Olympia Cache Machine

travisl

I noticed that several of the first few caches on the route are part of DubyaDee's Guild of Theves series and require you to access them at certain times of the day.  From where they are on the route it appears to me we will be getting to them at the wrong time.

Is this going to be a problem?

Caching and snowshoeing! Edit: meant to quote Slingers line!!

Edited by evergreenhiker!
DubyaDee's Guild of Theves series ... require you to access them at certain times of the day

I've seen that others have found them during the off hours, and DubyaDee has let their logs stay. From that fact, I'm guessing we can log them, but can't count ourselves as Guild of Thieves members (well, except me, 'cause I already bagged Dancing Waters a few months ago).

Whoo-hoo! It looks like I'm going to make it down for the event after all (the schedule for the holidays this year has been quite randomized by a number of things)! I'm still trying to decide if I'll get a last-minute hotel room or make the drive down and back on Saturday.

M10B we are meeting up at the Wilburton park and ride (SE 8th and I-405) at 5:15AMish if you decide to drive down the day of.

Pepper

Latest from the KOMO Weather website:

Another shot of colder air comes in for New Year's Day on Thursday. In fact, there's a chance of snow mixing with rain showers each day for the rest of the week. Best bet for measurable snowfall comes to start the weekend on Saturday.

Bring your warm clothes it's going to be a cold one.

Crossposted to the Olympia Cache Machine page.

OK all you overnighters. We have booked our room at the Best Western.

I have checked back through all the threads and can count about 10 user names that will be staying the night in Olympia. Five at the BW, two at the EconoLodge, one at the Ramada, and two unknowns.

For those of you that may want to get together for dinner on Friday night we are planning on dinner at the lounge of the Prime Connection which is in the Best Western (900 Capital Way South). We will be there from 6:30 to 8:30. Stop on by to share stories and recieve the latest updates.

Yepper, printed up some new stickers for flyingdogs and I!

Warm clothes!

GPSr,

Palm,

Warm clothes

Spare Batteries,

Headlamps,

Warm Clothes,

Map of Caches to Hunt,

Warm Boots,

Warm clothes,

Snacks,

EGH! for experience,

MA to navigate

Warm Clothes

Money for Red Robin

I must be missing something?

Yepper, printed up some new stickers for flyingdogs and I!

Warm clothes!

GPSr,

Palm,

Warm clothes

Spare Batteries,

Headlamps,

Warm Clothes,

Map of Caches to Hunt,

Warm Boots,

Warm clothes,

Snacks,

EGH! for experience,

MA to navigate

Warm Clothes

Money for Red Robin

I must be missing something?

LOL I think that about covers it!

what is in your pack that nobody knows is there? Or better yet weird stuff that may just help you with a cache

From far too many hours of playing D&D in college, my geopack wouldn't be complete without 50' of rope. It's never come in useful in any of my cache hunts, but I still carry it.

Still snowing here. As long as the roads are open we'll be there.

Been snowing here for a while now, it's looken good!

I to am still there but I do beleive I will have to leave at 5AM instead of 5:15AM.

Don't won't to take any chances of missing the first cache with the group.

Pepper

I type this from our room at the Best Western. There IS high speed internet access here for $10 extra a night, from the base rate of $60.

On another topic, it is NOT snowing, but it did try. The worst we saw was around Federal Way, where I5 was slightly slick while changing lanes, but no real problem.

One more note, thanks to lucyandrickie and Supergenius for today. It was a blast!! Thanks again Eastsiders!

Now, where is everybody??? We're here already, where are you??

One more note, thanks to lucyandrickie and Supergenius for today. It was a blast!! Thanks again Eastsiders!

No problem BCM and CR it was our pleasure! BC we gave the auto routing a try and it ROCKS I am so in LOVE!

Now, where is everybody??? We're here already, where are you??

Fortunate enouth to be on my very own couch watching it SNOW!!! Enough snow for the children to be out in it playing for about 45 minutes now. I feel sure if I were to peek out side there would be at least Snowman in the making.

Keep us updated BC.

Pepper

(Cross-posted from geocachingwa)

Current forcast is for 2-6 inches of snow in the Puget Sound region AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT (Fri). I am concerned the roads won't be cleared by 5am for the Bellevue/Willburton carpool. I have the right equipment to drive in the snow, but I'm not sure I have the driving skills. (My husband is the inclement weather driver and he's not available to go.) Two of my carpool (nudecacher and Detective Elizabeth) have already cancelled. Much as I want to go, I think I'm with evergreenhiker's likelihood of 50/50 of making it.

My son and I would like to carpool. The trip is half the fun.

I would suggest meeting up at the Wilburton park and ride (SE 8th and I-405). Anyone else want to join? I have a 7-person van that I can bring.

It looks like about 65 miles, so allowing for a small buffer, we should depart at 5:30 AM. :unsure:

Just a heads up for the folks meeting at 8th & 405 please don't wait for me I will be long gone by then.

I'm not taking any chances and don't want to be pressured on time so I am leaving from the P&R at 4:30 am so I can drive a slow as I want to.

See ya'll in Olymia.

Pepper

My son and I would like to carpool.  The trip is half the fun.

I would suggest meeting up at the Wilburton park and ride (SE 8th and I-405).  Anyone else want to join?  I have a 7-person van that I can bring.

It looks like about 65 miles, so allowing for a small buffer, we should depart at 5:30 AM. :unsure:

Just a heads up for the folks meeting at 8th & 405 please don't wait for me I will be long gone by then.

I'm not taking any chances and don't want to be pressured on time so I am leaving from the P&R at 4:30 am so I can drive a slow as I want to.

See ya'll in Olymia.

Pepper

We'll be stopping by the P&R. It is on the way for us so not a big deal to hop on and off. Also, there is safety in numbers should the roads be hazardous.

For the folks new to this area (I've been here for over 20 years) the freeways usually stay sanded to help the grip when a snowstorm like this is anticipated. The roadcrews will be up late and out early to handle this. Then the arterials get handled. You'll find your biggest problems in the neighborhood streets. Add this to the general traffic that will be on the system then, I'm fairly certain the freeway will be ok.

TravisL, based on the weather concerns, shall we delay the start time by 1/2 hour to allow for the distance drivers?

Edited by TotemLake
based on the weather concerns, shall we delay the start time by 1/2 hour to allow for the distance drivers

No -- then we're burning daylight. In fact, even if I don't make it to Oly on time, I'd still expect folks to still meet at the capitol at 7 and leave at 7:15 without me. The machine rolls on. There's no snow delays on a cache machine :unsure:

4:30 or 5:00 wouldn't be a bad departure time from Wilburton, though, just to play it safe. I'm planning on leaving my Lakewood home no later than 5:45.

I am still 50/50 on this. I am preparing tonight and will get up at 4:00am and listen to the news and weather reports. I'll make my decision by 4:30am. I plan to go to the P&R if I go.

Marcus Aurelius or TotemLake, do you have a cell phone number I can call in the morning? If for security reasons you don't want to post it here, my personal email is charis underscore sophia at yahoo dot com (spam-prevention format).

I am still 50/50 on this. I am preparing tonight and will get up at 4:00am and listen to the news and weather reports. I'll make my decision by 4:30am. I plan to go to the P&R if I go.

Marcus Aurelius or TotemLake, do you have a cell phone number I can call in the morning? If for security reasons you don't want to post it here, my personal email is charis underscore sophia at yahoo dot com (spam-prevention format).

I'm still 50/50 on this too. Problem is that I live at the bottom of a steep hill so if it gets snowy/and or very icy....I'm not risking car damage. can't afford that right now. If you don't see me by 530...take off. Because if I go, I will make sure I'm there before 530.

Sent it. I'll be taking off at 5:30 sharp to make Oly on time.

I'm still 50/50 on this too. Problem is that I live at the bottom of a steep hill so if it gets snowy/and or very icy....I'm not risking car damage. can't afford that right now. If you don't see me by 530...take off. Because if I go, I will make sure I'm there before 530.

Well I for one hope you make it EGH. But if you don't, the circumstances certainly make it understandable.