Not Moving

rcccraft

It looks like the cacher hasn't found any caches since they picked up the TB from you.  If you want them to move the TB, then perhaps contact them directly and ask them when they might be moving your trackable.  Maybe even advise them that they could drop it into a cache they've already found.

Two months really isn't very long compared to some cases of trackables being held for what the TO considers a "long time".  At least the cachers that have your TB are not finding a lot of caches and just not dropping it off, which can be more frustrating.  It looks like they just don't go caching often, so haven't had the opportunity to drop it off yet.

• Upvote 1

[Oh, hi! Until I looked at your profile, I didn't recognize you as "the new guy" planting caches just north of me in the San Ramon Valley.]

To be honest, 2 months isn't that log for TBs. I mean, I agree TBs should be moved more promptly, but it's not uncommon for someone to take that long yet still move it along eventually.

But, unlike NanCycle (although that advise is also good, by the way!), I'm not going to suggest that you just move on and forget about it. Go ahead and talk to the person holding your TB. Maybe they think 2 months is too long, too, and they're already feeling guilty about it. Maybe they think 2 months is normal and will be interested to hear your opinions about that. Listen to what they have to say and find out. You don't need to pay attention to the time factor, just talk to them about your TB. But don't accuse them of abusing it. Too often people approach other geocachers as adversaries instead of as the cohorts we all are.

It will be fun to make friends and exchange ideas. Never let geocaching.com or these forums get in the way of getting to know people through personal interaction.

They were conscious to Grab the trackable, when it wasn't logged properly into the cache by the TO   (but didn't visit it to the cache for a mileage start either).

They haven't cached since, but that doesn't mean they don't intend to. Over 2,000 finds,  and last logged in a couple days ago... 

My last surgery took almost half a year, and I'm slowly caching again off n on.  Injury, baby ...so many reason for a break.  Or just a break.

A calm email to them might clear your mind some.    :)

5 hours ago, Bee2205 said:

A geocacher with 3 finds picked up my one and only trackable over a year ago and hasn't moved it on.  Although I've made two attempts to contact them, I've been unsuccessful in getting a response :(.  What else can I possibly do...

Weyu.JPG

This thread has some good ideas. Some of my lost TBs have turned up after 18 months or more, and I get a surprise log. Then they vanish again.  -_-

Sometimes a new cacher already placed a TB into a cache, but didn't know how to log it -- and if another new cacher then picks it up, the log becomes even more complicated.

If I look at your TB page, how obvious will it be to me that there's a problem?  On some of mine, I edit the description (the Mission) and/or add a note log like "I haven't heard from this TB since [date].  If you see him, please tell him to write!"

If my TB becomes missing and in an unknown place, I may edit the TB page in several ways, and append "[MISSING]" to the TB name, so it's apparent in most any TB listing:  https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3317682

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Bee2205 said:

A geocacher with 3 finds picked up my one and only trackable over a year ago and hasn't moved it on.  Although I've made two attempts to contact them, I've been unsuccessful in getting a response :(.  What else can I possibly do...

Weyu.JPG

I've lost several travel bugs before they even moved one mile! Some were taken by first time geocachers. Nothing you can do. 

6 hours ago, Bee2205 said:

A geocacher with 3 finds picked up my one and only trackable over a year ago and hasn't moved it on.  Although I've made two attempts to contact them, I've been unsuccessful in getting a response :(What else can I possibly do...

Nothing really...  Once a trackable leaves your hands, all control is gone.

Similar to kunarion, when a trackable has at least moved to another cache and turns up "missing", I name it missing (fill in the TB name) on the trackable's page.

Anyone familiar with trackables knows the name doesn't mean they can't log it, and get it back into action.

Most lately (promotion trackables) never made it past the first cache I put 'em in.

I feel it's because of a free phone app that allows one to just load n go, and the fact that we're now called a "real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game" .

A new player either realizes that "treasure" isn't true, and takes a trackable as "payment", or (geocoins an example) think they are the treasure.

5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Nothing you can do.

I disagree. My preference (and what I do with my TB's) is to send out proxies to start with. Keep the original at home, send the proxy out and if (when!) it goes missing - resend a new one! I have one TB which I dropped into a cache, was moved one cache over by another traveler and then *poof* no more information. I added a note on that cache asking for finders to keep an eye out for it, and six people have logged that cache since, and none have acknowledged my comment. Though it's a fairly easy cache so I guess most people don't feel the need to read the logs.

I still have some uncirculated TB's, so once I've launched the last one, I'll probably use that as my cut-off to re-launch this one. It originally had a cheap laminated-paper tag, so that's probably a contributing factor. Next time I'll probably use an aluminium tag.

• Funny 1

Personally, I think Groundspeak should have make features to set trackables to premium users only and to set an expected due date for trackables to be moved otherwise the current keeper will get nudged multiple times. Sadly, both of my trackables are in the hands of one owner who is a basic member who has only found like a few geocaches and is a basic member. The other person is the same, but this member is a premium member. I decided that if trackables on my account are not moved or at least have a posted update in the logs for a year, I will mark it as missing. This might get the current person who has the trackable to move it along. So I understand your trouble. Those are just some thoughts and ideas I have for you and for Groundspeak to think about.

• Surprised 1
7 hours ago, Jamesdog05 said:

...I decided that if trackables on my account are not moved or at least have a posted update in the logs for a year, I will mark it as missing.

This might get the current person who has the trackable to move it along. 

It might finally wake the person up to realize they haven't had your trackable for months, and never took it off their inventory.  

Surprisingly, some people have had trackables turn up again years later.  "Just found it in-between my car seats..."

We haven't been that lucky...