Staying centered while zooming in issue

dbrents

I recently bought a Garmin 64s which, so far, has been a great step-up over my eTrex Legend - older eyes benefit from the nicer screen - for one. My problem, and I'll admit it may be due to my not being familiar with this new unit, is when I zoom in, what was in the center of the screen moves off to one side and mostly such that I don't know where it is. And the direction it moves appears to be random. If I'm zoomed at 0.5 miles I will eventually want to get to 20 ft. But I find I spend more time trying to relocate my present location and cache location than I do moving toward the cache.

Is this to be expected or do I have a set-up issue?

I took a quick look at my 64 but can't reproduce what you are seeing. It appears that Zoom keeps the cursor in the center of the screen, so if the cursor is off center then the first Zoom step will move the map to recenter on the cursor. After that I see no change to map center going from min to max Zoom levels. 

Thanks Geo Climber,

I contacted Garmin. What I learned was in order for the zoom to stay centered you must be in Live Maps mode. If you're looking at a different map then it won't stay centered. I'm not sure now what Live Maps is or how to be assured I'm in Live Maps because I was, apparently, not in Live Maps over the past few days. If you can shed some light on Live and 'Dead' maps I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

When you zoom on the 64 series, it sets the center point of the zoom to wherever the cursor is. So if your arrow cursor is on the edge of the screen or in the corner, that will become the center of your view if you zoom in or out. To keep the screen centered on your current view, move your cursor to the center of the screen before you hit the zoom buttons. 

Thanks JohnCNA!  This make perfect sense. I was having the same trouble today and was trying to figure out if I was in Live Maps  or Dead Maps.   Often times I drive the cursor to one side or the other to center my target so it makes perfect sense that the cursor is not in the center of the screen. I am now wondering what the guy from Garmin was even talking about. I'll send them an email and let you know what I get back. Thanks again!