Release Notes (Website: Downloading caches to GPS devices) - August 28, 2018

Release Notes (Website: Downloading caches to GPS devices) - August 28, 2018

With today’s website release, we have made updates to how geocaches can be downloaded to GPS devices.

We have removed the ‘Send to GPS’ option from the Geocaching map and the ‘Send to My GPS’ button from cache pages. This functionality has become increasingly unreliable in recent years because modern web browsers do not allow the operating system access required for the plugin to function correctly. This results in a poor experience for users whose browser plugins suddenly stop working, as well as for new users who expect the options to work correctly.

We have also removed the ‘LOC waypoint file’ button from cache pages due to lack of usage, and also because GPX files contain more information and are more widely supported.

Going forward, GPSr users can put geocaches on their devices by clicking ‘Download GPX’ on the Geocaching map, or by clicking the ‘GPX file’ button on the cache page. Then, transfer the downloaded file to a GPS device. 

DownloadGPX.jpg

CacheDetails.jpg

Premium users can also send geocaching Lists to their supported Garmin GPSr with Garmin Express.

Update (9/5/2018): the initial release did not include a few related updates. Effective today, we have:

• Removed the Send to GPS functionality from the 'Your Recently Viewed Caches' page.
• Removed the Send to GPS functionality from old search results (e.g. https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=47.778633&lng=-122.289967)
• Removed the actual 'Send to GPS' page
• Removed the Download .LOC button at the bottom of bookmark list pages

Ben (Ben H) from HQ’s Product Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Unrelated comments may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

Edited by Geocaching HQ
Additional updates on 9/5/2018
  • Helpful 3

Has the legacy Bookmark List page now been completely removed? Within a few minutes of working on my bookmark lists, the page has now switched to the new layout with no 'opt out' link. The old URL now forces the new page. There's no thread for a website update listing this as a change.

Good update though to be clear about download GPX files.

Historically, the GPX file that Basic members got had much less data in it than the one that Premium members got. This seemed to change a few months ago when the plugin issues escalated and then Basic members were getting the full GPX file. Do all members get the same GPX file containing all data now?

BTW, thank you for finally doing away with "Send to My GPS". There'll inevitably be a bunch of new questions from people wondering where it went and how to manually save the GPX files to the right spot, but at least we won't get any more of the repetitive "my plugin doesn't work anymore" posts.

1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

Historically, the GPX file that Basic members got had much less data in it than the one that Premium members got. This seemed to change a few months ago when the plugin issues escalated and then Basic members were getting the full GPX file. Do all members get the same GPX file containing all data now?

Yes, for single cache GPX downloads the file has been the same for all members since last summer.

• Upvote 1

The removal of the "Send to my GPS" feature from the cache pages is very disappointing. I had purposely not updated my explorer browser so I could keep using this feature after it stopped working on Firefox. It now just got much more difficult for me to load caches along unplanned routes, to update previously loaded caches and to quickly load caches for FTF runs. Not entirely sure why it needed to be removed, why not leave it on the page for the few of us who relied on it.

Edited by Chris Baker
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 4
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Chris Baker said:

The removal of the "Send to my GPS" feature from the cache pages is very disappointing. I had purposely not updated my explorer browser so I could keep using this feature after it stopped working on Firefox. It now just got much more difficult for me to load caches along unplanned routes, to update previously loaded caches and to quickly load caches for FTF runs. Not entirely sure why it needed to be removed, why not leave it on the page for the few of us who relied on it.

How is it "much more difficult"?

With the GPX File button, you just attach your GPSr to your computer (which was also necessary with Send to GPS) and click a button on the webpage (which was also necessary with Send to GPS). The only difference is that now, instead of waiting for the plug-in to get started, you tell the computer to save the file to the Garmin/GPX folder of your GPSr.

Have you tried the new method yet? Maybe try it a few times before deciding if it's worse or not.

Removing the Send to GPS option is an overall benefit for the many cachers that have not continued using outdated browser versions. There have been 1+ posts in the forums every week from cachers, old and new, confused about the button not working anymore. This saves them that frustration.

Edited by noncentric
typos from using phone keyboard
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2

The removal of the Send to GPS options is wonderful. Thank you!

I am concerned about the lack of mentioning PQ's as a way of downloading caches though, in both the OP and revised Help Center article. They aren't going away, are they?  If that ever happens, then I hope users will be given plenty of time to prepare - especially since plenty of us have preset PQ's that we run on the regular.

• Helpful 1
15 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

We have removed the ‘Send to GPS’ option from the Geocaching map and the ‘Send to My GPS’ button from cache pages.

Thanx.

Let's hope the number of "Where is the "Send to my GPS" button" threads will not outnumber the "Sent to GPS is not working" threads :unsure:

• Helpful 1

I have done the work around when the plug in stopped working on most browsers and found it to be (while not a huge burden) not as convenient. If all the browsers still were compatible with Garmin's plug in, EVERYONE would still be using the feature. While I will have to get used to adding extra steps to loading my gps, it is definitely not an improvement. I don't understand how something that was still useful for some can be applauded for its removal by those who didn't use it anymore and had absolutely no effect on their caching experience.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Chris Baker said:

I don't understand how something that was still useful for some can be applauded for its removal by those who didn't use it anymore and had absolutely no effect on their caching experience.

I think it has more to do with explaining the same thing (twice a week or better...) to those who've left a while, came back, and find that "send to gps" doesn't work anymore for most.   A simple search on most forum sections would have a couple on it.  Just became sorta frustrating, and many didn't even respond anymore when folks asked.   The plug-in issue's been that way for some time...

I don't think approval's meant as a mean thing.

- But as one who had Windows phone, the OS that was the template for the current app fee rate , paying $30. a year instead of $10. and done,  to only have it canned when everyone went to that set-up, I can see where you're coming from.   :)

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Chris Baker said:

I have done the work around when the plug in stopped working on most browsers and found it to be (while not a huge burden) not as convenient. If all the browsers still were compatible with Garmin's plug in, EVERYONE would still be using the feature. While I will have to get used to adding extra steps to loading my gps, it is definitely not an improvement. I don't understand how something that was still useful for some can be applauded for its removal by those who didn't use it anymore and had absolutely no effect on their caching experience.

There are thousands of posts in the Forum by people who demanded repairs to the “Send To GPS” button as it began to fail for everybody. There are multiple issues, but the main ones are that web browsers dropped support for unsecure protocols, which also means a lot of extra research to weigh the risks of continuing to use the protocols. Most Geocachers simply wanted to Geocache, and didn't understand (nor care to learn) the security risks. Playing with fire. Unwise. Just don't do it.

Click the “GPX File”, click “Save As...”, save the file into the GPS. You must delete old individual GPX files anyway, which the old plugin (for the most part) did not do. It's maybe an extra click or two, but it sure beats the massive number of extra steps to keep “Send To GPS” functional. At which point there's that playing with fire thing again.

Sure, in the case of very-old-GPS, the plugin was handy since you can't load a GPX file directly. But since you must update the PC anyway, and update the browser and OS, the plugin ceased to work anyway. If you can find the hardware adapters to connect the old GPS, there are several current ways to load it, the simplest being to type the one or two cache coordinates manually.

As for the new site updates, thank you to the developers! For a quick GPX file, click “GPX File” or “Download GPX”, place it onto the PC, then copy whichever file you like to the GPS (if you cannot stand that extra step, place it directly onto the GPS). For paying members to compile a select list, click “Add To List”. These work even in the map pop-up, which is cool!  It creates a way to directly load a cache, much like the old button, but as I've said, better.

If I could make a suggestion:

I'd suggest that the text to download a GPX file be made consistent throughout. The function is “Download GPX” on the map page, yet “GPX File” on the cache page. Make it one or the other.

• Upvote 1

Didn't see this. Have posted some comments in the thread "Waypoint Downloads in GPX" and had some helpful replies. The main issues seem to be with Memory Map, not the GPX files themselves. I did use LOC files - I suppose I'll have to get used to GPX.

20 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

GPSr users can put geocaches on their devices by clicking ‘Download GPX’ on the Geocaching map, or by clicking the ‘GPX file’ button on the cache page. Then, transfer the downloaded file to a GPS device. 

DownloadGPX.jpg

CacheDetails.jpg

These are two different terms and styles of buttons.   Why are identical functions not named the same?  Consider making them both say the same thing.  One or the other. Differing buttons add a layer of complexity when navigating the site.

Edited by kunarion
Gotham City needs me.
2 hours ago, lean-2 said:

I see the Bookmarks page still has "download to LOC" option. Are you going to change this to GPX? Why not keep both, for those of us who still use LOC?

The OP said it was partly due to "lack of usage".  I'm guessing that there was a similar threshold for the old "Send To GPS" button.

I like a selection of options.  I'd approve various buttons for specific purposes. One major problem is that Geocachers love to click buttons, so when a button exists on a cache page, they mess with it.  "Hi, I clicked X, then I clicked Y, then click-click-click WHEEE! …and now my Z is now all screwed up, help!"  Have pity on the poor fools who try to help unscramble that.  Maybe it's best if the crowd is presented with minimal buttons, and others do work-arounds or even buy utilities for the cool things they need, especially when such functions are not frequently used.

Edited by kunarion
I got stuck under my bed.
  • Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, kwiebus said:

Hoe kan ik nu laden rechtstreeks  naar Basecamp

Wie kan mij daar nu mee helpen?

De voertaal op dit forum is Engels ;)

Basecamp kan perfect GPX files openen maar als je de GPX rechtstreeks naar je GPS schrijft doe je eigenlijk hetzelfde wat ook de plugin deed. Als PM kan je ook lists/PQ gebruiken (gebruik de zoekfunctie).

6 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

OLD LISTS !!!!!!!!!!!!! what happened?

3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Any release note update stating that the old bookmark list page has now been completely removed?

I noticed the blue banner was gone from the new lists page a while ago, maybe a couple months, but I had the 'old list page' url in my browser history and was still able to use it through Monday (Seattle time zone).

Now, that url redirects to the 'new' page?  Really?  Is the 'old page' really gone, with no advanced warning or announcement or improvements to the new list page (sticky sort options, description field, other things mentioned in the relevant Release Notes thread)?

Apologies for being OT regarding Send to GPS, but the 'old lists' change seems to be concurrent with this latest website release, and so somewhat on topic.

• Upvote 2

Maybe we were the only people remaining countable on one hand who were still using the "old" bookmark list page.

...nah.

Why force users, once again, to use a page that has removed simple usability features that can/should be implemented first?

(and silently, while rolling out a different update?)

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, fraager said:

I am 82 years old and sometimes mii the obvious. I click on gpx but do not get an option to send to my plugged in gps. it send to downloads and can do nothing with. What am I missing?

In Windows in IE 11, click "GPX File", and a banner appears at the bottom of the window, "Do want to open or save...[GPX file name]?"  Click "Save" to save it in the default folder (Downloads folder, typically).  Click the down arrow on "Save" for more options such as "Save As", at which point you may select the folder, such as "Garmin/GPX" in a connected handheld Garmin GPS, not unlike the old way.

Edited by kunarion
2 hours ago, fraager said:

I am 82 years old and sometimes mii the obvious. I click on gpx but do not get an option to send to my plugged in gps. it send to downloads and can do nothing with. What am I missing?

If you're using Firefox, go into the settings and scroll down a little to the Files and Applications heading. Here you can choose between "Save files to Download" or "Always ask you where to save files". Select the latter to get the "Save As" dialog  when saving, where you can point it directly to your GPSr.

FirefoxDownloadSetting.png.938d9c6b9bf08ded72969dffae6ddc05.png

5 hours ago, noncentric said:

I noticed the blue banner was gone from the new lists page a while ago, maybe a couple months, but I had the 'old list page' url in my browser history and was still able to use it through Monday (Seattle time zone).

Now, that url redirects to the 'new' page?  Really?  Is the 'old page' really gone, with no advanced warning or announcement or improvements to the new list page (sticky sort options, description field, other things mentioned in the relevant Release Notes thread)?

Apologies for being OT regarding Send to GPS, but the 'old lists' change seems to be concurrent with this latest website release, and so somewhat on topic.

The retirement of the old lists page happened a couple days ago and it was a big "miss" by us for not communicating that change out to everyone. I apologize for that. Our analytics showed extremely low usage for the page but I am sure that is no consolation for anyone who still used it. It's not coming back, but we have collected feedback on the old vs. new and have it in mind for future consideration. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, fraager said:

had garmin download garmin express to my computer and then click on gpx and said save and it still goes to download and not to my plugged in gps any help thanks

You should be able to configure that in your browser settings. See my post three up from this for how to do it in Firefox, others should have something similar.

• Upvote 1

I would like to speak up for my parents Oldsters Go Play Outside who like "fraager" above are 80 years old and like "horseshoechamp" above have older GPSs that cannot accept a GPX download file directly.

This change has completely blocked my parent’s ability to geocache as they have for the last 14 years.

They have 4 different Garmin GPSMap 60 series devices that they have accumulated over the years and have found over 10,000 caches, all of which were individually loaded (and in to separate GPSs) using the "Send to GPS" feature of the website.

My parent’s computer literacy is very limited, compounded by my father’s recent and inexorable decent into Alzheimer/dementia.  My parents learned how to use the internet and email in the last 15 years just to Geocache after we introduced them to the sport.  Geocaching is their main source of physical activity and recreation.  
I moved them off of Firefox last year on to their old Internet Explorer to allow them to continue using Sent to GPS when that stopped working.

My parents bought a new GPS a couple of years ago, a GPSmap 62 but the new navigation and menu system completely stymied them and I ended up exchanging my 60CS with them so they could continue using an user interface they were familiar and comfortable with.  Changing to a new GPS compatible with GPX files is not only expensive but in their case not practical.
As for using a desktop program as an intermediate, I have used GSAK for a decade or more and I know that my Mom will not be able to use it or likely any of the other GPX management programs without constant assistance.

When my Mom called this evening to ask for help when the Send To GPS button disappeared I offered to load up all the caches in the city they are travelling to tomorrow using GSAK remotely on their computer but bulk uploads are not practical either.
As I said, they are both 80 and the caches they can do these days are limited. And those limitations are not just defined by the Terrain rating.  
My Mom carefully reads every potential cache including logs, attributes, and D/T ratings to decide if they could or should try to go after it.  Only then does she load it into the 2 or 3 GPSs they usually use.  One for each of them and a spare in case one does not work properly (like I said, the GPSs are old too).  She then prints out the cache page for reference and to make notes on.

Because of this a bulk download of caches in an area would just add a lot of unwanted caches to their GPS and make it confusing and difficult to navigate cache to cache.

They like to go on caching trips out of town and with a limit of 500 waypoint storage, bulk downloads are often not practical way to load the GPS anyway.

The only solution I can think of so far is a scripted or automatic way of passing a downloaded GPX straight to a connected GPS without user intervention but I can’t see a way to do that yet.
Failing that, this change that has been made that is supposed to remove a feature that was getting little use is going to have a huge effect on my parents and I can’t imagine they are alone in this. 

My father has lost the ability to read, he is almost deaf (has been for decades) but can no longer read subtitles on TV and his remaining forms of entertainment and passing the time are getting very limited.  Geocaching is the one thing he wants to do to alleviate the boredom and this may be being taken away from him as well.
I know this may seem like a unique and limited use case but it affects us and I imagine others as well.

I hope there is a solution but I can’t see one yet.
Lee

Edit: update, just talked to my Mom again and she says that she is too old to learn a new GPS or new software.  If I can't find a seamless transparent way to load caches on their GPS then they are done caching, which would be heart-breaking for them

Edited by Go Play Outside
Update after follow up call from Mom.
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, OpinioNate said:

The retirement of the old lists page happened a couple days ago and it was a big "miss" by us for not communicating that change out to everyone. I apologize for that. Our analytics showed extremely low usage for the page but I am sure that is no consolation for anyone who still used it. It's not coming back, but we have collected feedback on the old vs. new and have it in mind for future consideration. 

Okay. Thanks for the confirmation.

It seemed like some change was afoot, as I noticed the 'new' Lists page was different.  It now doesn't show how many caches in each list had been found.  I vaguely recall that when the 'new' LIsts page was first released, there was a "xx found" notation under the count of caches in each list. That was a nice feature.

The removal of the "Send to GPS" and "LOC" buttons made the "Read about waypoint downloads" link that is directly next to "Downloads" more noticeable, to me. I clicked on it and it seems out-of-sync with what the website currently offers.  The linked page mentions:

• .loc  and  .kml  files as waypoint file formats
  • Various software programs that purportedly support GPX files.  Not sure if that list is up-to-date. I was surprised the Garmin Basecamp wasn't listed.
  • Sounds generally out-dated from this line " Some devices support and read Geocaching GPX files directly, like the Magellan Triton and Garmin Colorado.

I'd think it better to remove that "Downloads: Read about waypoint downloads" line and rename the download button to "Download GPX" - so that it matches the labeling that appears in the map pop-up window.

Or even change both the pop-up and cache page to read "Download GPX File".

• Upvote 1

It's not rocket science detecting which browser is calling the cache page and then showing the "Send to my Gps" button accordingly.

IF browser is type of working with the plugin

Show the button

ELSE

Don't show the button

ENDIF

That way everybody would be satisfied.

Hans

Edited by HHL
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HHL said:

It's not rocket science detecting which browser is calling the cache page and then showing the "Send to my Gps" button accordingly.

IF browser is type of working with the plugin

Show the button

ELSE

Don't show the button

ENDIF

That way everybody would be satisfied.

Hans

well it is to someone who has no idea about computers why change a simple way of doing things basically im goosed ive no idea what on earth all this rubbish is about

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, The Whittles said:

well it is to someone who has no idea about computers why change a simple way of doing things basically im goosed ive no idea what on earth all this rubbish is about

HHL's comment is aimed at the Groundspeak developers and is telling them how they could code the web page so that people like you would be able to carry on as normal and wouldn't even notice anything had changed.

• Upvote 1

My personal situation is comparable. After the Relase, I can no longer load data on my 7 year old GPSmax 60CSX. I loaded the WebUpdater, installed Garmin Express, all without success. At the age of 78, I do not have the ability to solve this problem.
Does this mean the end for geocaching after over 5000 successful logs?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, OpinioNate said:

I know this posting from a dinosaur is of no use but I can't help taking the opportunity to state here that I fear the day when the old search result, the old profiles, the old dashboard and all the other web pages which might look old fashioned and which might miss one or another nice feature are gone and only these mobile optimized pages with tons of white space and only a fraction of information per area are left.

• Upvote 6
47 minutes ago, dj8yn said:

My personal situation is comparable. After the Relase, I can no longer load data on my 7 year old GPSmax 60CSX. I loaded the WebUpdater, installed Garmin Express, all without success. At the age of 78, I do not have the ability to solve this problem.
Does this mean the end for geocaching after over 5000 successful logs?

We are in the same boat garmin express wont accept the lists i make .

• Upvote 1

It would have helped me, and probably many other cachers, to have instructions on how to make older Garmin devices fit for the transfer of GPX data.
I will not buy a new device!
After 10 years and 5000 logged geocaches, I say Good Bye Geocaching.com

6 hours ago, The Whittles said:

well it isn't working ive managed to send the caches to a file highlighted them click send to, click montana 680 says files sent to montana 680 no caches on the gps so how on earth is this simple?as opposed to one click downloaded?

One click is easy of course.  But as mentioned for the past three years and in the OP, the plugins that the buttons used are not supported anymore.  You can currently place GPX files into newer Garmins such as a Montana, but that info is beyond what a Release Note is for.

Edited by kunarion
41 minutes ago, kunarion said:

One click is easy of course.  But as mentioned for the past three years and in the OP, the plugins that the buttons used are not supported anymore.  You can currently place GPX files into newer Garmins such as a Montana, but that info is beyond what a Release Note is for.

To add to what kunarion said, it is not Groundspeak that stopped supporting the plugins it is the web browser companies. Some people have found ways to get around this but in doing so have potentially left themselves exposed to hackers. The solution to this has been explained hundreds of times in the last year alone in different sections of this forum but not many seem to listen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
20 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Maybe we were the only people remaining countable on one hand who were still using the "old" bookmark list page.

nope, you were not.. :-/

Our analytics showed extremely low usage for the page..

That's because you/Groundspeak forced everyone to use the new layout again and again. You can make a guess wich layout would have been used most if the old layout was the standard.

• Upvote 3

"Going forward, GPSr users can put geocaches on their devices by clicking ‘Download GPX’ on the Geocaching map, or by clicking the ‘GPX file’ button on the cache page. Then, transfer the downloaded file to a GPS device."

I was planning to go out tomorrow to find over 60 caches. I tried to download them to my Garmin etrex GPS only to find "Download to GPS" has been changed to "Download to GPX". I am probably doing something wrong, but can't now get any caches to download to my device. I click on the Download GPX option and it asks if I want to open or save the file. I have tried both of these options, but none give me the option to transfer the downloaded file to my GPS device that is plugged into the computer. It used to be simple and quick to download caches with the "Download to GPS". Can anyone advise me how to resolve this please? (PS: I do not have a smart phone so cannot continue caching atm!) 

9 minutes ago, 31BMSG said:

The solution to this has been explained hundreds of times in the last year alone in different sections of this forum but not many seem to listen.

Admittedly, I don’t know how much effort (if any) it’s taken the average user to keep their old set up working, but assuming it was indeed working, they’d have had no need to visit the forums.

This doesn’t affect me but I do feel sorry for those that are affected.  I think it would have been much fairer to have left the option in place for a month or two with a big warning that it would be removed at a later date.  This would have given people the chance to understand the reasoning and work out their alternatives.

Edited by IceColdUK
Typo
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Redrich382 said:

"Going forward, GPSr users can put geocaches on their devices by clicking ‘Download GPX’ on the Geocaching map, or by clicking the ‘GPX file’ button on the cache page. Then, transfer the downloaded file to a GPS device."

I was planning to go out tomorrow to find over 60 caches. I tried to download them to my Garmin etrex GPS only to find "Download to GPS" has been changed to "Download to GPX". I am probably doing something wrong, but can't now get any caches to download to my device. I click on the Download GPX option and it asks if I want to open or save the file. I have tried both of these options, but none give me the option to transfer the downloaded file to my GPS device that is plugged into the computer. It used to be simple and quick to download caches with the "Download to GPS". Can anyone advise me how to resolve this please? (PS: I do not have a smart phone so cannot continue caching atm!) 

I don't have a Garmin Etrex, so I can't test it for you.  But I did a web search to see which model may support which functions.  And the very first result shows everything right there on the page, screen shots and everything.  If this is no good, there are thousands of posts in this Forum about how to load a GPS when "Send To GPS" is not an option.  Thousands.  It's not hard to do, and on an old "Etrex", for example, you must delete old files anyway manually (so much for one click).  Keep the GPS if it works fine.  But things change with Internet files, so get familiar with new options.  Learn it.  Live it.  Love it.

http://www.rambler-info.org.uk/gps/howto/ht_load_etrex10.htm

That's for a GPX file that you've already saved on a PC.  Once you're familiar with that, try saving directly to the GPS instead, see if you like that better.  It saves a step.

If this doesn't work, start a new thread about how to load your model of Etrex if you can't find one.

Edited by kunarion
7 minutes ago, Redrich382 said:

With the unit connected to the computer click the save as and put the file into the Garmin/GPX folder on your handheld.