Olympia Cache Machine

travisl

I've kind of gathered what a cache machine is, but help me out with how it works in reality.

Does one person find a cache then fifty people come by and sign the log without actually finding it, or are there smaller groups so the cache is actually -found- a couple of times that day... what?

Just FMI.

mystats.php?userid=Bull%20Moose&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=wsga.jpg

B-M, I just participated in my first cache machine in Spokane, and at first I was worried that the whole day would be the "one person finds it and 50 people log it." The first couple were sort of that way, although there were probably two groups each time.

By the time the third or fourth cache came along, we were already beginning to split into groups. After an hour, the cache machine was made up of small groups of cars -- maybe 2 or 3 traveling together. Most of the day was spent navigating on our own or with one or two other cars...finding the cache, maybe running into others as we searched. It was like running into other cachers on the trail -- you help each other out, find the cache together, then head off in another direction.

By the way, Spokane area cachers had set up some very nice things for us. There was a great picnic in the park, and a few cachers had placed signs of welcome next to their caches -- very special!

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

I've kind of gathered what a cache machine is, but help me out with how it works in reality.

Does one person find a cache then fifty people come by and sign the log without actually finding it, or are there smaller groups so the cache is actually -found- a couple of times that day... what?

Just FMI.

http://www.keenpeople.com/stats/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At Spokane, the gang spread out after 7 or 8 caches, and even more so after lunch. We (our carload) were mostly alone for probably 30 or more. You still run into people, though, and can cache as a group if you wish. Either is great fun.

I am hoping to attend, but if not, best of luck to all.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

[This message was edited by marinerBC on October 07, 2003 at 12:57 PM.]

quote:
Anyone know the forecast for Jan. 3? Rain?

Well, WeatherPlanner.com used to have free forecasts out a year in advance, but they charge for their info now.

The Western Regional Climate center says that the average January 3 (between 1949 and 2003) had a 65% chance of 0.01" of rain or more, and a 45% chance of 0.10" of rain or more. Based on an average between 1970 and 2000, we can expect the low to be around 31°F, and a high of 44°F.

My gut feeling tells me that it's gonna be rainy and wet. Make sure your car window defoggers are working.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

quote:
Anyone know the forecast for Jan. 3? Rain?

My gut feeling tells me that it's gonna be rainy and wet. Make sure your car window defoggers are working.

_WWJD? JW RTFM._

Excellent!

I'm leaning towards coming... if my wife lets me!

Are geodogs welcome to tag along? Chewie gets bummed when he sees me grab my GPSr and backpack but have to leave him home.

BTW, travisl, I've been trying to figure out the RTFM in your sig forever. What does it mean?!

mystats.php?userid=Bull%20Moose&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=wsga.jpg

From ThinkGeek.com:

quote:
RTFM is not having to say you are sorry. RTFM is a big chromatic dragon with bloodshot beady eyes and fangs the size of oars. RTFM is me screaming at you as fireballs come out of my mouth to get off your precious no-good tush, march down to the local bookstore or MAN page repository, and get the eff off my back because I'm trying very hard to get some freakin' work done. Jeez.

Dictionary.com describes it thus (edited for young eyes):

quote:
rtfm

<jargon> /R T F M/ Read The F_____ Manual (always abbreviated, sometimes bowdlerised to "- Fine -") An (unhelpful) guru's traditional response when someone asks a question in a newsgroup or mailing list which he could have easily answered for himself had he bothered to RTFM.

The term may also be used to indicate that you couldn't find the answer in the manual. E.g. "How do I interface Unix to my toaster? And yes, I did RTFM but the FM didn't help and I can't RTFS."

Derived forms include RTFAQ, RTFB, and RTM. Compare: UTSL.

RTFS refers to the source code. RTFB refers to the binary code. UTSL (which I'd never heard before seeing it here) is "Use the source, Luke".

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
Originally posted by Right Wing Wacko:

Has anyone given any thought to what hotel we should try to stay at?

Since this cache machine is right at the end of the Holiday Season, it would be a good idea to start making reservations now.

I also want to spend Friday night in Olympia and would like a heads up on where to stay.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Hotel?!

It's only a hour and a half drive.

For some of us yes, but others are coming from Canada, Yakima, Spokane, Boise, Montana, and who knows where else.

At Spokane they held pre-event get together the night before and I would rather not drive down twice. It will also give me those precious extra two hours of sleep that night icon_smile.gif

I would also prefer to have a place to clean up after a day full of caching (most likly in the rain) before heading off to the event at the Red Robin that night.

quote:
Originally posted by Right Wing Wacko:

Has anyone given any thought to what hotel we should try to stay at?

Not knowing how deep people's pockets are, here are a few suggestions:

Phoenix Inn Suites is Very Close to where the Machine will start - maybe a mile, tops. It is relatively new, and nice from the outside. I've been inside to pick up a friend, but haven't actually seen the rooms. However, said friend thought it was a perfectly nice place to stay. They also have a rather large breakfast thing going on.

There is AmeriTel Inns in Lacey. Not as close to the Capitol as Phoenix, but also relatively new. Breakfast here as well. Probably 5 miles from the Capitol building with easy access from/to I5.

Right near AmeriTel in Lacey is Comfort Inn.

As is a Holiday Inn Express.

There is Best Western Motor Inn almost kitty corner from the Capitol itself. Personally wouldn't stay anywhere with 'motor inn' in the name, but that's just from living in a small town where every dump on the road between me and the beach is a 'motor inn' of some sort. I don't even recall what this place looks like and know I've driven by it at least a zillion times.

You can also check out Expedia for a few more hotels, but if it were me I'd stay at Phoenix, AmeriTel, Choice, Holiday Inn Express, in that order. The cities you'd need to look in are Olympia, Lacey and/or Tumwater. They're all connected with easy access to, oh, everywhere you'd want to be for this shin-dig!

We'll be staying at Hotel Mom. Sorry folx I just checked and they are all booked for the weekend.

We may be able to provide a 'meeting room' for Club Babaloo but we'll have to check with management first.

smile.gif I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you've heard is not what I meant. --Richard Nixon

Washington State Geocaching Assn.

I just called the Best Western. They have all 99 rooms available!!

They are right across the road from the Capitol. The offer a complimentary full hot breakfast, an indoor spa, exercise equipment, free parking, etc...They also have a meeting room available for our Club Babaloo. I'm going to check on a group rate tomorrow. Does anyone have any idea how many rooms we would be looking at? I believe we have to book at least 10. The regular rates are about $60.00/night.

The Best Western is a fine chain of hotels. I don't think there is anything to worry about with them.

If anyone is thinking of staying there, please let me know and I can try to arrange a group rate for us.

"You are cleared for geocaching."

We're driving up as well... it's only an hour and up a road we travel somewhat regularly.

I'd be hardpressed to come up with any caches on the proposed route (as discussed with Travis) that aren't dog-friendly. Everything in the outlying areas is def. dog friendly. It seems as if I read/did one in the Olympia area that said 'no dogs' but that's the only one I vaguely recall. I'll poke around and see if I can figure out which one it was.

Bring the pooch!

-=-

michele

This cache is a no dog one, but I can't see the route description so I'm not sure if it's included or not.

Prarie de Bute isn't on the list to be done, but Over the Fence, on St. Martins property (#51) is a no-dog cache as well. Since it's not going to be warm, there shouldn't be any trouble leaving the animals in the vehicles while you run out just beyond centerfield and back.

It appears that we will be able to make this our First Cache Machine!! We were both able to get Friday the 2nd of Jan. off from work, which we'll use as a travel day and do some caching also. The only problem will be the weather and pass closures. We'll be coming from Eastern Wash. and sometimes the passes get closed. We'll also need a Motel room for two nights, the 2nd. and 3rd. Any suggestions or recommendations (reasonable).

Thanks travis for all the hard work you put into these events. Really looking forward to attending this.

It appears that we will be able to make this our First Cache Machine!! We were both able to get Friday the 2nd of Jan. off from work, which we'll use as a travel day and do some caching also. The only problem will be the weather and pass closures. We'll be coming from Eastern Wash. and sometimes the passes get closed. We'll also need a Motel room for two nights, the 2nd. and 3rd. Any suggestions or recommendations (reasonable).

Thanks travis for all the hard work you put into these events. Really looking forward to attending this.

Glad to hear that you guys will be able to make it!

Four of Team Phatboyz will be there and we are SOOOOOOOOO looking forward to it. Since we live in Tacoma, we will be driving down the morning of and if there is a party the night before we might just drive down for that as well :)

Looking forward to doing some serious caching and seeing everyone again. CANT WAIT!!!!

This cache is a no dog one, but I can't see the route description so I'm not sure if it's included or not.

Prarie de Bute isn't on the list to be done, but Over the Fence, on St. Martins property (#51) is a no-dog cache as well. Since it's not going to be warm, there shouldn't be any trouble leaving the animals in the vehicles while you run out just beyond centerfield and back.

If you saw how crazy my dog went when I walked a mere 50 feet at Pepper's Backpack Bandana cache, you wouldn't ask me to leave my dog behind in the jeep when I go on a short run cache hunt. Any No Dog caches will be DNF in my log on purpose.

Any No Dog caches will be DNF in my log on purpose.

Well, there is that. Definitely worthy of a DNF, then! (I would NEVAH ask anyone to leave their dog behind... I was just implying that if your dog was so inclined to couch potato it, it's a very short jaunt from truck to cache.)

There is a set of 6 caches put out in Olympia that started out very dog specific (one is Jewels Little Gems on the CM route)... All dog stuff, all the time. I had to convince my 4yo that even though cat food does taste good (HER opinion) we weren't supposed to take the edible dog treats!

:ph34r: I will be back from Hawaii in time to attend. I'll just drive over to seattle and spend new years with my mom and just drive down to the event on that Saturday morning. She lives in Lynnwood, so it's not 2 far away. :D im just glad that i get to go to another one of these, they are so fun, and you meet so many great people!!!

CYA THEN!!

~Derek (Tenniskid)

"If i were tupperware, where would I hide?"

My son and I would like to carpool. The trip is half the fun.

I would suggest meeting up at the Wilburton park and ride (SE 8th and I-405). Anyone else want to join? I have a 7-person van that I can bring.

It looks like about 65 miles, so allowing for a small buffer, we should depart at 5:30 AM. :ph34r:

Edited by MarcusArelius

The second draft of the route is up, with particular thanks to Oly Sidewinder, who sat down with me over coffee this afternoon and pointed out quite a few tweaks to make this route work better.

I've tentatively scheduled the lunch stop at the Summit Lake Community Center (stop 34 on the second draft route), which, at this point, is a brown-bag it affair. It's around the noonish point, has bathroom facilities, and should give you a rest before attempting Gobbler's Roost, which O.S. says is a bit of a scramble (wear good shoes!).

My son and I would like to carpool. The trip is half the fun.

I would suggest meeting up at the Wilburton park and ride (SE 8th and I-405). Anyone else want to join? I have a 7-person van that I can bring.

It looks like about 65 miles, so allowing for a small buffer, we should depart at 5:30 AM. :D

flyingdogs and runhills are interested in the convoy from Redmond; maybe even seats in the MA van if there are still a couple left!

So for my van pool it looks like me, my son, Evergreen Hiker, Hydnsek, Runhills and Flyingdogs.

Charis_Shopia has volunteered to drive with a couple of Pennsylvania cachers, CCCooperAgency and SBux.

Pepper and Totem Lake will also be in the convoy.

If anyone else has seats to fill and wants to join the convoy please speak up.

So for my van pool it looks like me, my son, Evergreen Hiker, Hydnsek, Runhills and Flyingdogs.

Charis_Shopia has volunteered to drive with a couple of Pennsylvania cachers, CCCooperAgency and SBux.

Pepper and Totem Lake will also be in the convoy.

If anyone else has seats to fill and wants to join the convoy please speak up.

I had not yet decided whether I am going to go the Hotel route so I can be nice and fresh in the morning, or if I was going to join the convoy. I've been spending to much $$$ on other things lately, so it looks like it will be the convoy.

I am assuming at this point that I'll be joining your convoy in which case I will have room for a Navigator in the Co-Pilot seat of the Ranger.

We're going to be in town on New Year's Day, so we'll be fresh as daisies :P and ready to go!! Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones! I know MBC already asked, but does anyone know of any hotels that have High Speed Internet access? It's not crucial, as we may have the PDA by then, but it would still be nice! 4 more weeks!! :P