Circular Walks

redpeppe

Hi. New member, just got find no 38 today a week after being introduced by friends. How do we search for a circular series when looking where to go (other then the obvious studying the map)? Love a drive by but much prefer a long walk with the dogs when searching.  Thanks for any help!

Redpeppe

Long walks/hikes are my favorite too, but haven't figured a way to find them "circular" other than the map either.   :)

Higher terrain (2 and up) may help with longer walks if the CO rated it accurately.

Years ago, many multis would lead you out and  back to your vehicle, but these days we don't see that as often.

- Maybe because of the few who some odd reason just phone-a-friend for the final coordinates closest  the car...

Any Geo-Art  nearby may lead you back to the car as well.  Have fun. 

5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Long walks/hikes are my favorite too, but haven't figured a way to find them "circular" other than the map either.   :)

Higher terrain (2 and up) may help with longer walks if the CO rated it accurately.

Years ago, many multis would lead you out and  back to your vehicle, but these days we don't see that as often.

- Maybe because of the few who some odd reason just phone-a-friend for the final coordinates closest  the car...

Any Geo-Art  nearby may lead you back to the car as well.  Have fun. 

Hum in my area in don't think I have encountered a geoart that do that because they are normally on less frequented road

To answer to the OP there isn`t any filter or attribute specific to a loop so your only choice is to look on the map sadly.

I was recently in the Yorkshire area for the UK Mega and was introduced to the circular walks (and the public footpaths) for the first time. There were multiple series that were created around the Ripon and Harrogate areas that I had the opportunity to experience. I have fallen in love with them, but sadly it is not something that seems to have transferred to the US. During my adventures I came across a List that someone created. The geocaches on the list are the first cache in each series with a description about where it is located. Hopefully some of these are nearby!

https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=09597bd2-59c4-47be-90a4-f4914cb7043b

• Upvote 1

Following on (as you are  GSAK user):
After selecting a potential bonus of a series:
1. Download the bonus cache to GSAK

bd9c98f8a673e580268df2c445ba6353.png

2. Select the bonus cache and run the macro "FindSerialCaches.gsk" and choose the most obvious keyword to search for

100c12a50b5af4275dac884fa5e2475d.png

3. The macro does a New Search and returns all caches within 30 mi containing the keyword "greenway" (ie: all the potential series caches - and sometimes even more ;-))
Scroll down the page to its very end. Activate the entire resulting webpage and put it into the clipboard.

f4343b047fb804a4a6302b9aaf19dd6d.png

4. Now run the macro "GrabByCode.gsk" This macro is regexing the clipboard and then does an Api Download with the given cache codes.

2c0e4b82be8f321a02804d9fdaff0931.png

5. Bingo

140c311483fec503ecd6cb83bf6efe30.png

073ca4db91fb93f787782be91dba8b55.png

Have Fun
Hans

Edited by HHL
9 hours ago, HiddenGnome said:

I was recently in the Yorkshire area for the UK Mega and was introduced to the circular walks (and the public footpaths) for the first time.

-snip-

but sadly it is not something that seems to have transferred to the US.

Thanks for that.  :)  

The OP didn't say this was a location-specific series.

In about three weeks I'll be caching in New Mexico and after a quick search I've found several bonus caches along my route between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. With what you've given above it looks like I can leave the house with a gpx file of all the individual caches in the series, much appreciated!