Certitude?

Korichnovui

Can someone explain to me how certitude works?

Does it only accept coordinates or does it accept "other answers" too like keywords and such, and then it gives you the coordinates?  (I heard that such a thing might exist...)

I tried to log in to the certitude site and create my own certitude to see if it only accepts coordinate answers or if it accepts keyword or other weird stuff, but unfortunately the site won't recognize me. "unexpected error"  :/

• Upvote 1

According to their Questions page:

What does it take to create a puzzle solution?
First, a puzzle. Then, enter your geocaching name, the full GC waypoint (it's used to link back to the puzzle page), your time zone (used to display the correct time in the top solvers list), the puzzle name and its solution (either as coordinates or a single keyword). For coordinates, you can specify whether the solution has to be matched exactly or can be approximate within 30 feet. In the latter case, the solution entered by a solver is considered valid if it falls within this radius and it will be advertised as such. Additionally, you can enter an extra hint (e.g. locational hint or a clue to a next step) that will be displayed to solvers on the success page. It's up to you to encrypt it.

• Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

Does it only accept coordinates or does it accept "other answers" too like keywords and such, and then it gives you the coordinates?  (I heard that such a thing might exist...)

Certitude does accept keywords.

And with coords, it accepts 'exact' coords or 'fuzzy' coords (within 30 feet).

If the cacher enters the correct keyword, then the checker will show them final coords that you designate.

For any right answers (keywords or coords), then you can have the checker present a "bonus info" message. For example, parking coords or a hide hint.

If the cacher guesses a wrong answer, which you can designate with wildcard characters, then you have the option of having a hint shown to them in the checker.

• Helpful 1

Help!

So a puzzle of mine got published today, and it uses Certitude. This is my first time using it. When I set it up, everything seemed fine. But now people are trying it and it's giving them a message that they've exceeded their 2 guesses. Even if it was their first guess. I tried it myself on a computer at work, not logged in, and got the same message. Surely that can't be right?

16 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

Help!

So a puzzle of mine got published today, and it uses Certitude. This is my first time using it. When I set it up, everything seemed fine. But now people are trying it and it's giving them a message that they've exceeded their 2 guesses. Even if it was their first guess. I tried it myself on a computer at work, not logged in, and got the same message. Surely that can't be right?

That doesn't sound right! 

46 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

But now people are trying it and it's giving them a message that they've exceeded their 2 guesses. Even if it was their first guess. I tried it myself on a computer at work, not logged in, and got the same message. Surely that can't be right?

It is right. Many times my first try with Certitude does exacly the same because all non logged in users are considered to be a same single user with only two tries. When I wait for a while, I can sometimes manage to get my solution answered by the checker without logging in.

Edited by arisoft
18 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

It's fine when I'm logged in - allows me 10 tries in whatever the time limit is.

I can't remember - can you change the value for the number of tries or something when you set it up?

I don't appear to have the ability to change the number of tries allowed.

I've carefully re-reviewed the geocaching guidelines about requiring you to contact CO, requiring you to set up an account on a different website, etc. So using Certitude for keyword to get the coordinates is straying into the gray zone there.... But I guess it falls within guidelines because you don't *have* to log in to use it. You just get very limited use of it in 1 day (or no use if someone beat you to it)

3 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

But I guess it falls within guidelines because you don't *have* to log in

Normally it falls within guidelines just because it is a geochecker. Not needed at all to find the cache. If you need the coordinate output of keyword checker then it is a different thing but there is no guideline how fast a puzzle must be able to solve.

3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

There's a cache I've solved (the puzzle) but there is no way to get the coordinates without texting to a number.  I know from previous caches that once you do they have your phone number and know who you are. 

I wish there was a checker on the page instead. 

I'm not real knowledgeable on this topic but I was under the impression that there are apps that can scramble your real phone# so that people won't be able to detect it. Maybe you could look into that if you really want that cache....

I have a puzzle on Certitude where the solution is a word, not coordinates. GZ has been altered so I had to move the container and now I need to update the final coordinates in the checker. I can't figure out how to do this without clearing the stats and starting over. Is anyone familiar with this?

On 4/25/2019 at 10:37 AM, lulu499 said:

I have a puzzle on Certitude where the solution is a word, not coordinates. GZ has been altered so I had to move the container and now I need to update the final coordinates in the checker. I can't figure out how to do this without clearing the stats and starting over. Is anyone familiar with this?

Go to your Certitudes Dashboard and click on the GC-Code of your cache in the Waypoints column.

Then click on "Edit this solution" on the left side of the webpage.

Then update the coords in the "Final coordinates" section" and click on "create my certifiable solution".

That is the way to update the coords for keyword puzzles.  I'm pretty sure the stats will remain unchanged, although no guarantees.

I placed a Certitude checker on my site and when looking at the enter coords box, it shows the corrected cords, even before I enter them.  I even used another login, family member and it shows the exact coords.  Is there something that I might have done wrong? Can’t find any help info. I’ve used an iPhone and Mac computer.

3 hours ago, gjhimages said:

I placed a Certitude checker on my site and when looking at the enter coords box, it shows the corrected cords, even before I enter them.  I even used another login, family member and it shows the exact coords.  Is there something that I might have done wrong? Can’t find any help info. I’ve used an iPhone and Mac computer.

Try another browser, it's probably just your browser filling in a known field.

8 hours ago, gjhimages said:

Are you placing it on a website or on an unpublished cache page? If it's a website, feel free to send me the URL and I'll see if I can work out if there's an issue or not.

I can't replicate the behaviour that you're experiencing. It would be worth making sure you clear any page caches before doing anything else - in Safari you go Cmd+Alt+E to do that.

On 8/22/2018 at 4:12 PM, Korichnovui said:

Can someone explain to me how certitude works?

I tried to log in to the certitude site and create my own certitude to see if it only accepts coordinate answers or if it accepts keyword or other weird stuff, but unfortunately the site won't recognize me. "unexpected error"  :/

You can make a practice puzzlε. Go To geocaching.com/play/hideacache  and choose mystery cache. Pick random posted coordinates, pick random REAL COORDINATES, (the real coords MUST be within 2 miles of the posted ones) then create the page. Make the puzzle in the description, go to the certitude homepage, enter in the GC Code, make a puzzle answer, you CAN choose weather you want a keyword or coords:smile:and there you have it.