Lost Log

I went to do some cache maintenance tonight, and I cannot find one of my hides.  After the recent weather, and the washout in the area of the hide I am not that surprised.  Do any of you make any attempt to preserve the original paper log?  Would you print the one of the cache page and leave or just start fresh?

3 minutes ago, StumblinMonk said:

I went to do some cache maintenance tonight, and I cannot find one of my hides.  After the recent weather, and the washout in the area of the hide I am not that surprised.  Do any of you make any attempt to preserve the original paper log?  Would you print the one of the cache page and leave or just start fresh?

Start fresh. I've never seen a replacement log include the online entries.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, MNTA said:

You may want to move it to higher ground so to speak if the area supports it.

It is fairly high to begin with.  We have been washed out the last month with a ton of rain.  It is being replaced with an ammo can, so I hope it will not disappear as easily.

Thank you all for the input.  

To throw out a contrary opinion to most of the previous responses: I have seen folks fill in previous finders on a replacement logsheet where the cache is one that requires special effort to find. High D/T ratings, tough puzzle that kind of thing. In these cases, the logsheet becomes a list of the "elite" who went through the effort to find this crazy cache, and I do not fault COs for wanting to maintain the physical list. As a finder of some of these, I appreciate this gesture by the CO, it makes me smile. But it is a pretty silly gesture when you think about it.

So I'd say, if you want to have the replacement log show all the previous finders, go for it.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:30 PM, GrateBear said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one who could not find their own cache!  Has happened to me twice, so just archived them.  I even looked a few times for both, but no luck.

Hi. Instead of archiving why would you not just put a new container in the missing cache spot since it's your cache?

Did you get tired of missing containers or something? 

On 8/21/2018 at 10:07 AM, Fugads said:

To throw out a contrary opinion to most of the previous responses: I have seen folks fill in previous finders on a replacement logsheet where the cache is one that requires special effort to find. High D/T ratings, tough puzzle that kind of thing. In these cases, the logsheet becomes a list of the "elite" who went through the effort to find this crazy cache, and I do not fault COs for wanting to maintain the physical list. As a finder of some of these, I appreciate this gesture by the CO, it makes me smile. But it is a pretty silly gesture when you think about it.

So I'd say, if you want to have the replacement log show all the previous finders, go for it.

This is kind of what I was thinking, but my cache is not one that fits this model.  This one is a very simple, off trail cache.  

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, StumblinMonk said:

It is fairly high to begin with.  We have been washed out the last month with a ton of rain.  It is being replaced with an ammo can, so I hope it will not disappear as easily.

Thank you all for the input.  

I've been in the habit of tethering just about all our hides, even those in dry areas. Trotline string isn't too conspicuous, is easy too work with, and lasts a long time. I have caches placed along a bayou that go under water from time to time and rarely have problems with them going anywhere. 

Edited by Mudfrog
mispelling