Olympia Cache Machine

travisl

It was nice to meet so many new and old faces at dinner tonight. For those who couldn't make it, there's three last minute route changes:

1) The coordinates for Twin Ponds GCHAXM have changed to N 47° 02.516 W 122° 48.074

2) I'm adding stop 45.5, Bush Prairie Micro GCHBRG, N 46° 57.808 W 122° 53.009

3) I'm adding a final stop just before Red Robin, Yaw-Grrr GCHE1X, N 47° 02.681 W 122° 56.560

Dress warm.

RomulusNR and I have been playing this whole thing by ear, trying to decide whether we want to try the Cache Machine this time or not. My son, who's four, would have to come along with us and I'm not sure how he's going to like the pace of a Cache Machine.

So, tonight, I looked at Ethan and said, "Hey, how would you like to go to forty geocaches tomorrow?!"

"No!!!" he said, with a zany my-mommy-is-out-of-her-mind giggle.

"How about thirty?!"

"No!!!" he repeats, falling over with laughter.

He still thinks I'm crazy, but I think we're going to try to come, barring any blizzards. If the little guy gets tuckered out, we'll skip out for a bit and try to rejoin later. He's a strangely remarkable little boy, though. He might last longer than most of the adults. :)

If we don't make it right at 7, we'll monitor channel 2 until we find you guys. Drive safe! ;)

It has been 37 today, and very pleasant here in Olympia. Nope, still no snow. It's too warm for that.

I hope it was 37 caches that arn't a part of the cache machine!

Pepper

37 DEGREES Pepper, not caches. This morning, it's about 35, and no snow. It will be a good day. Breaky at the Prime Connection, then America the Brave. ( Does that mean that we're Canada the?....never mind.)

It was so wonderful to meet y'all in SNOlympia today!

It took us an extra half hour or so to get home on the very icy roads and I hope all of tonights travelers are home in their snug houses soon.

Also, I'm QUITE certain I owe someone a serious chunk of change for my drink (mmmm, it was good) because while I TRIED to pay that fine, but harried, gent at Red Robin, he was more than sure someone at the end of the table picked up my tab. (If you didn't, well why the hell not??)

Fess up.

-=-

michelle

It was so wonderful to meet y'all in SNOlympia today!

It took us an extra half hour or so to get home on the very icy roads and I hope all of tonights travelers are home in their snug houses soon.

Also, I'm QUITE certain I owe someone a serious chunk of change for my drink (mmmm, it was good) because while I TRIED to pay that fine, but harried, gent at Red Robin, he was more than sure someone at the end of the table picked up my tab. (If you didn't, well why the hell not??)

Fess up.

-=-

michelle

Nice to meet you Michelle! And everyone else for that matter.

I got home safely and had a great time today! Dead tired so I'll probably do most of the logging tomorrow. I believe I got 29 today and Right wing wacko got 28. We basically cached free fo the big group today, except for the beginning and a couple of caches.

What a blast! Thanks L&R and Pepper for letting me tag along. Nice, er, bumping in to you, Doug and Di! :huh::D Thanks Travis for setting this up. I got to 24 caches today (23 of the OCM variety) -- not bad considering I had to leave at 2:00 pm. It helps to have a couple of 4-digit-ers along for the ride!

I got home safely, but needed the whole two hours I alotted myself. I sure worried for the rest of you travelling home later that night.

P.S. If Peter Jackson had cut the last 30 minutes of cheesy wrap-up footage, LoTR/RoTK would have started a half hour later, and I could have snagged a couple more caches! :D Oh well.

We had lots of fun and met some more fellow cachers. I showed my crew how to drive in GPS calibration circles a couple of times. Don't try that at home! By the time we got home I was so tired that I just zonked out, and we didn't even get to that cache :huh: .

Thanks for setting this up Travis. Thanks for the loan of the FRS with channel 2 RWW. Thanks to the tired souls in our vanpool for allowing us thoses last few caches :D

Well lets see where do I start? Hmmm...I know I will first start with thanking Rickie of L&R for putting up with my less than perfect nav. skills.

Lucy and I were not being on our best behavior (whats new)!

Travis... oh Travis what can I say about our fearless leader, Oh Oh I know HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!.

I would also like to send a shout out to my TWIN TWEENS it's also there Birthday, a whoppen 10 years old today.

Snow sure puts a nice little twist on caching in numbers, hmmm which way do we go...hmmm just follow the tracks.

I would like send another shout out to ALL the SNOWolympia Cachers who hit milestones while out trampsing around in the blizzard![/color]

Great to see all you out-of-towners again and look forward to seeing you again at the next CM.

Pepper

It was a blast, huh? The only downer that I can think of was that Wienerdog didn't make it.  :(

Can't wait till the next one!

I agree, but we did have the peanut-butter and honey (honey side down) sandwich with us in her honor!

Which by the way I think is still in the front seat of rickies car. :D

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius

With Travis navigating, we hit 41 caches during the 12 hours. Of those hunted, only one DNF because the gate was closed in the ORV park, 1/2 mile from the cache. Don't let his reputation fool you, Travis even found a few (thanks criminal for the "pull the branches back to expose the presents" tip). I think Geogirl would have been proud.

I'm sure that we would not have done as many but, at 7:14am, Travis spots the most capable looking cache machine machine and bums a ride from us. With the pressure of chaufering the leader, we went for as many as we could. Having the voice command moving maps on the laptop was entertaining. We were able to confuse it so often that there was discussion about switching to a male voice. Being a professional driver with a fresh set of studs on the old trooper, I had a blast in the ice and was able to off-road it to within feet of several caches. We met up with many groups along the way and hunted a bunch without.

Hunting with Travis was fun. Crouched over a cache a few yards off the trail we are spotted by some muggles. Travis says "I don't think they are geocachers". I told him that I didn't think that they thought that we were geocachers either. Kind of embarrassing. Oh well, on to the next one.

Where was everyone? Slinger91, Willapa, GeoNap, Grandpa Rocks and I finished up our final cache, Yaw-Grrr and headed over to Red Robin. Nobody was there!!

Here's the tracking data from the last walk...

1 1/3/2004 9:56:00 PM 120 ft 85 ft 00:00:24 2.4 mph 247° true N47 02.681 W122 56.563

33 1/3/2004 10:03:15 PM 166 ft N47 02.553 W122 56.347

OK, so we're insane.

Since GeoNap and I had found a few caches the night before, it looks like Grandpa Rocks gets the prize (anybody surprised) for the most caches on Saturday - With the event and the Degree Confluence two'fer I think he gets credit for 55 caches

Key to success - First: Be insane. Second: Have two excellent drivers and a full-size 4WD Truck and, (this one is key) an Acura MDX with 4WD and GPS navigation built in.

Oh yeah- of the caches we hunted we had zero DNFs. Amazing. There were a couple of close calls and some bushwacking that was ill-advised at times, but we found a whole bunch of decon containers, cammo'd tupperware and ammo boxes.

Edited by pdxmarathonman

Okay this is cross posted from the Yahoo group.

I've created a "I survived the SNOlympia Cache Machine" logo.

SNOCM.jpg

If you want you can visit my Cafe Press store if you want to order a professional looking shirt. The items will be listed at base price, no profit to me. I've only got shirts up there for now. If you want another product let me know and I'll add it.

If you don't want to pay the cafe press prices, and I don't blame you, feel free to download the image and use it as you wish.

Maybe for the next Cache Machine I'll get one made up before the event.

Edited by Wander Lost

(image edited out)

If you want you can visit my Cafe Press store if you want to order a professional looking shirt. The items will be listed at base price, no profit to me. I've only got shirts up there for now. If you want another product let me know and I'll add it.

If you don't want to pay the cafe press prices, and I don't blame you, feel free to download the image and use it as you wish.

Excellent! Would you mind if I modified it slightly to recognize I was there for only 1/2 the day?

;) I don't have a credit card, and I wanted to order a couple of sweatshirts. Thing is, I live in BC, and it won't let me use the Money Order option. I can get a US funds money order here, and send it, even though it will be via snail mail. Is there any way around this? I REALLY want a couple!

PS. Great logo! :lol:

If you have tshirt transfer paper I can send you a high res image and you can make your own. You just have to buy the shirts yourself.

I find that the tshirt transfers work very well myself and will most likely just do that for myself.

Thanks! I've done T-shirt transfers before-it's fun! What do I owe you for that? ;)

Reminds me of some of our friends. ;)B)B)

We went on a trip last summer and entrusted Emily of Kodak's4 to check on the cats. When we got home, it was shocking to see all the Police Crime Scene tape drapped around our door. Gave us quiet a pause. Then there was talk of event caches happening in our apt. where you had to climb up from the balcony. None of the neighbors complained though.

And then, the cats acted pretty weird for a while. As in, way too sweet. Not normal for them !