Release Notes (Website: Downloading caches to GPS devices) - August 28, 2018

6 hours ago, steben6 said:

This is directed to Ben H, and not anybody on the forums.  Could we PLEASE have the "Send to GPS" option for, say, just another month.  This would give us old timers with old GPS' time to figure out how to use the Send to GPX feature.  We manually loaded our caches in so we could go caching today, but we won't do that every day.  We are trying to learn the "Send to GPX," but we have other steps we have to take because we have two Garmin 60CSx gps', and they don't support the "Send to GPX" feature without other steps.    Please?  Just asking for a month or even a few weeks?   

The "problem" with Send to GPS has been around for years (read 1000's of posts about it) getting the button back, even for a short time,  would make no difference.  It's human nature to say "hey, we can use it again" and then look no further. Weeks later the "can't load caches" posts will return in full force.

What really surprises me is the amount of people still using outdated software, updates are not only bugfixes or improvements but also security fixes. Not having those not only puts your computer at risk but can also make data on it accessible to 3rd parties (i.e. stealing your contacts so others get spammed).

"Send to GPS" should have been removed a long time ago.

• Upvote 1

I haven't read the whole thread but like many others my GPS is old and is not recognised by my (or anyone else's) PC (etrex legend HCx - for anyone who is interested). 

The only workaround was for me to download caches one at a time using an old version of internet explorer.

Yes I asked some questions at the time and managed to find out which browser was required etc -and yes I got the help needed for the forum to do this!

I actually like this way of caching because it means I carefully research, read ahead, plan my trip and picked my caches to download.

I am very much a quality over quantity cacher.

I cannot afford a 'modern' one, and why should I when my GPS works/worked perfectly well for how I chose to cache.

Not only are you penalising us for choosing to cache this way, you are also pricing out those of us who can't afford a 'modern' device.

I just want to load up my GPS with the caches I want to find and go. 

Please give us back the option or an alternative which works for older GPSs (and cachers!)

I will add that I am not of retirement age, being half the age of the of the parents a cacher above complained on behalf of his parents for.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bean & Sprout said:

I haven't read the whole thread but like many others my GPS is old and is not recognised by my (or anyone else's) PC (etrex legend HCx - for anyone who is interested). 

The only workaround was for me to download caches one at a time using an old version of internet explorer.

Yes I asked some questions at the time and managed to find out which browser was required etc -and yes I got the help needed for the forum to do this!

I actually like this way of caching because it means I carefully research, read ahead, plan my trip and picked my caches to download.

I cannot afford a 'modern' one, and why should I when my GPS works/worked perfectly well for how I chose to cache.

Not only are you penalising us for choosing to cache this way, you are also pricing out those of us who can't afford a 'modern' device.

Please give us back the option or an alternative which works for older GPSs (and cachers!)

I will add that I am not of retirement age, being half the age of the of the parents a cacher above complained on behalf of his parents for.

I agree give us back the Send to GPS button or at least give us an alternative that is equal or as good.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, horseshoechamp said:

I agree give us back the Send to GPS button or at least give us an alternative that is equal or as good.

Read up on how the plugin worked (hint NPAPI).  It's 1995 technology with it's associated security holes. So it's not coming back. Alternatives? Plenty given. As easy as clicking once? Nope.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, horseshoechamp said:

The Button was the result of a collaboration between Garmin and Groundspeak. There had been no updates to Garmin Communicator for a long time. “Send To GPS” began breaking years ago, and people had to adapt. No notice, for the most part. Whatever they did, do that. I can follow plans pretty well, yet eventually I could not keep “Send To GPS” working. Long before it was “removed”. I did it as a personal challenge.

There is a shiny new button, “Send To Garmin”, this is the alternative, and it's more useful than the old button was. It supports Garmins that can accept GPX files directly, newer models only. Garmin doesn't provide updates for old devices, and that's simply the way of the world. Operating systems have updated security. Web browsers are dropping “Plugins” as they once were, and combinations of security measures made “Garmin Communicator” stop working.

People who are not updating their PCs see many broken things on those PCs, not just “Send To GPS”, and five thousand icons on their desktop, and half of those are copies of icons. Go look! Worse, those PCs are connected, yet by definition unsecure, operated by users who are not adept with computer settings. The perfect storm.

Geocaching.com removes or changes things all the time, and I dread the day when they remove the “opt out” features that I use. But it was high time for “Send To GPS” to go away.

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, icezebra11 said:

... you might be better off buying an updated GPS that supports .gpx files and learning to load them direct from the site rather than trying to figure out new intermediate software.

Yep. 

Folks who've asked me of all people (and directed them to the forums...  ;) the last week, I asked them what phone they have.

All have updated their phones to meet the new functions the "old model" didn't provide, yet insist on "rigging" the handheld GPS they've had for well-over ten years. 

Those phones,  as everyone knows,  have a greater cost than most of todays GPSrs. 

I don't get it...

"Send to Garmin" works similar to the "old" method, but simply won't accept long-discontinued, outdated handheld GPSrs.

- That shouldn't (really) be so tough to understand with todays tech advancing so rapidly.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Bean & Sprout said:

That is one issue with TPTB “encouraging” everyone to switch to The App (or even the web site being designed for caching by phone): Gone are the days of carefully considering which cache to hunt, planning and traveling to that one. Now you open the App to see “what bahzillion pill bottles are along this street”.

I hope you don't resort to the Pokey-Man style of Geocaching. That you can use a simple “loader” as you select caches as before, or if it's just a cache or two, type coords manually. Or use a combination of things as appropriate.

2 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

All have updated their phones to meet the new functions the "old model" didn't provide, yet insist on "rigging" the handheld GPS they've had for well-over ten years. 

Those phones,  as everyone knows,  have a greater cost than most of todays GPSrs.

+1

There are many threads around here about how The App doesn't even run on old phones, the kind that receive no OS updates anymore.  Those phones are ancient, like four years old!  Get with the program, people! B)

On 8/31/2018 at 10:38 AM, AaronDodds said:

For anyone having big issues with older GPS systems such as mine, Legend H. Garmin express and the sort will not work. Download a program called EASYGPS. Download all your GPX files from geocaching into a folder. Open EasyGPS, click open and select all geocaches you want to trasnsfer. Hit transfer and then it will send it to the GPS.

I understand some older folk / less computer experienced might have a bit of an issue understanding some of the steps, so heres a quick video I made -

Upvote me if its been helpful/works (bottom right up arrow, click it)

Poor "update" from Groundspeak ... but nevermind, a bit of a heads up would have been nice. From a point of new starters, this is going to make the whole process much more complicating. So instead of a transfer button, you now have to find out how to transfer a GPX file before you even start geocaching!

Thanks Aaron.  I have downloaded the EasyGPS and it has transferred a geocache to my 'ancient' Etrex Legend. 

I feel much happier that I will be able to upload caches again and can continue saving up for a newer model in the meantime.

I only found your post after being pointed at it after emailed Groundspeak to voice my concern.

Why they didn't foresee this issue, and haven't officially updated on the options since realising it has affected a significant number of cachers, is beyond me.

To those saying there are load of posts about it, we don't all have time to read hundreds of forum threads on the subject, especially when they are peppered with post saying like it or lump it.

I rarely use the forums; mostly when I hit an issue and need help and inevitably have to hurdle through the unhelpful posters to find the helpful ones.

I would far rather be out caching or spending time writing up my logs and don't want to be buoyed down trying to get my head around techy stuff.

Thank you for taking the time to explain in an easy step by step way for those of us whose heads start to spin at anything remotely techy.  Most appreciated!

7 hours ago, Bean & Sprout said:

you are also pricing out those of us who can't afford a 'modern' device.

Cache with a phone.

(I keep banging this drum...)

Even if you buy a phone specifically for caching (say because you don't want to drop a $1000 fashion accessory in the mud), it'll out-perform and under-cost a dedicated GPS unit.  (See AliExpress for cheap rugged phones that'll survive all sorts of abuse.)  Whole 'nuther thread.

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, kunarion said:

+1

There are many threads around here about how The App doesn't even run on old phones, the kind that receive no OS updates anymore.  Those phones are ancient, like four years old!  Get with the program, people! B)

Posts like this are unhelpful and really don't encourage use of the forums IMO.

As a single parent who has been dealing with a cancer diagnosis I do not have spare money to buy the latest phone or GPS gadget on a whim.

I only got a smart phone a year ago which was a hand me down.

When that rapidly became obsolete I did at least have a few months notice to make a decision on replacing it.

I eventually opted to buy a newer one which incidentley was with money I had been saving towards a new GPS.

Sweeping statements about what you consider ancient, and the implication that we can all just get an up to date device are not realistic.

5 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Cache with a phone.

Even if you buy a phone specifically for caching (say because you don't want to drop a $1000 fashion accessory in the mud), it'll out-perform and under-cost a dedicated GPS unit.  (See AliExpress for cheap rugged phones that'll survive all sorts of abuse.)  Whole 'nuther thread.

I do cache with an  'ancient' phone.  It is highly unreliable (I live very remotely so often get no signal) and is woefully  inaccurate putting me many feet away from where I need to be.

I much prefer my GPS which has a much higher rate of accuracy, doesn't mind getting wet or muddy and gets me to GZ every time.

• Helpful 1
27 minutes ago, Bean & Sprout said:

Posts like this are unhelpful and really don't encourage use of the forums IMO.

As a single parent who has been dealing with a cancer diagnosis I do not have spare money to buy the latest phone or GPS gadget on a whim.

I only got a smart phone a year ago which was a hand me down.

When that rapidly became obsolete I did at least have a few months notice to make a decision on replacing it.

I eventually opted to buy a newer one which incidentley was with money I had been saving towards a new GPS.

Sweeping statements about what you consider ancient, and the implication that we can all just get an up to date device are not realistic.

Um, yeah. Cool. My point was that the new phones come out, the old phones are not supported anymore. And the Apps stop working. The phone companies actually are not consulting me on what phones to make obsolete. If I demand that you buy a new phone, it doesn't invalidate the Forums. I'm pretty sure I didn't demand you buy a new phone, a command which is to be obeyed. I have that power?

Wait a minit! I put a leetle sarcastic smilie to show that I was not altogether serious, and it transferred to the quote! Are you sure I'm the one with the use of forum problem? :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Bean & Sprout said:

I do cache with an  'ancient' phone.  It is highly unreliable (I live very remotely so often get no signal) and is woefully  inaccurate putting me many feet away from where I need to be.

I much prefer my GPS which has a much higher rate of accuracy, doesn't mind getting wet or muddy and gets me to GZ every time.

+1

My phone loses signal in the middle of town.  Dead spots.  Always a surprise.  That's when I discover that my "offline" Geocache info is wholly insufficient for use offline. Nice as a backup, though.  HTC U11, I bought in March, now that model is over a year old.  The clock is ticking. :P

I hope people can find convenient ways to continue to use "old" GPSs just fine.  My cache buddy used to be right on top of a cache with his GPSMAP 60CSx, when I was 70 feet off in the bushes with my Oregon.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:38 AM, AaronDodds said:

For anyone having big issues with older GPS systems such as mine, Legend H. Garmin express and the sort will not work. Download a program called EASYGPS. Download all your GPX files from geocaching into a folder. Open EasyGPS, click open and select all geocaches you want to trasnsfer. Hit transfer and then it will send it to the GPS.

I understand some older folk / less computer experienced might have a bit of an issue understanding some of the steps, so heres a quick video I made -

Upvote me if its been helpful/works (bottom right up arrow, click it)

Poor "update" from Groundspeak ... but nevermind, a bit of a heads up would have been nice. From a point of new starters, this is going to make the whole process much more complicating. So instead of a transfer button, you now have to find out how to trasnsfer a GPX file before you even start geocaching!

Nice! These instructions would be great in their own thread.  So people can find it easier, titled "Load a GPS with EasyGPS" or something.  You know, in case some "Release Notes" thread gets cleaned out. ;)

12 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Cache with a phone.

We discussed this at an event  (spares for a group future project) , and found the phone you've mentioned a few times (BV6000) as low as $160. on ebay.

They'd be used as handheld GPSrs, never seeing a "data plan".

With most modern phones' GPS  equal to handhelds these days in "accuracy" , they seem to be a good, inexpensive  option for folks who may have issues picking up a new model handheld.  :)

With the risk of turning this into another smartphone vs gpsr debate thread, I'll add that it's very easy for someone - whether a phone or handheld user - to latch on to the features or drawbacks they personally experience and project that to the entire product or community. It's important to keep in mine that everyone uses their devices differently, so a criticism from one person, or a praise, may not be applicable or may not even be accurate, in your own case.  It's good to be aware, but since on both sides of the fence there are people who live by their device, or have had awful experiences and switched devices, try to understand that your own opinion - either way - isn't a universal fact; it's a subjective experience that can be helpful to know when making decisions. Let's not make it into another "my dad is better than your dad" argument.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 3

I too struggled with the lose of the send to GPS function and it took a few times to get the correct procedure.  on the garmin GPSMAP64 once you go to the download and it asks run save or cancel, you need to click the save button and go to save as then be sure it's going to the garmin and open the GPX file folder.  then  it should show up like all the other caches that were downloaded with the go to GPS button, hope this helps.  A lot better then creating a list and then transferring that list from/to the computer then  to the GPS.

On 9.9.2018 at 2:37 AM, steben6 said:

This is directed to Ben H, and not anybody on the forums.  Could we PLEASE have the "Send to GPS" option for, say, just another month.  This would give us old timers with old GPS' time to figure out how to use the Send to GPX feature.  We manually loaded our caches in so we could go caching today, but we won't do that every day.  We are trying to learn the "Send to GPX," but we have other steps we have to take because we have two Garmin 60CSx gps', and they don't support the "Send to GPX" feature without other steps.    Please?  Just asking for a month or even a few weeks?   

I'm not Ben, but I'm pretty sure his answer would be similar, but in different words possibly... ;) No, you can't get back that functionality at all, period!

It's more than "just" put in one line of code into the page and there is a good reason to have it removed. It anyways was in there WAY too long as it caused so many issues und discussions and requests from people who already did upgrade their systems to actual browsers. Take it as a man and simply forget your request. Go learn how to deal with it. You've got more than one answer already on how to deal with it.

Create a pocket query, load the GPX into MapSource and send the caches to your devices. Easy! That way also works for single caches, but it's not that much fun, I agree. You can also create a bookmarklist and create a PQ from that. You do have some options, so just go and give it a try!

• Helpful 1
On 9.9.2018 at 4:29 PM, kunarion said:

That is one issue with TPTB “encouraging” everyone to switch to The App (or even the web site being designed for caching by phone): Gone are the days of carefully considering which cache to hunt, planning and traveling to that one. Now you open the App to see “what bahzillion pill bottles are along this street”.

I hope you don't resort to the Pokey-Man style of Geocaching. That you can use a simple “loader” as you select caches as before, or if it's just a cache or two, type coords manually. Or use a combination of things as appropriate.

It's still possible to "carefully considering which cache to hunt, planning and traveling to that one."

There exists great tools like https://cachetur.no that helps you to do just that...

On 28/08/2018 at 8:10 PM, noncentric said:

How is it "much more difficult"?

With the GPX File button, you just attach your GPSr to your computer (which was also necessary with Send to GPS) and click a button on the webpage (which was also necessary with Send to GPS). The only difference is that now, instead of waiting for the plug-in to get started, you tell the computer to save the file to the Garmin/GPX folder of your GPSr.

Have you tried the new method yet? Maybe try it a few times before deciding if it's worse or not.

Removing the Send to GPS option is an overall benefit for the many cachers that have not continued using outdated browser versions. There have been 1+ posts in the forums every week from cachers, old and new, confused about the button not working anymore. This saves them that frustration.

When the file is downloaded to my PC I click on it and it drops it into my collection on BaceCamp then I have to drag it to Internal Storage on BaceCamp.

How do i go about telling the computer to save the file into Garmin/GPX file?    Is the Garmin/GPX folder in the Garmin? 

Edited by Honey Bournes
3 hours ago, Honey Bournes said:

When the file is downloaded to my PC I click on it and it drops it into my collection on BaceCamp then I have to drag it to Internal Storage on BaceCamp.

How do i go about telling the computer to save the file into Garmin/GPX file?    Is the Garmin/GPX folder in the Garmin? 

It depends on the browser you're using. They behave slightly different in terms of their defaults. Firefox for instance allows you to chose that in the options settings. Other browser have similar settings, but in different places.

And yes, that folder is on the Garmin and it doesn't make a difference if you put it onto the device itself or onto the SD card in the device as long as the folder name is correct.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:53 PM, Chris Baker said:

I had purposely not updated my explorer browser so I could keep using this feature after it stopped working on Firefox.

You just answered your own query. The number of people keeping out of date operating systems and browsers because of this feature is alarming. Its not worth putting your computer at risk when there are viable (and arguably better) alternatives that work with up to date software.

• Helpful 2
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, thebruce0 said:

With the risk of turning this into another smartphone vs gpsr debate thread, I'll add that it's very easy for someone - whether a phone or handheld user - to latch on to the features or drawbacks they personally experience and project that to the entire product or community. It's important to keep in mine that everyone uses their devices differently, so a criticism from one person, or a praise, may not be applicable or may not even be accurate, in your own case.  It's good to be aware, but since on both sides of the fence there are people who live by their device, or have had awful experiences and switched devices, try to understand that your own opinion - either way - isn't a universal fact; it's a subjective experience that can be helpful to know when making decisions. Let's not make it into another "my dad is better than your dad" argument.

Thank you so much.  Nicely said.   It's so sad that people can't just like what they like without trying to make others feel horrible that they don't like the same thing.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, thebruce0 said:

Who's arguing?   One gave yet another option, and one said that's not a bad idea.    That's all...

I use an E-Trex Venture HC that's several years old. Downloading the .gpx files doesn't do me any good, because my GPS doesn't show up when I hook it up to my computer.  I can't transfer the files from my computer to my GPS. Entering them in manually is fine for 1-2 caches at a time, but I'm not going to manually enter in the coords for a dozen or so caches if I want to do a full day of caching.  

I guess my caching activity is going to drop off significantly unless/until I can save up enough for a new GPS. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by TrekkerPooch
1 minute ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Does your Garmin have a Mass Storage Mode option?  Turn that on.

Those old Garmin units communicate with the Garmin Serial Protocol only. Apps like MapSource or GpsBabel are able to send waypoints and geocaches to those kind of units.

Having said that: Download the GPX files to a folder of your choice (typically one on the desktop). Open the files with the former mentioned apps and send the waypoints to your unit. In the beginning of Geocaching all users had to do it that way. (Yes, there were times prior to the "Send" button). It's still not rocket science.

Hans

21 minutes ago, HHL said:

Those old Garmin units communicate with the Garmin Serial Protocol only. Apps like MapSource or GpsBabel are able to send waypoints and geocaches to those kind of units.

Having said that: Download the GPX files to a folder of your choice (typically one on the desktop). Open the files with the former mentioned apps and send the waypoints to your unit. In the beginning of Geocaching all users had to do it that way. (Yes, there were times prior to the "Send" button). It's still not rocket science.

Hans

This is good info.  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, TrekkerPooch said:

This is good info.  Thanks!

You may want to check the new map page, "send to Garmin" is on the left side towards the top. I don't use that method so I can't say if it works or not.

Edit to add: you have to click a map icon first.

Edited by 31BMSG
Addition

Following on ...

Create an alias of MapSource.exe and put it on your desktop as well (you'll probably be asked to put it there). Drag the Gpx folder with the downloaded gpx files onto the MapSource alias and all gpx files will be opened by MapSource,

b28a26b66064fd12b03b5fc79895c439.png

Hans

1 hour ago, 31BMSG said:

You may want to check the new map page, "send to Garmin" is on the left side towards the top. I don't use that method so I can't say if it works or not.

Nah. The "Send to Garmin" only works with GPS units that connect to the PC via USB mass storage. That eliminates its use with the older GPS that connect via Garmin's serial port. 

Mapsource has been discontinued for a while and may be hard to find if you don't already have it installed and have lost the CD that came with your GPS (do your computers still have CD drives? LOL) However if one doesn't want to use GPSBabel directly, programs such as GSAK and iCaching (for those Mac users still using ancient GPS devices) do utilize GPSBabel to export files and should be viable alternatives for managing caches.

But yes, thinking ahead long term, I do think it is time to consider retiring the old Serial devices in favor of one with a pure USB connection, mass storage mode, and paperless caching. For those intermittent geocachers, your smartphone more than capable to use either as an interim device or to replace that old GPS altogether.

Edited by Mineral2

You are looking at the left sidebar on the new map? If this is just the old button that was included in this new this release is off to a bad start.

Edit: Disregard all above, the new map is only seen by select members, crash test dummies? When you click a map icon a sidebar opens on the left and send to Garmin is listed. I tried the link and it tries to pull up Garmin Express but I don't have it installed.

Update: I installed Garmin Express and it works fine with the GPS set to serial, now everyone upset a week ago will be upset again when they have to change their settings back to serial. :ph34r:

Edited by 31BMSG
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:02 AM, Bean & Sprout said:

I totally agree with you.  Our Garmin 60Csx works perfectly fine, but is not supported by the new "Send to GPX."  I am so angry.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, 31BMSG said:

Edit to add: you have to click a map icon first.

It doesn't work like the old "Send to Garmin" worked.  It only works if Garmin Express works on your gps.  In our case, it doesn't.

1 hour ago, StefandD said:

Oldstyle GPS receivers - like 60, Legend and Vista - can use free programs like MapSource, BaseCamp, EasyGPS.

Thank you StefandD for the reminder of these programs. My GPS is not yet old style but will be soon. Your post arrived at coffee time so I had a quick look at your suggestions. One in particular will give me most of the information I like in a very suitable format. 

Back on the topic of the new search...

This is minor annoyance... when I use the search filter "Hidden by", the map stays centered on my location. I have to zoom out to see the caches. It would be nice if the map would recenter on the caches. This is particularly annoying when I'm making a bookmark list for another state and I have too zoom way out and then back in on the right area.

EDIT: MY bad.... wrong post. Sorry.

Edited by igator210
1 hour ago, igator210 said:

This is minor annoyance... when I use the search filter "Hidden by", the map stays centered on my location. I have to zoom out to see the caches. It would be nice if the map would recenter on the caches. This is particularly annoying when I'm making a bookmark list for another state and I have too zoom way out and then back in on the right area.

Ick. Maybe if there was a toggle. SInce what you're asking is effective a re-zoom on the general filter change, that would be VERY annoying in every other instances, especially if the results are world-wide.   But if you want it to, then it could be a toggle.

Or, generally the best option would be to have the map icon which zooms out to the extent of search results. Best would be having these zoom icons:

1. Home location

2. Region (just an idea)

3. Search extent

On desktop I think 1 and 2 are good as close-up (home neighbourhood) and wide (region). On mobile they're typically

1. My location

2. Target waypoint

3. My location and Target

4. Search extent

And zooming to show the entire search results is usually served as an optional toggle for when completing a search. I turn it off, especially if there's a button to do that zoom.

Ik ben ook niet blij met het verdwijnen van de knop send to my GPS. Ik heb nu GPX bestanden gedownload maar die worden niet zichtbaar in mijn GPS .(dakota 20 )  Als ik zoek onder geocaches zie ik ze nergens, maar wanneer ik mijn GPS aansluit op mijn laptop dan kom ik ze wel tegen. Ze zitten dus wel in de GPS maar kan ze niet zichtbaar maken. Hoe moet ik dit probleem oplossen? 

1 minute ago, jelskerdai said:

Ik ben ook niet blij met het verdwijnen van de knop send to my GPS. Ik heb nu GPX bestanden gedownload maar die worden niet zichtbaar in mijn GPS .(dakota 20 )  Als ik zoek onder geocaches zie ik ze nergens, maar wanneer ik mijn GPS aansluit op mijn laptop dan kom ik ze wel tegen. Ze zitten dus wel in de GPS maar kan ze niet zichtbaar maken. Hoe moet ik dit probleem oplossen? 

Hä?

2 hours ago, jelskerdai said:

Just to check, but are you saving them to the GPX folder on your Dakota? (translation provided by Google: Gewoon om te controleren, maar bewaar je ze in de GPX-map op je Dakota?)

Thought everything was working. I go to the cache, I hit "Add to List" I get the caches I want. I go to my list page. My list is named Illinois. It says I have 65 caches in my list. I make sure I have Garmin Express open. I go to the right hand side, open up the circle with 3 dots in it and hit "Send to Garmin"..  In my GPX file on my gps it shows up as Illinois - BM5RCJ5.GPX instead of a GC.gpx file. It is only one cache and it is all writing. What is wrong? Why won't my caches show up in the GPS. If I hit map list as an option in the circle with 3 dots it shows them on the map.

6 hours ago, olytreeman said:

Thought everything was working. I go to the cache, I hit "Add to List" I get the caches I want. I go to my list page. My list is named Illinois. It says I have 65 caches in my list. I make sure I have Garmin Express open. I go to the right hand side, open up the circle with 3 dots in it and hit "Send to Garmin"..  In my GPX file on my gps it shows up as Illinois - BM5RCJ5.GPX instead of a GC.gpx file. It is only one cache and it is all writing. What is wrong? Why won't my caches show up in the GPS. If I hit map list as an option in the circle with 3 dots it shows them on the map.

The GPX file it gives you is correct. It's writing a file with the name of the bookmark list, and the bookmark lists's GC code (or BM code for bookmark).

The GPX file should contain information for all of the geocaches in that list. You can even check this by opening up the GPX file in a plain text editor and you should see multiple geocache listings within the file. If it is not writing all of the geocaches, make sure your Garmin Express is up to date.

6 minutes ago, jean1955 said:

I think I'm missing something. Where has it been discussed for at least 2 years that this change was going to be made? Is there something on the website that I should be reading?

It's wasn't discussed that the "Send to GPS" button would disappear but anyone reading these forums must have been aware that it was increasingly  difficult to get the plugin to work. If fact, the button was kept for way too long as the forum was almost flooded with "communicator not working" threads. At least now there's no more wining about that ;)

At least there seems to be less drama about the button that's gone than there was about the plugin no longer working over the years.

Edited by on4bam
  • Helpful 1

My heart goes out to all the seniors who are unable to load geocaches in to their GPS. I too have not figured how it works for my Garmin eTrex20 since the changes.  I’ll keep trying but for now I load them manually just so we can keep geocaching.  

It would be a shame for older folks to have to give up their favourite sport because it really is a great way to combine exercise, fresh air and a hobby! 

Thanks to those who have tried their best to explain the new process.