Finding Archived caches

On the official app, no.

On the website, yes.

On the website, you can enter the GC Code of the cache in the Search bar, then select to view that GC Code:

image.png.4f556b45e0ccc36e77a6aece97f89bb0.png

Or just go directly to the cache's page by using the coord.info URL:   https://coord.info/GCxxxx

If you don't know the GC Code, then you'd need to find a link to the archived cache from a list of someone's finds/hides in their profiles and click on the cache from there.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
12 hours ago, noncentric said:

If you don't know the GC Code, then you'd need to find a link to the archived cache from a list of someone's finds/hides in their profiles and click on the cache from there.

Or use project-GC, which can pull up archived caches for an area.  (This may be a paying members feature - I can't remember off the top of my head.)

Edited by hzoi
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, hzoi said:

Or use project-GC, which can pull up archived caches for an area.  (This may be a paying members feature - I can't remember off the top of my head.)

I used to be able to do this as a non-paying member using the map-compare tool, which was cool. I found the info helpful especially if I was thinking about hiding a geocache in a location, but was wondering why smoeone hadn't already used the amazing spot I had found. Often, finding an old archived cache in the lcoation and then reading through its history would let me know of potential issues for a location.

For the last year or so, I haven't been able to do this, so maybe the feature got moved behind the pay-wall. If someone could confirm this, I'd like to know.

2 hours ago, Fugads said:

I used to be able to do this as a non-paying member using the map-compare tool, which was cool. I found the info helpful especially if I was thinking about hiding a geocache in a location, but was wondering why smoeone hadn't already used the amazing spot I had found. Often, finding an old archived cache in the lcoation and then reading through its history would let me know of potential issues for a location.

For the last year or so, I haven't been able to do this, so maybe the feature got moved behind the pay-wall. If someone could confirm this, I'd like to know.

It works just fine on map compare for me - although you can't filter out active caches. You can add a filter to add in archived and/or disabled caches - it's just one of the standard map compare features.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

It works just fine on map compare for me - although you can't filter out active caches. You can add a filter to add in archived and/or disabled caches - it's just one of the standard map compare features.

Well what do you know... there's the filter! I missed the pull-down menu with that option a while back. Maybe the site changed its layout once upon a time and I lost the tool. Glad to have it brought back to my attention, I really like using it.

3 hours ago, Fugads said:

Well what do you know... there's the filter! I missed the pull-down menu with that option a while back. Maybe the site changed its layout once upon a time and I lost the tool. Glad to have it brought back to my attention, I really like using it.

No worries. It's an incredibly helpful thing to be able to do - I'll do it any time I'm thinking about a cache in an area.

• Upvote 1

I just got an email that one of my trackables is in a cache that was just archived.  It doesn't give the GC code, just a link to the name, but the link only goes to Error 404.  The cache doesn't show up in the Found caches for the person who dropped it there, or in the trackable's map.    The log states that the cache is in Nevada, 150 miles from the trackable's  previous location.  The cache name is 1011.  What gives?

Edited by NanCycle
Clarification
27 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

I just got an email that one of my trackables is in a cache that was just archived.  It doesn't give the GC code, just a link to the name, but the link only goes to Error 404.  The cache doesn't show up in the Found caches for the person who dropped it there, or in the trackable's map.    The log states that it is in Nevada, 150 miles from its previous location.  The cache name is 1011.  What gives?

That sounds like the cache was unpublished, so it no longer 'exists' on the site.  Bummer.  I hope the trackable returns.

• Upvote 1

NanCycle, your trackable was placed in a cache that wasn't published because it was less than 400 feet from another cache.  When the owner did not respond to the reviewer for a month, the reviewer archived the inactive cache page.

I suggest writing politely to the geocacher who dropped off your trackable in the ill-fated cache.  The owner lives very close to the cache (less than five miles), so you may be able to persuade them to return to the site, retrieve the cache, and move your trackable into a different cache.

• Helpful 5
13 hours ago, Keystone said:

NanCycle, your trackable was placed in a cache that wasn't published because it was less than 400 feet from another cache.  When the owner did not respond to the reviewer for a month, the reviewer archived the inactive cache page.

I suggest writing politely to the geocacher who dropped off your trackable in the ill-fated cache.  The owner lives very close to the cache (less than five miles), so you may be able to persuade them to return to the site, retrieve the cache, and move your trackable into a different cache.

Thank you. I'll try that. 

On 9/21/2019 at 2:56 AM, Keystone said:

The owner lives very close to the cache (less than five miles), so you may be able to persuade them to return to the site, retrieve the cache, and move your trackable into a different cache.

???

The owner HAS to go back to the side and collect the cache if it is not listed anywhere. It's trash at the moment, trash that this person put in the woods (or whereever). Hopefully the archiving log told him to do so.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, frostengel said:

The owner HAS to go back to the side and collect the cache if it is not listed anywhere. It's trash at the moment, trash that this person put in the woods (or whereever). Hopefully the archiving log told him to do so.

Is someone holding a gun to their head, making them go back to pick up the archived container? No. So they don't HAVE TO go back and get it. They should, of course. But there is no mind control or compulsion that is making them do it. Hence the need sometimes for persuasion. :)

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

Is someone holding a gun to their head, making them go back to pick up the archived container? No. So they don't HAVE TO go back and get it. They should, of course. But there is no mind control or compulsion that is making them do it. Hence the need sometimes for persuasion. :)

Even with a gun on thir head they don't have to... :-)

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=38&pgid=56

If you archive a physical cache, remove the container from its hiding spot as soon as possible.

And I think, local laws have to say something about littering either.

I don't know if "have to" is the right word (probably not, you are right) but I'll stick to it: it is an abolute no-go to leave a box behind after archival (as to leave any trash behind outside).

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, frostengel said:

I don't know if "have to" is the right word (probably not, you are right) but I'll stick to it: it is an abolute no-go to leave a box behind after archival (as to leave any trash behind outside).

Sometimes it's just not possible to retrieve the archived cache. This one of mine, where the cache is tucked in under the right-hand block where the arrow's pointing, was buried under a rockfall.

Rockfall.jpg.b7b1ef5c5d1558b5f8ece59adabf5536.jpg

• Surprised 1
On 9/22/2019 at 2:34 PM, barefootjeff said:

Sometimes it's just not possible to retrieve the archived cache. This one of mine, where the cache is tucked in under the right-hand block where the arrow's pointing, was buried under a rockfall.

Rockfall.jpg.b7b1ef5c5d1558b5f8ece59adabf5536.jpg

Of course, I can't see the surrounding area and don't know the scale of the picture, but it seems pretty basic to move the rock away to get to the cache.

18 minutes ago, Corfman Clan said:

Of course, I can't see the surrounding area and don't know the scale of the picture, but it seems pretty basic to move the rock away to get to the cache.

I've Photoshopped myself into the before photo to give you a rough sense of the scale. The pile of rubble now burying the cache would be about a metre deep and many of the larger pieces are too heavy to lift. I did try to start digging down but quickly realised it would be a forlorn effort.

image.png.1efab0303fbb6a90d1233e1f88b523b1.png

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

I've Photoshopped myself into the before photo to give you a rough sense of the scale. The pile of rubble now burying the cache would be about a metre deep and many of the larger pieces are too heavy to lift. I did try to start digging down but quickly realised it would be a forlorn effort.

image.png.1efab0303fbb6a90d1233e1f88b523b1.png

Can't you get a digger in there?  Helicopter?  You give up too easily BFJ... :lol:

• Funny 2