Coordinates of two newly published caches clash

Team Christiansen

How did this happen?

I have a new 3-stage teamwork multi-cache that published on August 1. Stage 1 is a virtual solved with a puzzle. Stage 2 is a rust-painted magnetic Altoids tin with information for cachers to use in another state to find a cache in their state. Stage 3 is the final with a physical container found by information obtained by cachers in the other state. Two and a half weeks later (today), a new traditional cache is published. I was greatly surprised when I looked on a map, that it was in the same area as my stage 2.

I know that whenever I create a cache and type in coordinates that are in the proximity limit of another cache, I get a warning that it is not permissible. Even though a number of cachers have found my cache, to include the stage 2, I thought I would go in and look at the guts of mine. This is what I see:

Warning.JPG.7e28c4c820f2e3a493d189f16c285e8c.JPG

That red-lettered warning language is there. Worse yet, it is only 55 feet away. Mine on one side of the street, the new one on the other. I also see this:

map.JPG.dfb413513a0f3ac76f4e2dfa46a8007b.JPG

showing that my Stage 2 (numbered "01" because it is the first physical stage) is smack dab in the middle of the other cache's proximity. The problem that this can cause is other cachers looking for the trad might very well find mine and tamper with the info needed to complete my multi cache, perhaps even signing it as a log.

How did the website allow the new cache owner to place this?

1 hour ago, Team Christiansen said:

How did the website allow the new cache owner to place this?

I just tested. The website shows a warning if you create a cache listing that's too close to another physical cache or stage (similar to what's in your screenshot), but it doesn't stop you from doing so or saving the changes. I don't want to do this next part now, but I assume it will also allow you to submit it for review. At that point, it's up to the reviewer to catch the issue. As Keystone always points out, some reviewers are dogs, so it's understandable that they may sometimes make a mistake and miss the proximity issue.

• Upvote 1

If you create bogus coords just to write up the page, then edit the coords later for the spot you found, you won't get a warning on the edited coords. It's now in the reviewers hands to check proximity.

Same thing happens in Waymarking, although I can check those myself. 

It seems to be just a mistake in the reviewer's part. It happens. 

Edited by Max and 99

Your stage 2 coordinates are correctly entered in the database as a hidden physical additional waypoint, and that waypoint hasn't been edited since publication.  It appears to be human error* and hopefully the reviewer will archive the other cache in light of the close distance.  If it was 480 feet away, the best course would be to let it slide.

*Many reviewers are dogs.