... ;) )

16 minutes ago, $cammer said:

This is one reason exactly why, and all software development organizations should know this, you enhance or create new features without ending or preventing existing functionality from working. 

You realize the plugin support was dropped for security reasons, do you? Do you really want to continue using unsecure technology? It's too bad that some people will not be able to adjust to the change but it had to be made, in fact it was long overdue.

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Everyone can adjust to change.

No, as eloquently stated by Go Play Outside, and re-quoted for convenience just a few posts above.

People with dementia, seniors often, cannot learn new things.  My dear mother forgot how to make coffee, something she used to do every day. I tried to teach her how to use a microwave oven to reheat meals-on-wheels. There are a lot of steps when writing that down as a procedure, and sadly she couldn't manage it.

We can't fix dementia, but the more logical/clean/simple a user interface, the better the odds that someone suffering from it can still manage.

• Upvote 2

how can I transfer a pocket query to my GPS (transfer in bulk). If this is not possible, the Pocket queries have no use for me. some time ago whenever I created a PQ,  I received a mail with the pocket query attached (GPC file) and I could download the query as whole (1 file) to my computer (MAC). afterwards it was easy to transfer that one file to my GPS (Garmin Etrex 30) and 1000 caches were uploaded  immediately. Now it seems to be not possible anymore.

23 minutes ago, lowie14 said:

how can I transfer a pocket query to my GPS (transfer in bulk). If this is not possible, the Pocket queries have no use for me. some time ago whenever I created a PQ,  I received a mail with the pocket query attached (GPC file) and I could download the query as whole (1 file) to my computer (MAC). afterwards it was easy to transfer that one file to my GPS (Garmin Etrex 30) and 1000 caches were uploaded  immediately. Now it seems to be not possible anymore.

The process for transferring PQs hasn't changed. After you've run a PQ you'll get an email containing a link to a zip file. Download that file, unzip the two GPX files (one for the caches and the other for any waypoints) from it and copy them to the Garmin\GPX folder on your Etrex 30.

• Helpful 1
30 minutes ago, lowie14 said:

Some time ago whenever I created a PQ,  I received a mail with the pocket query attached (GPC file) and I could download the query as whole (1 file) to my computer (MAC). Afterwards it was easy to transfer that one file to my GPS (Garmin Etrex 30) and 1000 caches were uploaded  immediately. Now it seems to be not possible any more.

Your issue is off topic for this Release Note thread.

Anyway: You still got an email but nowadays it contains a download link instead of an attached file. Hit the link and the PQ will download immediately.

Edited by HHL
  • Helpful 1
On 10/24/2018 at 4:42 PM, Ewe&Me said:

Hmm, what do you mean by "manually"? The etrex 20 is new enough to be used as flash device, so you "just" download the gpx file to the GPS and that's it. I think it's just one click more than with the plugin. And you even can create lists and send the whole list to the GPS. OR create pocket queries which in my eyes is the best option.

On 9/11/2018 at 2:55 PM, Fah-Troop said:

I too struggled with the lose of the send to GPS function and it took a few times to get the correct procedure.  on the garmin GPSMAP64 once you go to the download and it asks run save or cancel, you need to click the save button and go to save as then be sure it's going to the garmin and open the GPX file folder.  then  it should show up like all the other caches that were downloaded with the go to GPS button, hope this helps.  A lot better then creating a list and then transferring that list from/to the computer then  to the GPS.

Sorry, I don't think saving every single cache as a file is the best idea ;) Your GPS supports so many caches that you'd better go for pocket queries ;)

On 10/25/2018 at 7:29 PM, Al81 said:

When we download geocaches (by using pocket query, List or gpx) the description, hint, and recent logs don't download.

Not enough info... If you check the files they DO have the info you're talking about! So you either have a GPS that isn't capable of showing this info or you're using some weird way to send these files to your GPS.

So please, if you want to solve this, get us some more info regarding what EXACTLY you're doing!

If I did correctly add some geocaches to my Garmin eTrex20 where on the gps would I look for it?  I don’t use maps on my gps.  In the past when out searching for caches I would go to Geocaches, choose one and it goes to the basic map, then click Go and go to Compass.  

Now with the changes and my inability to figure out how to get geocaches from my laptop to my Garmin I manually enter the coordinates under Waypoints - time consuming but at least we can continue to geocache!  

The laptop does indicate that I have moved a file to the gps but I can’t find it.  

16 minutes ago, Ewe&Me said:

If I did correctly add some geocaches to my Garmin eTrex20 where on the gps would I look for it?

It would be under geocaches. The eTrex 20 has a separate geocaching section/app where you can search for installed geocaches and read the description and hint etc. This is assuming that you put the GPX file in the GPX folder on the GPS.

I haven’t found anything new under geocaches.  Every once in a while I go back at it and try something new but still without success.  I won’t give up!  Right now my biggest problem is that I don’t understand GPX files enough to ask an intelligent question in this entirely new to me process.  

Question 1: Are the geocaches that you are loading near your current location? To keep the devices operating quickly and smoothly, Garmin limits the list to caches within a certain radius from your location, usually around 100 miles. If you're loading caches farther out, they may not appear in your list.

Question 2: Do you have any filters active? It's possible that no caches are being displayed because they are being filtered from view. Check your geocaching filters and make sure it is set to "Show All."

30 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

It would be under geocaches. The eTrex 20 has a separate geocaching section/app where you can search for installed geocaches and read the description and hint etc. This is assuming that you put the GPX file in the GPX folder on the GPS.

You need to be precise: The folder's name is \Garmin\GPX

And the files just need to be stored there. That's it!

I’ve never had a problem until we lost the ‘send to gps’ function.  But yes, the geocaches are all fairly close to home.  I doubt that I would have any filters active.  I’m not a Premium member so i’ve never downloaded lists or used filters.  Previously it was never a problem to download many geocaches individually and quickly.  I know, I know - many of you are rolling your eyes!  ? 

I’m sure this entire problem is due to me not knowing how to handle gpx files.  I will ask more direct questions as I play with it some more!

3 hours ago, Ewe&Me said:

If I did correctly add some geocaches to my Garmin eTrex20 where on the gps would I look for it?  I don’t use maps on my gps.  In the past when out searching for caches I would go to Geocaches, choose one and it goes to the basic map, then click Go and go to Compass.  

Now with the changes and my inability to figure out how to get geocaches from my laptop to my Garmin I manually enter the coordinates under Waypoints - time consuming but at least we can continue to geocache!  

The laptop does indicate that I have moved a file to the gps but I can’t find it.  

It's a process that you would never guess.  It's strange, not intuitive at all.  You have to follow steps.  But it's actually pretty easy to place one GPX file from a cache page.  It's a breeze to place a bunch of selected caches using "Send To Garmin", but requires some setup first.  And Pocket Queries are also pretty crazy, but with practice, not so bad.  Handheld GPSs are all manually loaded (except for the latest models).  I just spend a few minutes the day before a cache run, and load caches.

As mentioned, place a GPX file into the Garmin's "Garmin/GPX" folder.  There may be a bunch of ".GPX" files there already.

To save one cache file, click "GPX File" on a cache page, and save it to the proper folder on the GPS.  On a modern Garmin GPS, the folder is Garmin/GPX.

Premium Members can save "Lists" of select caches or "Pocket Queries" of entire areas.  Lists and Pocket Queries each work differently and have their own benefits, yet have features that overlap.  It's good to learn both.  And yes, if you're not a paying member, you won't have the convenience of Premium Features.  But you can save one GPX file from a cache page.

It's tough to provide specific steps when your system is unknown.  But for example, in IE11 in Windows 10, click the "GPX File" button on a cache page, and a box pops up at the bottom of the page.  Now you can choose "Save As..." which allows you do choose where to save the file, to the folder on the device itself [Garmin GPS Drive]:/Garmin/GPX.  Or you can let it go into the default "Downloads" on your PC and copy it from there to that Garmin/GPX folder on your GPS.

For a List, you will use a new(ish) button to the right of each list, called "Send To Garmin", for easy one-click loading of all the caches you picked for the List. 

For a Pocket Query, uznip the file, place the GPX file(s) into [Garmin GPS Drive]:/Garmin/GPX.

It's good at that time to remove old GPX files, place new ones.

Edited by kunarion

So I had a look at your profile - 378 finds, plus I assume some DNFs in there as well.

Let's assume that you have only ever loaded geocaches using the Send to GPS button, which creates a GPX file for each geocache. And if you've never bothered to explore the contents of your GPS by opening it up its file folders as a mounted drive, you're going to have at least 378 gpx files in that /Garmin/GPX folder, all named <gccode>.gpx. 

The eTrex 20 is limited to having 2000 GPX files at any one time, and when you reach that limit, it just simply refuses to read any more than that. Though you may also have waypoints marked and some tracks and routes saved, I doubt you have 2000 gpx files causing your problem. Still, it's a good idea every now and then to go through and delete unnecessary files.

So, I would recommend plugging your GPS into the computer and when it mounts as a drive, open up an Explorer window (not Internet Explorer, but your local files and folders) and go to the drive that your GPS mounts as - might be E: or F: etc. If you happen to be a mac user, just open up a Finder window and it'll show up in the list of devices by the name Garmin. Within the initial drive, there will be a folder called Garmin, and within that is everything that the GPS uses. the GPX folder has the GPX files and you can delete any files that begin with GC#####.gpx where the # represents the rest of the GC code. Again, if you're a mac user, you'll need to empty the recycle bin after deleting them to actually purge them from the device. If you don't have any other data that you wish to keep - non-geocaching waypoints, routes, or tracks, you could simply delete everything in the GPX folder. This folder is also where you need to save GPX files that you download.

The other thing that you can do is delete the databases in case they became corrupted and are causing you not to see any geocaches. Back in the Garmin folder, you will see another directory called SQL. You can delete this whole directory outright. The GPS will recreate it and its contents upon next boot.

The easiest way to load caches on the Garmin Etrex 20 is to follow the directions on this blog post https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2017/04/new-a-magic-button-for-your-garmin-gps/

If you don't have anything on your device you want to save, you might want to reset your device to factory settings. This should eliminate any anomolies that were introduced during your unseccesful  efforts to load caches.

Yay, after an hour and a half of trying everything but the right thing I finally somehow managed to get one geocache on to the gps.  Hopefully tomorrow I can do a second one in minutes - if I remember what I did!  lol

Thanks for all your help and encouragement!  

• Upvote 2
On 8/29/2018 at 10:49 PM, noncentric said:

The removal of the "Send to GPS" and "LOC" buttons made the "Read about waypoint downloads" link that is directly next to "Downloads" more noticeable, to me. I clicked on it and it seems out-of-sync with what the website currently offers.  The linked page mentions:

• .loc  and  .kml  files as waypoint file formats
  • Various software programs that purportedly support GPX files.  Not sure if that list is up-to-date. I was surprised the Garmin Basecamp wasn't listed.
  • Sounds generally out-dated from this line " Some devices support and read Geocaching GPX files directly, like the Magellan Triton and Garmin Colorado.

I'd think it better to remove that "Downloads: Read about waypoint downloads" line and rename the download button to "Download GPX" - so that it matches the labeling that appears in the map pop-up window.

Or even change both the pop-up and cache page to read "Download GPX File".

Just noticed that this actually happened.  The OCD side of me thanks you for that!

Hello

ive been away from downloading geocaches to my explorist GC and 110.  

My difficulty is trying to get cache information to my gps from the website.  

I have a Mac , which may be a problem, I just upgraded to premium membership.  

Can some one give me step by step way of downloading the info to my gps.  Im very frustrated... 

i have used you you tube sites but still can’t figure out what to do with the file once it’s on my computer

please help

Macadoo1

On 12/26/2018 at 8:44 PM, macadoo1 said:

Hello

ive been away from downloading geocaches to my explorist GC and 110.  

My difficulty is trying to get cache information to my gps from the website.  

I have a Mac , which may be a problem, I just upgraded to premium membership.  

Can some one give me step by step way of downloading the info to my gps.  Im very frustrated... 

i have used you you tube sites but still can’t figure out what to do with the file once it’s on my computer

please help

Macadoo1

Are you able to view your GPSr's folders when you connect your GPSr to your computer?

If so, then do you see a "geocaches" folder there?

If so, then put the gpx files that you downloaded from the website into that "geocaches" folder.

Hello all,

Success!  I have come up with 2 methods to load individual caches onto older Garmin GPS's

Note: I have edited Method 2 since my original post after JimJinks pointed me to a utility that will convert a batch file to an executable .exe file.

I left a posting on the original Release Notes thread a while ago where I explained how this change affected my parents and their ability to selectively load caches in their older GPSMap 60 series GPS s. The post is here:

Over the last few months I have been loading their GPS s with GSAK for them but I have been meaning to get back to this issue to see if there was a solution that would allow them to regain the ability to load a cache, one at a time.

This weekend I knuckled down and came up with two methods depending on your version of Windows. 

Method 1 with EasyGPS you can do it in 5 clicks per cache

Method 2 and GPSBabel (using a slight variation of above technique) you can load a cache in 2 clicks!

I use Windows 10 at home and worked out the first system  but could only get it down to 5 mouse clicks.  I went to my parents who use Windows 7 but could not get the first method to work on their machine. I tried variations of the batch file technique from @JimJinks and got it to work and it is more streamlined than any version I have seen so far. 

Method 1, Windows 7, 8, or 10 and EasyGPS program

Do once to set it up:

• Install the Free version of EasyGPS. Download it here https://www.easygps.com/download.asp
  • Run the downloaded installer program to install the application.  Follow the prompts and use the default location for installation.
  • Run the EasyGPS program and under the "Edit" window choose "Preferences" and Add your GPS Make and model so it knows how to talk to it.
  • This will also associate GPX files with the EasyGPS program

To load caches with the GPS connected and turned on :

• On the cache page click on “Download GPX” near the top of the page below the coordinates, or from the pop up window on the map page when you click on a cache.
  • Make sure “Open with” is selected and EasyGPS is next to it.  Click on “OK”
  • When the EasyGPS program opens: Click “Send” button near the top of window
  • Click "OK" on Send to GPS popup window
  • Click the “X” in the top Right corner of the EasyGPS window to close it.
  • Go to the next cache and repeat

Method 2, Windows 7, 8, or 10 and GPSBabel program.

Do once to set it up. It seems like a lot but it is a detailed step by step and only needs to be done once:

• Install free GPSbabel program. Download it from here: https://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html
  • Run the downloaded installer program to install the application.  Follow the prompts and use the default location for installation.
  • Create a batch file in a folder on your computer.  Here is the step by step:  Note a click on something uses the normal Left button on the mouse and Right click uses the other button on the right side, that you usually don't use.
  • I have put a copy of this batch file on my Google drive and the link below will allow you to download it.  You can preview it to see what it contains.
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_unRSYD9cDiOSxSQbBCqM5Pux63mzNBY/view?usp=sharing
  • The above section with the line through it will only work on Windows 7.  A better solution now is this next section which will work with all versions of Windows.
  • I created a tiny program called SendToGarmin.exe which replicates the actions of the batch file JimJinks created.  You can actually put it anywhere on your hard drive.  My instructions below specify a new folder step by step. Feel free to put it somewhere else if you are comfortable with Windows.

• Here is a link to it.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/19xkd_wXWTD7F59XFF9C7lVwucF4ZF8-h/view?usp=sharing

• Right click on the line above and select "Open in new tab" on the popup window.

• Go to that tab and choose "Download" to save it to your computer. 
  • When prompted click on "Save File"
  • In the new window where it prompts you where to put it, scroll up or down on the left pane of the window to find your the "C Drive" and select it by clicking on it. 
  • Click on the "New folder" button near the top of the window.
  • Type LoadGPS to name it and press the Enter key to name it.
  • Double click in this new LoadGPS folder to open it.
  • Click the "Save" button to save it there.

This is what is in the batch file / executable:  If you or someone you know wants to, you can create your own batch file by copying these commands into a text file and renaming it to a bat file.  It is essentially the same as the command in the top post except I removed the quotes around %1 in the first line and added a second line to delete the downloaded GPX file after it gets sent to your GPS.

"c:\Program Files (x86)\GPSBabel\gpsbabel.exe" -i gpx -f %1 -o garmin -F usb:
del %1
  • Setup continued...
  • Click on the windows icon on the bottom Left corner of your monitor and type "internet" on the keyboard.  It will pull up a list of programs and commands that start with Internet.
  • Click on "Internet Options" under the heading Control Panel
  • Click on the "Programs" Tab
  • Click on the "Set Programs" button
  • Click on the line "Associate a File Type or Protocol with a Program"
  • Scroll down the list until your see ".gpx" on the left and click on that line to select it
  • Click on the button on the top right called "Change Program"
  • Click on the "Browse..." button to bring up a selection window
  • In the box near the bottom next to File name type in C:/LoadGPS/Sendtogarmin.bat  Or alternatively you can navigate to this file using the folder and file lists windows
  • Click on the "Open" button to set the batch file as the program associated with gpx files
  • Close the windows to get back to the desktop.  You are done the one time setup!

To load caches with the GPS connected and turned on :

• On the cache page click on “Download GPX” near the top of the page below the coordinates, or from the pop up window on the map page when you click on a cache
  • A small window will appear at the bottom of the screen prompting you to open the gpx file.  Click "Open"   The file is converted and sent to the GPS by GPSBabel.

That's it. 2 clicks!

Method 1 is an easier setup but more steps to load each cache.  Method 2 it is more complicated to set up but it is as easy to load as it was before.

The only thing keeping Windows 10 from being able to use the second method is that you can not associate a  file type to a batch file, as far as I can tell.  Only .com and .exe files.  If someone can find a way it would allow you to use the second method. 

We have to use a batch file to allow us to pass command line arguments to GPSBabel.  I tried to use a shortcut to the program and add the arguments to it's properties but that did not work.  Fixed now that I created an exe file.

The first method would work better if repeated downloads of .gpx files would load into an already open instance of EasyGPS.  You could download a bunch and send them all to the GPS at once.  Unfortunately each time you download a .gpx it opens a new copy of EasyGPS with that single cache in it.  You have to send the cache to the GPS and close each window.

If anyone finds a better method or a tweak for one of these please let me know or comment in this thread.

If you need more details for some of these steps, I or others on the forums will be glad to help.

Thanks @JimJinksfor the batch file.

My Mother is very happy that she has the ability to load caches again like she used to.

Lee

Go Play Outside

Edited by Go Play Outside
Update with executable version of batch file.
  • Helpful 2
On 9/9/2018 at 11:04 AM, Bean & Sprout said:
On 8/31/2018 at 5:38 AM, AaronDodds said:

For anyone having big issues with older GPS systems such as mine, Legend H. Garmin express and the sort will not work. Download a program called EASYGPS. Download all your GPX files from geocaching into a folder. Open EasyGPS, click open and select all geocaches you want to trasnsfer. Hit transfer and then it will send it to the GPS.

I understand some older folk / less computer experienced might have a bit of an issue understanding some of the steps, so heres a quick video I made -

Upvote me if its been helpful/works (bottom right up arrow, click it)

Poor "update" from Groundspeak ... but nevermind, a bit of a heads up would have been nice. From a point of new starters, this is going to make the whole process much more complicating. So instead of a transfer button, you now have to find out how to transfer a GPX file before you even start geocaching!

Thanks Aaron.  I have downloaded the EasyGPS and it has transferred a geocache to my 'ancient' Etrex Legend. 

I feel much happier that I will be able to upload caches again and can continue saving up for a newer model in the meantime.

I've always been a proponent of using a waypoint manager such as EasyGPS, Garmin Basecamp, GSAK, or iCaching (for a MAC) for transferring cache data to (and from) a GPS.  The Send To GPS or Send To Garmin allows one to send GPX data using the website but each of those waypoint managers also allow you to *manage* a list of caches, organize them into different areas, by type, etc.  While the user interface for each is someone that one will have to become familiar with they're relatively easy to learn (GSAK has a reputation for having a learning a curve but spending just a bit of time reading the GSAK user manual and one can learn enough to get the job done.  GSAK also has an active user community and a forum for asking questions.  

• Helpful 1
On 1/15/2019 at 7:19 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've always been a proponent of using a waypoint manager such as EasyGPS, Garmin Basecamp, GSAK, or iCaching (for a MAC) for transferring cache data to (and from) a GPS.  The Send To GPS or Send To Garmin allows one to send GPX data using the website but each of those waypoint managers also allow you to *manage* a list of caches, organize them into different areas, by type, etc.  While the user interface for each is someone that one will have to become familiar with they're relatively easy to learn (GSAK has a reputation for having a learning a curve but spending just a bit of time reading the GSAK user manual and one can learn enough to get the job done.  GSAK also has an active user community and a forum for asking questions.  

Good points NYPaddleCacher.  I use all of those and Love GSAK which I have used since 2004.  I liked Mapsource better than Base Camp for a lot of things. 

Admittedly the methods I outline above may seem like a lot of work to replicate an old feature for old GPS devices but it is for a reason.

My parents are in a minority but have some specific needs that I am sure are shared by others.  I spelled out some of their requirements in my original post that I link to in my post above.

Some of them specifically are:

• They are older (79 & 80) with very limited technical capability
  • A very limited ability to learn new programs and specifically complex ones.  My Mom learned how to use email and a web browser in the last 10 years since we introduced them to Geocaching just so they could cache.  My Dad is succumbing to dementia/alzheimers and is loosing his ability to read.
  • They own 4 GPSMap 60 series devices, some donated to them as older ones started falling apart.  Note that my parents have found almost 11000 caches since 2004 using these devices and mostly manual loads under the old system.
  • They are on a fixed income and do not want to buy a new GPS that can accept .gpx files natively.
  • They do not want to/can't learn a new user interface used on the new GPS devices anyway.
  • They have limited mobility and there are a lot of caches around our area that they can not do safely.
  • My Mom carefully reads every potential cache including logs, attributes, and D/T ratings to decide if they could or should try to go after it.  Only then does she load it into the 2 or 3 GPS's they usually use.  One for each of them and a spare in case one does not work properly.  She then prints out the cache page for reference and to make notes on.
  • Their GPS devices only hold 500 or 1000 waypoints at a time so they don't want to just load a batch of everything in the area via pocket query or GSAK download that I could automate for them.  Batch loads (which I have done for them) inevitably loads caches on their GPS that they should not do but tempts them to try .
  • Despite their limitations Geocaching is still their main source of physical activity and recreation and one the the few entertainments my Dad still enjoys.  
  • They also like to go on caching trips out of town and with limited waypoint storage, bulk downloads are often not a practical way to load the GPS's.

All this to say that the loss of the "Send to GPS" feature compatible with their older GPS's was a big hurdle to them.  It completely blocked their ability to Geocache.

The solutions developed above, while a bit cumbersome to set up, will restore their ability to easily load specific caches onto their existing GPS with no more effort that the old "Send to GPS" button did. 

Allowing them to continue caching like they have done since 2004.

Minor typo repair.
On 1/15/2019 at 5:25 PM, Go Play Outside said:

All this to say that the loss of the "Send to GPS" feature compatible with their older GPS's was a big hurdle to them.  It completely blocked their ability to Geocache.

The solutions developed above, while a bit cumbersome to set up, will restore their ability to easily load specific caches onto their existing GPS with no more effort that the old "Send to GPS" button did. 

Allowing them to continue caching like they have done since 2004.

I recall your initial post and I'm glad that you were able to come up with a solution.  It seems like you'd also need a method to remove caches from their device, although it may come up infrequently enough that you could just visit them and do it for them.  I don't personally know how to program a solution for that, so I apologize if my comment seems like a detraction to what you've created. I don't mean it to be.  I'm guessing that a separate .bat  could be created, which could be executed periodically.

@noncentric I did consider that as well, good point.

I made up a one page quick reference for my Mom, basically line from line from the manual plus a closeup picture of the buttons since most of the text is worn off the buttons on most of their GSPs.

Here is what I gave them in case anyone else might be able to use it.

How to delete all waypoints at once from GPS.

1.     Press “Find.”

2.     Select “Waypoints,” then press “Enter.”

3.     Press "Menu", Select “Delete” then press “Enter”.

4.     Select “All Symbols” then press “Enter”.

5.     Select “Yes” then press “Enter”.

garmin-60csx-front-buttons.jpg.42e487f3e42f40f3e80465e6de144f55.jpg

There are a couple of ways to do it but this seemed the most straight forward.

Fixed added missing step.
  • Helpful 2
On 1/16/2019 at 9:34 PM, Go Play Outside said:

@noncentric I did consider that as well, good point.

I made up a one page quick reference for my Mom, basically line from line from the manual plus a closeup picture of the buttons since most of the text is worn off the buttons on most of their GSPs.

Very nice.  I've gone through the process of teaching tech to non-tech people, and step-by-step instructions work very well.  It may seem tedious to those that are familiar with computing, but it's not aimed at those types of users anyway.  It seems that as long as users don't hit any roadblocks, which step-by-step instructions will achieve, then they feel more confident and are more open to learning even more things that they would've felt "too old to learn" before.  Glad you were able to keep your parents caching!

I have attempted to download caches using the gpx dowload feature.  The caches show up on my oregon 450 map screen, in the waypoint manager, but not in the geocache folder.  I can use the go to feature on my gps but I cannot get any other info on the caches, i.e. description, hints, logs.  Any suggestions?

55 minutes ago, sugar/spike said:

I have attempted to download caches using the gpx dowload feature.  The caches show up on my oregon 450 map screen, in the waypoint manager, but not in the geocache folder.  I can use the go to feature on my gps but I cannot get any other info on the caches, i.e. description, hints, logs.  Any suggestions?

Which folder are the gpx files placed on your 450?  They will need to be placed in the Garmin/GPX folder to be recognized as geocaches.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, RicksterB said:

I like many others find the change to downloading files most upsetting. This GPX thingy does not work. The old system was great and very easy. I have cancelled my premium membership and will likely give up the activity. Thanks for nothing

If you'd like some help before giving up the game, then feel free to ask.  The change to downloading affects single cache downloads.  If you tend to use Pocket Queries, then nothing has changed in that regard. What type of device are you using?

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, RicksterB said:

I like many others find the change to downloading files most upsetting. This GPX thingy does not work. The old system was great and very easy. I have cancelled my premium membership and will likely give up the activity. Thanks for nothing

And for that matter, the change only affects those using GPS devices that pre-date paperless caching. If you are still using a GPSMap60 series, or an eTrex Legend or Vista,  or some of the older Magellan devices, there are many reason why upgrading to something a little bit newer is worth the effort, especially for geocachers. But if you are already using a GPS with paperless caching and full GPX file support, downloading a single GPX file does the exact same thing that the "Send to my GPS" function did.

19 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

But if you are already using a GPS with paperless caching and full GPX file support, downloading a single GPX file does the exact same thing that the "Send to my GPS" function did.

Yes, it does the same thing - but the process to get the GPX file onto the GPSr is different - and it's the different process that users are upset about.  I think it's important to recognize the distinction, to best address cachers' concerns.  Once cachers that used to use "Send to my GPS" learn the new process, then things seem to go just fine.

5 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

And for that matter, the change only affects those using GPS devices that pre-date paperless caching. If you are still using a GPSMap60 series, or an eTrex Legend or Vista,  or some of the older Magellan devices, there are many reason why upgrading to something a little bit newer is worth the effort, especially for geocachers. But if you are already using a GPS with paperless caching and full GPX file support, downloading a single GPX file does the exact same thing that the "Send to my GPS" function did.

Thanks for the reply. Guess my Magellan is of the older variety.Will have to check out the new ones if we decide to carry on.