Geocaching.com Android App

wally_k

I have PQ loaded for of-line use. How do I add a new cache to that? I'm online, a new cache shows up among all the other caches on the map. I select that cache and in the menu select Add Cache to LIst. On the next screen all my lists show up, but the active one! What gives?

thanks for any help.

4 minutes ago, wally_k said:

I have PQ loaded for of-line use. How do I add a new cache to that? I'm online, a new cache shows up among all the other caches on the map. I select that cache and in the menu select Add Cache to LIst. On the next screen all my lists show up, but the active one! What gives?

thanks for any help.

PQ and Lists are different things... the new cache must show separately in the app.

Just now, wally_k said:

.. the new cache must show separately in the app.

Does that mean that I can't have the list loaded ithat I want to add the cache to?

The new cache that you saved for offline use, will show inside any List that you already have... if you save it there. It will not appear in a prior Pocket Query.

1 hour ago, K13 said:

If this question were posed in the Geocaching® Android App forum, there would be more of a chance to get an answer for your issue.

That forum is for bug reports and feature discussions.

This forum is for "How do I ...?" questions, which I think is more appropriate for the OP.

9 hours ago, wally_k said:

To add a new cache to a PQ, you have to run the PQ again, and then download the PQ again.

I think you can also save the new cache for offline use separately, without adding it to the PQ, but I haven't used Groundspeak's app much. And honestly, I think the whole "save for offline use" mechanism is clunky and poorly designed, which is part of why I've mostly been using third-party apps instead.

8 minutes ago, niraD said:

That forum is for bug reports and feature discussions.

This forum is for "How do I ...?" questions, which I think is more appropriate for the OP.

To add a new cache to a PQ, you have to run the PQ again, and then download the PQ again.

I think you can also save the new cache for offline use separately, without adding it to the PQ, but I haven't used Groundspeak's app much. And honestly, I think the whole "save for offline use" mechanism is clunky and poorly designed, which is part of why I've mostly been using third-party apps instead.

When I run a PQ it  updates automatically  in the app.  I think.

When looking at "Lists" in the official app, then both PQ's and Bookmark Lists will be shown.  But with PQ's, they'll only show if they have been run in the past week.  The PQ's will have "Last Generated: mm/dd/yy" above the name, while Bookmark Lists have "Last Modified: mm/dd/yy" above the name.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:17 AM, wally_k said:

That's just it. I don't see my active list when I wan to a cache to it, even though I see it when in the menu under lists.

When you do "Add to List" in the app, then you can only add caches to Bookmark Lists. You cannot add a cache to a PQ.

If you have already downloaded a PQ for offline use, then you can still download other PQs/Lists for offline use as well.  You can have multiple PQs/Lists downloaded for offline use.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:08 PM, niraD said:
On 8/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, Max and 99 said:

When I run a PQ it  updates automatically  in the app.  I think.

But does it automatically save the update for offline use? Or when you go offline, do you see whatever version of the PQ was last saved for offline use?

If a PQ is run after it has been downloaded for offline use, then the app will not automatically download the refreshed PQ results.  The user has to initiate the download in order to get cache info stored into the phone.

For example, if I run a PQ and get 50 caches, then download the PQ for offline use, then those 50 caches will be available offline.  If I re-run the PQ later and it now results in 57 caches, then the app will still only have the 50 caches. Even when online, the PQ/list will show "57" but if selected only the downloaded 50 will be there. The extra 7 will not be available for offline use in the app unless the PQ is "downloaded for offline use" again and won't be available for online use until the offline data is deleted for that list.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1