[BUG] "Navigate to a geocache" not working anymore on non-english smartphone

@rthur

Hi HQ team!

Since last Friday, we are getting more and more feedbacks on the French geocaching group on Facebook about the "Navigate to a geocache" feature that is not working anymore on Android.

Symptoms:

When we press the car icon on a cache listing [IMG1], Google Maps is launched but display an error message "No result for 49,4199,0,2257" [IMG2]

If we replace the first and the third commas by dots, it works.

I think that it's because you made a change in the latest Android version to use the decimal separator setup by the language phone settings.

But as a result, the coordinates with commas are not recognized anymore by Google Maps.

How to reproduce the issue:

1) Go to Android settings > System Settings > Language & input > Language > Add language

2) Add French (or German or Spanish...) and set it by default

3) Launch Geocaching app and go to a cache details page

4) Click on the car icon

5) Google Maps is launched but display an error "No result for X,x,Y,y"

Expected result:

=> Google Maps navigation should tell the directions to the PZ

I tried several languages on my phone to help resolving this issue, it works well in English but it is broken when you use a non-English language (tested and broken in French, German and Spanish at least...)

According to Wikipedia, all the green and red countries on the following map should have the bug (about half of the world ;-) ) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator#/media/File:DecimalSeparator.svg

Product: Geocaching official app

Platform: Android

Version: v6.9.0 released last Friday (17/08/2018)

Reproducibility: yes, always

Bug confirmed on: Samsung Galaxy S8 (with android 8.0.0), Huawei P20 and more...

Attached files: 1) the button to launch "Navigate to a geocache" 2) the Google Maps error with the "comma" problem 3) About page

I hope it can be fixed soon.

Do not hesitate to ask me if you need more information or to test anything.

1-navigate-to-a-geocache.jpg

2-bad-coordinates-in-google-maps.jpg

3-app-version.jpg

Bug reported also in the Google Play Store by user "shika maru" (in French)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Groundspeak.geocaching.intro&hl=fr&reviewId=gp%3AAOqpTOEZ0f6a8Elz2M33-Nz5ZHiye_W8Jsxr27ig3Kq28_hf8sfrr7J0M3fwi8xyXU-s8os6gVkhMlN59ghqxw

Big problem since the last update a lot of difficulties to save maps offline moreover it is no longer possible to make a trip using google map.... Thank you for rectifying this as soon as possible otherwise I would go back to [another app]

2 hours ago, @rthur said:

Hi HQ team!

Since last Friday, we are getting more and more feedbacks on the French geocaching group on Facebook about the "Navigate to a geocache" feature that is not working anymore on Android.

Symptoms:

When we press the car icon on a cache listing [IMG1], Google Maps is launched but display an error message "No result for 49,4199,0,2257" [IMG2]

If we replace the first and the third commas by dots, it works.

I think that it's because you made a change in the latest Android version to use the decimal separator setup by the language phone settings.

But as a result, the coordinates with commas are not recognized anymore by Google Maps.

How to reproduce the issue:

1) Go to Android settings > System Settings > Language & input > Language > Add language

2) Add French (or German or Spanish...) and set it by default

3) Launch Geocaching app and go to a cache details page

4) Click on the car icon

5) Google Maps is launched but display an error "No result for X,x,Y,y"

Expected result:

=> Google Maps navigation should tell the directions to the PZ

I tried several languages on my phone to help resolving this issue, it works well in English but it is broken when you use a non-English language (tested and broken in French, German and Spanish at least...)

According to Wikipedia, all the green and red countries on the following map should have the bug (about half of the world ;-) ) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator#/media/File:DecimalSeparator.svg

Product: Geocaching official app

Platform: Android

Version: v6.9.0 released last Friday (17/08/2018)

Reproducibility: yes, always

Bug confirmed on: Samsung Galaxy S8 (with android 8.0.0), Huawei P20 and more...

Attached files: 1) the button to launch "Navigate to a geocache" 2) the Google Maps error with the "comma" problem 3) About page

I hope it can be fixed soon.

Do not hesitate to ask me if you need more information or to test anything.

1-navigate-to-a-geocache.jpg

2-bad-coordinates-in-google-maps.jpg

3-app-version.jpg

Thank you for the super-thorough big report. I’m sorry this problem is happening for you. We will investigate and get a fix out. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, @rthur said:

Hi HQ team!

5 hours ago, Team lydia68320 said:

+1 the same problem with Samsung s7 edge 

5 hours ago, seb7275 said:

+1 same bug on my phone Huawei P20

5 hours ago, jy09 said:

bonjour,

même problème  samsung S8..

Thanks again for the reports, everyone. We just pushed a 6.9.1 update to the Play Store with a fix for this bug. It may take a little time to be available to everyone. If you can't see the update immediately, please check back later today.

5 hours ago, Ben H said:

Thanks again for the reports, everyone. We just pushed a 6.9.1 update to the Play Store with a fix for this bug. It may take a little time to be available to everyone. If you can't see the update immediately, please check back later today.

Wow ! Thanks for the reactivity !

I just did the test and I confirmed it is working fine now, :) thank you !!!