Search problems

The last few days I have been having problems with the Search Criteria. When I enter a specific location ( lets say "Grand Rapids Mi." the search will come up with what looks like a list of new waymarks. Scattered all across the globe.

Is this a wide spread problem or one specific to my computer?

Edited by just for the fun
  • Upvote 1

Searching by place names is a mess. This is not Groundspeak's fault, our ancestors were usually not too creative and there are simply too many places with the same or a similar name all across the globe.

One thing that has always worked, and this is essential for me personally, is the coordinate search. When you enter the numeric coordinates instead of a place name, the results will be accurate.

48 minutes ago, fi67 said:

Searching by place names is a mess. This is not Groundspeak's fault, our ancestors were usually not too creative and there are simply too many places with the same or a similar name all across the globe.

One thing that has always worked, and this is essential for me personally, is the coordinate search. When you enter the numeric coordinates instead of a place name, the results will be accurate.

postal codes usually get me to the right area.

7 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

postal codes usually get me to the right area.

Maybe in the United States, good for you. This might be a solution for the original request.

Here in continental Europe, ZIP codes are much worse than place names.

18 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

The "Search from here" button below the map works quite well. Depending on the situation it is sometimes easier than to enter coordinates.

I agree that that works, or has worked every time I've tried it, which is seldom. When searching from a map I prefer Google Maps as it's easier in every way.

Until a few months ago coordinates worked flawlessly for me but have been hit and miss since then. A day or two ago I had to resort to using place names, which worked for awhile then also ceased to function. Right now, the only reliable way I have to search is to enter coordinates in the manner that Waymarking itself formats them:

[lat:XXX,lon:XXX] (Enter your coords in decimal degree format in place of the XXXs.) Now that I've said that, this method will probably fail, too. Cynical? Darn right!

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
3 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

how do you search Google Maps for Waymark locations????

I guess I should have expanded further on my explanation. When searching for Waymarks, I go to the area in Google Maps, copy the coords, then plug them into the [lat:XXX,lon:XXX] template and insert that into the Waymarking search page.

Keith

EDIT: Speaking of maps - years ago I had found an earth map that had some cool features and have since lost its URL. Anybody have a map that they really like that offers features that either aren't doable with Google Maps or are a PITA to accomplish?

Edited by BK-Hunters
5 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

EDIT: Speaking of maps - years ago I had found an earth map that had some cool features and have since lost its URL. Anybody have a map that they really like that offers features that either aren't doable with Google Maps or are a PITA to accomplish?

I used the Flopps map for my Lucky 7 waymark. Not sure, if that is of help. I think I will also use it to pin some of the locations that I plan to visit during our vacations in Scotland to see what a good route will be. One nice feature is hidden on the bottom right: Under "External Services" you can choose "Waymarking.com", which works similar to the "Search from here" button on Waymarking.com.

• Helpful 1
11 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I used the Flopps map for my Lucky 7 waymark.

One nice feature is hidden on the bottom right: Under "External Services" you can choose "Waymarking.com", which works similar to the "Search from here" button on Waymarking.com.

So do I, use it, that is, for Lucky 7s. I label the Waymarks and only include the longest distances from the "Lines" section. The shorter ones, of no real value, often tend to clutter up the map, hiding other information. Also, when WMs are closely packed I will move them a bit so all are exposed. Compare your map with THIS ONE.

Too, as a rule I use the featured Waymark as the centre. I only use an arbitrary centre when I have to, as you did here.

Had not explored the "External Services" feature. It might come in handy. Thanks.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
On 8/30/2018 at 2:27 PM, PISA-caching said:

One nice feature is hidden on the bottom right: Under "External Services" you can choose "Waymarking.com", which works similar to the "Search from here" button on Waymarking.com.

Probably a long time for this topic, but that was a new one to me. It will reduce the C&P from flopps map when searching a new area. Thanks for pointing this one out.