Macbook Air does not see my Garmin device anymore

I've had my etrex Venture cx (got it in 2007) connected to this laptop before and it worked perfectly. Plugged it in last week. When I tried to send a cache to my gps, got the "install Garmin communicator plug in" window. Downloaded it and it installed ....but not really. Only saw the installer in Finder. Googled it and found some good info: made sure plug ins are "allowed", etc. Still couldn't see it when plugged in. Installed Garmin Express and Web Updater. Web updater could see it.Realized that my iOS and Safari were out of date and updated both. Still can't see the device. Tried a different cord, nothing. Used original cord and a different device (etrex 30) and saw that device. I hope there is a solution....

Sounds like you are trying to use the "Send to GPS" button?  If so, then please know that it just doesn't work anymore.  There are many, many forum topics about this.  You can search for "garmin communicator" in the forum and find the many threads.

Garmin Express is what you'd use for "Send to Garmin", which allows you to send a Bookmark List of caches to your Garmin GPSr.

Your other options are (1) individual cache downloads, using the "GPX File" button on a cache page or (2) multiple cache downloads, using Pocket Queries.

There is one problem you may run into. The eTrex Venture cx may not read geocaching GPX files directly. I'm not sure if it reads GPX files at all, or if it even has mass storage mode.

I don't usually like telling people to just ditch their GPS devices, but in the case of the older models that pre-date paperless caching, I think it's time to let them go for something a bit more modern.

• Helpful 1

The eTrex Venture CX is not capable of reading GPX files directly. It is also not compatible with Garmin Express, so lists is not an option.

You can create pocket queries and transfer the results with Garmin BaseCamp. Be aware that the unit can hold only 500 waypoints. Caches are also transferred into waypoints, so the amount of caches you can load may be less than 500, depending of how many additional waypoints every cache has.