Olympia Cache Machine

travisl

Ooh! We got media attention:

The Olympian writes:

Don't expect Geocaching to slow down in South Sound anytime soon.

An Olympia Cache Machine is set for Jan. 3, during which geocachers will convene in South Sound.

Events start at 7 a.m. at specific coordinates revealed at Geocaching.com.

"People come from all over," Williams [Gold Diggers] said. "They're going to meet at the Capitol and they'll all go en masse and hit as many caches as they can."

<keanu>Whoa</keanu>

Since this will be very nearly a New Year's event, perhaps there might be some reolutions, to go a long with a New Year's Cache machine. I will go first.

1) I have decided to no longer make decisions.

2) I will no longer care about the apathy problem around here.

3) I will no longer procrastinate....after tomorrow.

I've got a Travel Bug that I'm going to leave in a cache in Salem Oregon next weekend (the 19th).

It's goal is to visit state capitols.

Is there anyone from the Salem area who is planning on attending the Olympia event as well?

If so, I'd like to leave it in a time-sensitive sort of way for you to pick up to get to Olympia.

I'd probably leave it in south Salem, as we're planning a cache day in that general area.

Any takers?

P.S. This isn't one of my Bugs, I'm just trying to get it headed in the right direction for the owners, John & Lynn.

Edited by Homerz

I see different hotels mentioned in posts but no concenseous about where to stay yet. Is there going to be a Friday night pre-event get together that I haven't checked about yet? Lucy and Rickie is there going to be a Capitol Bobalou, you guys always put on a great event? I should check the Washington state cache map for events.

MBC and CacheRunner I have solved the mobile internet problem. Just got our new cell phones and with our plan can hook up the laptop to the phone and use our providers national web with just minutes of use charged. With unlimited nights and weekends no more paying ten dollars for 24 hours use at the hotel.

See you all at the events.

Geocaching.com has asked that a cache machine, the pre-event gathering (if provided), and the lunch stop (if provided) now be rolled into one event, instead of counting them as three separate finds.

That said, I haven't heard anything about a pre-event gathering, lunch stop, or hotels any more than the rest of you have. For now, lunch will be a brown bag affair at Summit Lake (and although there's a Summit Lake Grocery, I don't know if it's close enough to stop and grab a sandwich).

MBC and CacheRunner I have solved the mobile internet problem. Just got our new cell phones and with our plan can hook up the laptop to the phone and use our providers national web with just minutes of use charged. With unlimited nights and weekends no more paying ten dollars for 24 hours use at the hotel.

See you all at the events.

Hey GR!

Sounds great! Wait til you see the new toys we have! :D

MBC has tricked up the MeriPlat, so it works almost as good as Junior! :lol:

Looking forward to meeting up with you!

OK, I take it no one is interested in moving the bug along.  Hope the event is fun!

Au contraire! We will be coming from north of the border, but can blast down to Salem to get the bug if GrandpaRocks doesn't grab it. It's only another 100 miles, right? Nice way to spend a New Year's Day, doing reststop caches along the way. If no takers by 27th or so, we will do that for you.

Mariner BC-

I think we can keep you from having to come all the way to Salem.

Soup has offered to grab the bug from Salem and move it North to Portland.

I will let Soup know that once the bug is grabbed from Salem that he should contact you and let you where he will be placing it.

Log on at www.pdxgeocaching.com under 'events', and the 'Olympia Cache Machine' thread also, and that will hook the two of you up so you can keep the bug headed north in time.

Thanks!

- Homerz

Edited by Homerz
Mariner BC-

I think we can keep you from having to come all the way to Salem. 

Soup has offered to grab the bug from Salem and move it North to Portland. 

I will let Soup know that once the bug is grabbed from Salem that he should contact you and let you where he will be placing it. 

Log on at www.pdxgeocaching.com under 'events', and the 'Olympia Cache Machine' thread also, and that will hook the two of you up so you can keep the bug headed north in time.

Thanks!

- Homerz

Cool, I'll grab it in Portland then, if no one else does. As far as accomodation goes, it looks like the Best Western in Olympia for us, unless most of the gang is elsewhere?

Well, I got the day off for the cache machine, So i'll be there, dunno about the night before yet. I gotta get home from hawaii first!!! Ill be staying in everett with mom (free crashing and DSL) LOL. So I plan on drivin around for the cache machine. If ne one wants to tag along they are welcome. Depending on what rig i bring i have room for 2 people. Just drop me an email if that's what u wanna do. This one is going to be better then the Spokane CM. I'll put money on that! Cant wait to see all of ya again. ALOHA!!!!

Cya

~Tenniskid!

I see different hotels mentioned in posts but no concenseous about where to stay yet. Is there going to be a Friday night pre-event get together that I haven't checked about yet? Lucy and Rickie is there going to be a Capitol Bobalou, you guys always put on a great event?

All I've seen so far are a recommendation for the Best Western, one person staying at the EconoLodge, and a big convoy out of the great emerald north.

I've fired off an e-mail to MisguidedOne and LucyAndRickie to check the status of 'Capitol Babaloo' and/or some lunch event.

Also, I've got another set of waypoint files, created and hosted by Mr.Gigabyte, which I'll be adding to the OCM page this evening.

Lastly, I expect to post the final route and the packet of cache pages on Sunday night.

Watch this space for updates.

The state of our involvement in pre event activities will depend on the in-laws. They are in town for a few weeks and we've got to confer with them on plans. So hosting a Friday night event is a bit unlikely for us at this point.

Hopefully we'll get down for the party, but right now we're just hoping to make the cache machine itself.

Edited by Team Misguided

Hey Everybody,

We have been busy and just haven't been keeping up with the forums. Sorry.

Our personal plans are to head down to Olympia Fri. morn. or early afternoon.

I'll get right to work on the space for the Capital Babaloo.

I think most of the people staying over Friday are from Oregon and other states. A lot of the Eastsiders (of the Lake, that is) are just driving down the morning of the CM.

If I can't get the central caching hotel party room and have to go with a restaurant, any suggestions? No Red Robin as that is for the next day. No strip clubs OR Hooters (Sorry, Oregone) Thoughts are welcome. Must be family friendly, have beer, preferably Mac and Jacks African Amber (sorry, had to throw a personal preference there) require shoes and shirts (no matter how muddy and stinky), kids should be welcome and we must be allowed to laugh loudly.

Post suggestions here or send them to me in an email.

Lucy

I see different hotels mentioned in posts but no concenseous about where to stay yet. Is there going to be a Friday night pre-event get together that I haven't checked about yet? Lucy and Rickie is there going to be a Capitol Bobalou, you guys always put on a great event?

All I've seen so far are a recommendation for the Best Western, one person staying at the EconoLodge, and a big convoy out of the great emerald north.

I've fired off an e-mail to MisguidedOne and LucyAndRickie to check the status of 'Capitol Babaloo' and/or some lunch event.

Also, I've got another set of waypoint files, created and hosted by Mr.Gigabyte, which I'll be adding to the OCM page this evening.

Lastly, I expect to post the final route and the packet of cache pages on Sunday night.

Watch this space for updates.

;) Add my name to the list for the Econo Lodge :D

Well, it looks like I'm in.  Are there any empty seats (I'll need one) available at the Eastside carpool convoy?

Hey Davyi

If nobody else pipes up. I have a seat I leave down to give the pooch a window and a little more room. I can flip that back up to give you space.

In fact, that'll give my daughter and her boyfriend a reason to sit together.

Edited by TotemLake
MA says:

My son and I would like to carpool. The trip is half the fun.

I would suggest meeting up at the Wilburton park and ride (SE 8th and I-405). Anyone else want to join? I have a 7-person van that I can bring.

It looks like about 65 miles, so allowing for a small buffer, we should depart at 5:30 AM. 

Dayvi just in case you havn't read the whole thread!

Pepper

Gentle topic shift:

I don't know how it went in Spokane, but I much prefer the Yakima/Bremerton style start to the Victoria style start.

In Yakima, everyone who could wake up early enough all met at "Elk Feeding" (a virt), we left en masse to hit "Y View", and the group gradually got spread out as the morning went on.

Similarly, in Bremerton, we met at the parking lot to "NAD Soroptamist (Plane) Park", hit the trail at daybreak, got the cache, then left as a group to hit "NAD Marine" (laughing at Oregone on the radio for running late), then the group gradually got spread out as the morning went on.

Contrastingly, in Victoria, the starting point was the actual "Cache and a Movie" cache location, and when people hit the cache, they immediately left to go to the next spot, even though it was before the scheduled departure time.

Can we meet at 7:00 (still dark), and schedule a group departure at 7:15 (rosy skies), instead of trickling out? During those intervening 15 minutes, I'm sure the answers to the first two caches (virts) will be pointed out and discussed.

Kinder gentler shift:

Travis is right. For the sake of those who show up a little late, :) A group start time would be best. As the day goes on, the group spreads out, but when a difficult cache comes up, the rest catch up. And no one tries to ditch the group in the dust. (Lone Cedar) :) But seriously, I am very curious to se how this one turns out. I've got this feeling there is going to be a lot of cachers at this one. We should all car pool as much as we can!

Hey Davyi

If nobody else pipes up. I have a seat I leave down to give the pooch a window and a little more room. I can flip that back up to give you space.

In fact, that'll give my daughter and her boyfriend a reason to sit together.

Sold! I think. The pooch isn't going to be riding on my lap is he now? :)

Thanks for the offer!

-d

MA says:

I would suggest meeting up at the Wilburton park and ride (SE 8th and I-405). Anyone else want to join? I have a 7-person van that I can bring.

It looks like about 65 miles, so allowing for a small buffer, we should depart at 5:30 AM. 

Pepper

Thanks. I will be at the Wilburton P&R at 5:30.

MA says:

Pepper

Thanks. I will be at the Wilburton P&R at 5:30.

Good! No matter what happens then, you'll have a ride.

Glad to see that you'll make the Machine Dayvi! It'll be a blast...you dont' know what it's like till you participate in one.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to expect. But I do know that I'll never get to all those Olympia caches any other way, I really would like to see Olympia and surrounds, and this is a great group to hang with. I'm looking forward to it immensely.

-d

QUOTE (pdxmarathonman @ Dec 3 2003, 11:35 PM)

... I was reminded tonight after doing a solo night cache that I really need a BFL.   

I'm sure you could use one of ours while we're there, cuz we sure don't plan on stopping at dark!  We also have handy dandy headlamps! Oooooh.....Ahhhhhhh..... 

I got a BFL for Christmas (1.5M Candle Power rechargeable) :mad:

I also got a Camelbak backpack and cargo pants with 6 pockets up and down the legs :D. Is it January 3rd yet? :D

I am staying at the Ramada for $70... it was only like $2 more a night than the Best Western (at least the rates I could find) and it includes high speed internet access, jacuzzi, sauna, and all that good stuff. $70 for the Ramada is not a bad deal at all. Here is the info on the Olympia Ramada hotel. I just booked it straight from their website.

I will be leaving Yakima on either Wed Night (late) or Thursday Morning (Early) If ne one wants to jump on the band wagon, drop me an email, I want to do some cachin on thursday for anyone that wants to hook up. I dunno, Hope everyone makes it over the pass if they have to go over it. Cya there!

~Tenniskid

I will be leaving Yakima on either Wed Night (late) or Thursday Morning (Early) If ne one wants to jump on the band wagon, drop me an email, I want to do some cachin on thursday for anyone that wants to hook up. I dunno, Hope everyone makes it over the pass if they have to go over it. Cya there!

~Tenniskid

Hey TK, how have you been?

We arrive in the afternoon Thursday, staying at the Best Western. Let's go play as we did in Spokane.