Release Notes (Website: Downloading caches to GPS devices) - August 28, 2018

Not from the website but loading caches on my (not old but type is transparent anyway) GPS goes like this:

Caches are already in GSAK (PQs downloaded via API).

GSAK is running:

Hit F8 (filters on selected caches that have "userflag set")

Click macro, click Garminexport macro, click OK wait a moment for OK pop-up, unplug > go caching.

So I hit one key and do 3 clicks. ;)

8 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Not from the website but loading caches on my (not old but type is transparent anyway) GPS goes like this:

Caches are already in GSAK (PQs downloaded via API).

GSAK is running:

Hit F8 (filters on selected caches that have "userflag set")

Click macro, click Garminexport macro, click OK wait a moment for OK pop-up, unplug > go caching.

So I hit one key and do 3 clicks. ;)

How much "Learning GSAK" is required before that one key and 3 clicks?  I've tried to figure out GSAK off and on for years, and I can't figure it out.  And I can generally figure out computer stuff.  So when I see posts about the 80-year-old people set in their ways, I can't imagine them switching to GSAK as a simplification plan.  But if they do, I must also, because I can't be shown up by a bunch of 80-year-old whippersnappers.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, kunarion said:

How much "Learning GSAK" is required before that one key and 3 clicks?  I've tried to figure out GSAK off and on for years, and I can't figure it out.  And I can generally figure out computer stuff.  So when I see posts about the 80-year-old people set in their ways, I can't imagine them switching to GSAK as a simplification plan.  But if they do, I must also, because I can't be shown up by a bunch of 80-year-old whippersnappers.

Since the question was bout "how many clicks" and not about "how many clicks for an 80 year old"  I think it's relevant enough for other having the same problem. Everything has a learning curve, some steeper than others but it does work.

Humans have adapted to all kinds of change and I bet in the stone age there were people who thought they would never need that new thing, fire that is,... or why use that round thing, I'll keep on carrying things like I've always done, who needs a wheel anyway ^_^

Thing is, stuff changes and the plugin saga has been going on long enough, time to leave it behind and in the mean time get people to realize that those DOS 1.0 XT machines are getting obsolete :ph34r:

We have removed the ‘Send to GPS’ option from the Geocaching map and the ‘Send to My GPS’ button from cache pages. This functionality has become increasingly unreliable in recent years because modern web browsers do not allow the operating system access required for the plugin to function correctly. This results in a poor experience for users whose browser plugins suddenly stop working, as well as for new users who expect the options to work correct

Thats brilliant, i've just spent 6 hours trying to load caches onto my garmin,  Thats me done with this site now.   Load of rubbish!!!!

3 minutes ago, mark913 said:

Thats brilliant, i've just spent 6 hours trying to load caches onto my garmin,  Thats me done with this site now.   Load of rubbish!!!!

You could ask help on these forums but you'll have to disclose your OS and GPS type ;) It's working for millions of people, I would be surprised if it couldn't be made to work for you. First stop: a forum search ...

53 minutes ago, kunarion said:

So with a browser procedure, you're saving the GPX file somewhere, then using other software to load the cache into the old GPS? 

No, I'm downloading directly from Geocaching.com to  the Garmin.  Download on Geocaching.com, save it directly to the plugged in Garmin, which the computer sees as a drive.

It takes two clicks, but the file is NOT saved on my computer.  No "other software" involved, just the browser.

This should work for any gps that has a usb port, and takes a gpx file - all Garmin brand, as far as I know.

(I owned a Magellan gps that would not take a gpx -  you had munge .gpx to some special form - I used Robert Lipe's GPS Babel for that, or GSAK)

4 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

This should work for any gps that has a usb port, and takes a gpx file - all Garmin brand, as far as I know.

Except the old ones. My GPS12XL (bought in 1999) doesn't as far as I know (it's gathering dust in a box somewhere).

36 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

No, I'm downloading directly from Geocaching.com to  the Garmin.  Download on Geocaching.com, save it directly to the plugged in Garmin, which the computer sees as a drive.

It takes two clicks, but the file is NOT saved on my computer.  No "other software" involved, just the browser.

(I owned a Magellan gps that would not take a gpx -  you had munge .gpx to some special form - I used Robert Lipe's GPS Babel for that, or GSAK)

Many of us have been saving GPX files without plugins for years.  "Send To GPS" was too much of a hassle to maintain, it was simpler to not use it.

The main issue in this thread is The Button was one click for pretty much any old GPS.  Such as an old GPS.  The computer is old, the GPS is old, the Geocachers are old.  It's more than just learning how to save a file, they will need helper software and follow a set of steps to load it.  I'm guessing the new software can run on the old PC in this case.  But it's a whole new ballgame regardless.  In the case of an old GPS it's "just two clicks to save the file", followed by "a whole bunch more clicks". :)

Edited by kunarion

"Going forward, GPSr users can put geocaches on their devices by clicking ‘Download GPX’ on the Geocaching map, or by clicking the ‘GPX file’ button on the cache page. Then, transfer the downloaded file to a GPS device." 

I have tried this and the suggestions on this forum, but NONE are working for me! I never had any problems downloading caches before and cannot see why it had to be changed. It is a shame that the "Download to GPS" option could not be left alongside "Download to GPX" as it obviously doesn't work for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Redrich382 said:

"Going forward, GPSr users can put geocaches on their devices by clicking ‘Download GPX’ on the Geocaching map, or by clicking the ‘GPX file’ button on the cache page. Then, transfer the downloaded file to a GPS device." 

I have tried this and the suggestions on this forum, but NONE are working for me! I never had any problems downloading caches before and cannot see why it had to be changed. It is a shame that the "Download to GPS" option could not be left alongside "Download to GPX" as it obviously doesn't work for everyone. 

For a newer Garmin GPS, place the GPX file into the Garmin/GPX folder of the GPS.  If you tried GSAK or other helper software (suggestions on this forum) and are serious that nothing works, more specifics on your device are needed.  It's unusual when "Send To GPS" worked that nothing else will.

4 hours ago, Redrich382 said:

It might help if you'd get us some more details like the GPS model and the browser (version) you're using ;)

I just think it would have been really nice to give us a little warning....like tell us in a month the "load to GPS" feature will be going away.  My husband (who has a master's degree) and I (bachelor's degree) have been trying to load caches for about three hours so we could out tomorrow.  Haven't figured it out yet.  And it really makes me really, really angry.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, The A-Team said:

Those of us familiar with the issue won't deny that the feature had to go at some point. It's just my opinion that it didn't need to be an unannounced, cold-turkey, "live with it" situation. Would it really have been such a bad thing to give everyone a heads-up? I don't mean a passive heads-up like discussions in the forum where someone has to seek out the information, but rather an active heads-up where members are directly notified by email and/or a warning on the feature.

I have read all the posts in this forum.  I have a Garmin 60CSx.  Can somebody please explain to me in real simple terms how to get the caches to my Garmin.  I figured out how to save the cache to the "download" folder in my computer.  But don't know what to do from there.  When the gps is plugged into the computer, it shows up as an accessory like a printer.  HELP?  Please.  Can somebody tell me in simple terms?  Thanks in advance.

Well I was hopeful that a suggestion by niraD to use the Lists feature might be the answer but sadly no.  From a List you can "Send to Garmin" or "Save .LOC" file.  There is no option to save to .gpx.

When I tried using the circle with 3 dots context menu next to a List entry in the List Management page one of the options is "Send To Garmin".  This requires installation of the Garmin Express app for Windows but when I installed that, Garmin Express said it did not support the older Mapsource 60 series GPSs, I had to install Web Updater.  Web updater does not manage waypoints or any aspect of the GPS other than firmware updates.

I also tried the "Download to .LOC" in the individual lists details page in hopes I could use EasyGPS to send them to the GPS but clicking on the button does not produce a file.  It tries to do something but seems to fail.  I think the feature is not working now.

We are heading out camping for a week with no internet access so Will try to catch up and see if there are any answers then.

I'll throw this out as a quick fix for older GPS owners, utilizing GPSBabel as the interface program.

Create a batch file on your desk top containing the following command:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\GPSBabel\gpsbabel.exe" -i gpx -f "%1" -o garmin -F usb:

(assuming that is where you have GPSBabel installed)

Then you can drag/drop a gpx file onto the batch file and it will be sent to your USB attached Garmin device.

Tested on a 60Cx. YMMV

• Upvote 4
7 hours ago, steben6 said:

And where did the bookmark lists go???  Several of our puzzle caches rely on info in the bookmark lists!  Now I'm even angrier!

6 hours ago, steben6 said:

I don't see them on the cache pages.  I only see them if I go to my "lists."

I see them on your listings.

0x675.png?ofn=bookmark.JPG&referrer=user

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Go Play Outside said:

Well I was hopeful that a suggestion by niraD to use the Lists feature might be the answer but sadly no.  From a List you can "Send to Garmin" or "Save .LOC" file.  There is no option to save to .gpx.

I always transfer lists by creating a Pocket Query from the list, running the Pocket Query, downloading the Pocket Query to my laptop, and then transferring the GPX file from the Pocket Query to my device.

5 hours ago, JimJinks said:

I'll throw this out as a quick fix for older GPS owners, utilizing GPSBabel as the interface program.

Then you can drag/drop a gpx file onto the batch file and it will be sent to your USB attached Garmin device.

Tested on a 60Cx. YMMV

This may be the perfect answer for someone supporting a senior with dementia.  Set it up once, then drag/drop, done.

@Go Play Outside, are you listening?  (Your plight touched me; I've seen what it's like to be unable to learn anything new, even the simplest of things...)

10 hours ago, steben6 said:

I just think it would have been really nice to give us a little warning....like tell us in a month the "load to GPS" feature will be going away.  My husband (who has a master's degree) and I (bachelor's degree) have been trying to load caches for about three hours so we could out tomorrow.  Haven't figured it out yet.  And it really makes me really, really angry.

While you're learning something new,  you can enter caches manually into your 60csx.  Just need a notepad for anything else that might be useful (hints, trackables, a certain log...).    :)    Takes around two minutes each.

I've loaded caches manually (blue legend, then a 60cxs) since starting.

I don't understand what a "degree" has to do with anything in this hobby.   Please explain.

You've been in the forums long enough to know that if there was a "month's notice", the forums would be just as busy with people either begging the site to keep it going, or threatening  geocide.  Same as now. 

• Helpful 1
11 hours ago, steben6 said:

All of us around here are simply trying to keep up.  Anger is misdirected.  Here's the contact page for Geocaching.com:  https://www.geocaching.com/help/

They deserve the earful. :)

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, JimJinks said:

Tested on a 60Cx. YMMV

I like this idea a lot!  Can you start a new thread to flesh out all the details, pros and cons, especially the "gotchas" that affect models with limited file space?

I have to go look up how to even "make a batch file".  Haven't done that in a while.  Most people never have.

12 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I have to go look up how to even "make a batch file".  Haven't done that in a while.  Most people never have.

Open notepad

Copy/paste c:\Program Files (x86)\GPSBabel\gpsbabel.exe" -i gpx -f "%1" -o garmin -F usb:

Save as >> name.bat to your desktop.

Done (don't forget to install GPSBabel and/or change the path if you install in another location)

55 minutes ago, HHL said:

The old search pages still have the send2gps button. :-)

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=53.602167&lng=10.043667

be625f100716a096cb4042372383182a.pnge9c5730df978068503ab0953b40049b8.png

For the same security reasons as we removed the more prominent Send to GPS links, those links are already slated to be removed next week. Not trying to be a party-pooper here, just trying to let people know before getting excited about those pages.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Ben H said:

For the same security reasons as we removed the more prominent Send to GPS links, those links are already slated to be removed next week. Not trying to be a party-pooper here, just trying to let people know before getting excited about those pages.

It's just for cachers surprised by the change who wanted to go caching this afternoon.  They now have at least a little time to look at alternatives. :)

Is that whole old Seek page going away at that time?  That one works much better on my phone than the new search (the one... *ahem*... designed for a phone).

Edited by kunarion
12 hours ago, steben6 said:

I have read all the posts in this forum.  I have a Garmin 60CSx.  Can somebody please explain to me in real simple terms how to get the caches to my Garmin.  I figured out how to save the cache to the "download" folder in my computer.  But don't know what to do from there.  When the gps is plugged into the computer, it shows up as an accessory like a printer.  HELP?  Please.  Can somebody tell me in simple terms?  Thanks in advance.

You have a temporary reprieve.  For a few days after I type this post, this may work, at one of the last places where the old Send To GPS button still exists.

Now you have a little time to try some alternatives.

Here's the thread that details how to use GPSBabel.  Set it up as described, and you could send a cache to your GPS by dragging that GPX file out of Downloads and dropping it onto an icon on the PC desktop.  I wonder if it could be streamlined even more...

Edited by kunarion
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, Geocaching HQ said:

Release Notes (Website: Downloading caches to GPS devices) - August 28, 2018

With today’s website release, we have made updates to how geocaches can be downloaded to GPS devices.

We have removed the ‘Send to GPS’ option from the Geocaching map and the ‘Send to My GPS’ button from cache pages. This functionality has become increasingly unreliable in recent years because modern web browsers do not allow the operating system access required for the plugin to function correctly. This results in a poor experience for users whose browser plugins suddenly stop working, as well as for new users who expect the options to work correctly.

We have also removed the ‘LOC waypoint file’ button from cache pages due to lack of usage, and also because GPX files contain more information and are more widely supported.

Going forward, GPSr users can put geocaches on their devices by clicking ‘Download GPX’ on the Geocaching map, or by clicking the ‘GPX file’ button on the cache page. Then, transfer the downloaded file to a GPS device. 

DownloadGPX.jpg

CacheDetails.jpg

Premium users can also send geocaching Lists to their supported Garmin GPSr with Garmin Express.

Ben (Ben H) from HQ’s Product Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Unrelated comments may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

Garmin Express does not work on older gps' (for example, the gps 60CSx).  Do you have other suggestions for how to get the caches into the gsp?

25 minutes ago, steben6 said:

Garmin Express does not work on older gps' (for example, the gps 60CSx).  Do you have other suggestions for how to get the caches into the gsp?

HHL posted a cool idea previously about the Old Search "Seek" pages, and here it is on its own post.  This will cease to function in a matter of days.  Enjoy it while it lasts:

For a few days after I type this post, this may work, at one of the last places where the old Send To GPS button still exists.

Now you have a little time to try some alternatives.

Going forward, there are several ways to load an "old" GPS, and in many cases, you just have to try things and see what you like and what works.

Here's the thread that details how to use GPSBabel.  Set it up as described, and you could send a cache to your GPS by dragging that GPX file out of Downloads and dropping it onto an icon on the PC desktop.  I wonder if it could be streamlined even more...

9 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I wonder if it could be streamlined even more...

Probably.  I did a quick google for "file associations windows xp" and though I didn't dig further, it looks like it'll work.  (I no longer consider myself an expert on Windows; tech knowledge has a short half-life.)

I suspect it'll be possible to simply try to "open" the file, and it'd go straight to the batch file (--> GPSBabel --> Old Garmin) described in the other thread.

Just now, Viajero Perdido said:

Probably.  I did a quick google for "file associations windows xp" and though I didn't dig further, it looks like it'll work.  (I no longer consider myself an expert on Windows; tech knowledge has a short half-life.)

I suspect it'll be possible to simply try to "open" the file, and it'd go straight to the batch file (--> GPSBabel --> Old Garmin) described in the other thread.

So do a special file association for "GPX", for example! Now I'm aching to try it.  I'll have a lotta time soon, I hope. :P

Ok, another old'un here. I've been using the old 'send to garmin' button and I'm sad to see it go. But we've got to move on I suppose so I've been trying out the gpx function to the best of my (limited) capabilities.

It's all a bit of a haze to me at the moment but I'll get there eventually. Anyway can you clarify a couple of points, or put me right if I'm doing it wrong?

I get to a cache I want to d/l and left click on the gpx button. This then goes to my desktop as all my d/l's do. I can then right click on that file and choose 'send to' and choose my gps (garmin oregon 700) and there it is. Or when it is on my desktop I can drag it to my gps and there it is, among all my previously d/l caches. Now I was going to ask if that is correct but it can't be because when I unplug the gps the cache is nowhere to be seen! I'm using opera as my browser if that's important.

So, in easy to understand language, what have I missed or done wrong?

As an aside, when the cache has d/l it is always the gc number and not the title. Is that the norm? 

40 minutes ago, peem said:

Ok, another old'un here. I've been using the old 'send to garmin' button and I'm sad to see it go. But we've got to move on I suppose so I've been trying out the gpx function to the best of my (limited) capabilities.

It's all a bit of a haze to me at the moment but I'll get there eventually. Anyway can you clarify a couple of points, or put me right if I'm doing it wrong?

I get to a cache I want to d/l and left click on the gpx button. This then goes to my desktop as all my d/l's do. I can then right click on that file and choose 'send to' and choose my gps (garmin oregon 700) and there it is. Or when it is on my desktop I can drag it to my gps and there it is, among all my previously d/l caches. Now I was going to ask if that is correct but it can't be because when I unplug the gps the cache is nowhere to be seen! I'm using opera as my browser if that's important.

As an aside, when the cache has d/l it is always the gc number and not the title. Is that the norm? 

Be sure to place the GPX files into the folder "Garmin/GPX". 

If the cache is more than 60 miles from where the GPS thinks it is (for example, if it hasn't pinpointed its own location yet), the cache will not automatically be listed.  It is possible to set a GPS to show caches as GC Codes rather than names.  Garmin Oregons are very configurable and use collections of settings called "Profiles".  Start with the Geocaching Profile, then modify it as you like.  You can copy and re-name Profiles.  I have a Geocaching Profile, and a CachingCar Profile each based on the same thing but with settings specifically for each purpose.  Back up everything first (save as much of the GPS folder structure with the files as you can to a PC hard drive somewhere) in case you want unmessed files back if something gets messed up. 

A Garmin Oregon 700 can acquire paperless cache info over wifi, without any PC needed.

Edited by kunarion
37 minutes ago, peem said:

The downloaded gpx will be named with the cache code, once it's on the GPS it will be named according to your GPS settings either, code or title.

Ok, thanks both.

It was the Garmin/GPX file I was d/l it to but your 60 mile suggestion was correct. I really should have remembered that! I have though just found out that I could put  the Garmin/GPX file on my desktop too. We live and learn even at my age.

The GPS was set to names but of course because of the distance I couldn't see that, only the number before I sent it to the GPS.

Thanks again

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, peem said:

Ok, thanks both.

It was the Garmin/GPX file I was d/l it to but your 60 mile suggestion was correct. I really should have remembered that! I have though just found out that I could put  the Garmin/GPX file on my desktop too. We live and learn even at my age.

The GPS was set to names but of course because of the distance I couldn't see that, only the number before I sent it to the GPS.

Thanks again

Glad that worked!  :P

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, kunarion said:

Many of us have been saving GPX files without plugins for years.  "Send To GPS" was too much of a hassle to maintain, it was simpler to not use it.

The main issue in this thread is The Button was one click for pretty much any old GPS.  Such as an old GPS.  The computer is old, the GPS is old, the Geocachers are old.  It's more than just learning how to save a file, they will need helper software and follow a set of steps to load it.  I'm guessing the new software can run on the old PC in this case.  But it's a whole new ballgame regardless.  In the case of an old GPS it's "just two clicks to save the file", followed by "a whole bunch more clicks". :)

Yeah, we are old, our gps is old and our computer is old.  And it works just find for geocaching until today.  We did figure out how to get the caches to the computer (via a method that will not last long) but cannot figure out how to get the caches from the computer to the gps.  We've been working on this for eight hours now.

7 minutes ago, steben6 said:

Yeah, we are old, our gps is old and our computer is old.  And it works just find for geocaching until today.  We did figure out how to get the caches to the computer (via a method that will not last long) but cannot figure out how to get the caches from the computer to the gps.  We've been working on this for eight hours now.

Did you look at the Send To GPS button previously mentioned?  It's the same feature as the one that is gone from cache pages.  it sends the cache info from a the site to the GPS itself as always. It's on the last remaining place on the web site:

Edited by kunarion
5 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Did you look at the Send To GPS button previously mentioned?  It's the same feature as the one that is gone from cache pages.  it sends the cache info from a the site to the GPS itself as always. It's on the last remaining place on the web site:

Where do I find that Send to GPS Button??

16 minutes ago, steben6 said:

Where do I find that Send to GPS Button??

It's in the linked thread, where the button is found at the tip of the big red arrow on that other thread. Click the title Below to go to that thread.  It shows how to find the list where the Send To GPS buttons are.  They are to the right of each cache, and look like a little GPS icon.

Edited by kunarion

Up to a week ago I was happily downloading caches to my garmin etrex but since the send to GPS button has gone and left only with a GPX button I am no longer able to do this. I have read many of the posts here and they make it sound easy. Just attach your device as normal and click the GPX button. Well it does open up a map but it doesn't download to my Garmin. I know a lot of my friends who are having the same problem and I basically stopping us geocaching.

So we either need a clear set of instructions on how t fix this or why not just reinstate the GPS button alongside the GPX button then at least everyone has a choice of what works for them.

All very frustrating.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Blanchy said:

Up to a week ago I was happily downloading caches to my garmin etrex but since the send to GPS button has gone and left only with a GPX button I am no longer able to do this. I have read many of the posts here and they make it sound easy. Just attach your device as normal and click the GPX button. Well it does open up a map but it doesn't download to my Garmin. I know a lot of my friends who are having the same problem and I basically stopping us geocaching.

So we either need a clear set of instructions on how t fix this or why not just reinstate the GPS button alongside the GPX button then at least everyone has a choice of what works for them.

All very frustrating.

It is possible to set up your computer so that GPX files are intercepted by other software.  It could be complicated, but that all depends on what you installed on your computer.  You could in fact set up what's called a "File Association" to your benefit instead, where you have a pretty easy way to load the device without The Button.  That's what the various threads here are working to explain.

The new way to load GPX files directly from the site is a feature called "Send To Garmin".  That only works for modern Garmins that accept "GPX" files.  I don't need to detail why the button is not on the page, because the OP said why.  Remember that even the Garmin company does not support old Garmins.  As you know The [Put Any Company Here] does not support the Old Anything.  Yet they retain their trade secrets that would be useful right about now.  You may continue to use it just fine, but then you must adapt.  Fortunately, there's helper software that can load even the most obscure GPS.  Or you may choose to type the coordinates and go.

Edited by kunarion
Gotham City needs me.
  • Upvote 1