Translation

Clive1717

On 8/18/2018 at 4:56 AM, Clive1717 said:

As I am in the Czech Republic all the caches are naturally in the Czech language. As my native language is English I need to translate the Activities, Hints etc. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks

Cut and paste to Google translate will do it.  Perhaps someone else can suggest an in-app option, but I'm not familiar with one.

I'm in the same boat, just a little to the west - I live in Germany, but I'm not a native speaker.  There are some work-arounds I've used.  You haven't mentioned what you use to geocache - phone or just GPSr, so I'll give a few options.  I use GPSr to find and (usually) cell phone to log. 

If you are a mobile phone user, you can use Chrome to view the cache description, which you can set to translate pages.

You can also use the Google Translate app.  I have mine set up so it can translate German, even offline - it was a 30 MB or so download that I did on wifi.  I use a Garmin Montana but don't even bother translating the descriptions ahead of time - the Google Translate app can work through the camera on your phone, so I can just hold up the GPSr screen to my phone and see the text in English.

If you're a GSAK user, there is a translate macro.  You can translate cache descriptions and then export directly to your GPSr.  (I have not used this myself, but I know it's available.)

All in all, I find it much easier to translate cache descriptions now than the last time I was caching in Europe (2007-2009).  Back then, I'd often just set a list of caches I wanted to find, translate the cache descriptions ahead of time, then type up the bare minimum cache description I could, paste into one big Microsoft Word document, and print the page to take with me.  Much easier now!