How to replace a travel bug

hokumcacher

If it's your own, you may make a new tag in some fashion or inscribe the number. 

If it is not your TB, be sure to make a suitable log, it's bound to be a good story.  Contact the owner who may make a new version for release, or may opt to use the tracking number in some other way.

The "tag" part, the part of a trackable with a professionally inscribed tracking number, is what is considered to be the "trackable item", so when the tag is destroyed/lost it is the trackable that was destroyed/lost.  Then it's time to revive it and start over.  With decent information about the situation, the owner can decide what happens next.  Maybe the owner marks it missing, then revives it in a new way, and places it into a cache.  Maybe he'd rather re-use the number as a patch on a backpack or a sticker on a car.

Edited by kunarion

I had the tail of a fish attached to a trackable of mine chewed off by a three year old human recently :(.

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=7621270

" Picked up from a geocaching event. I have to apologise to the owner. My 3 year old daughter decided the fish looked tasty and managed to bite it's tail off while I wasn't looking. Will send it on its way shortly. "

I do appropriate the honesty.

3 hours ago, rtrice81 said:

I found pieces of it and can't seem to find the tag either.

The tag will turn up eventually, although not sure you'd want to retrieve it and send it back out.

But in all seriousness, hopefully your dog passes what it ate and that it doesn't get a blockage. Definitely something to keep an eye on, especially depending on the size of your dog relative to the size of the TB.

6 hours ago, rtrice81 said:

My dog ate a travel bug and I would like to replace it, how do I go about doing that?

I found pieces of it and can't seem to find the tag either.

You don't say if it's yours, or if another's, whether you happened to put it in your inventory before "the dog ate it".

If yours, you have the spare to send out if you'd like.

If another's, be sure to email them and ask what they'd like done with it.  It belongs to them...

Hopefully the vet's not needed for possible retrieval.