Favorite caches?

Guest thibaug

Guest thibaug

Here's the plan: a 2-3 week geocaching road trip! icon_biggrin.gif We have some destinations and places we want to visit in mind but other than that, we plan to hit as many caches as we can on the way. I need help! There are way too many caches to look at, so I'd like to find out which caches are the better ones. I have a page Here that has a map of our general route. If you have any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Guest fractal

Cool.. I see my Contact cache is on your list icon_smile.gif

Another that I would reccomend for the Portland-ish area would be Raiders of the Lost Cache. It's an easy one, but it's cool... Can only be done just after sunset, though...

Also, Council Crest Cache is another easy one, but offers great views on clear days.

Oregone History Lesson #1 offers a good place to eat, and a nice little hike as well.

And finally, the Carto Cache will take you to an interesting and historical spot in Oregon.

There are many other great caches around here, but I can only speek for the one's I've been to. I'm sure others will be posting their suggestions soon.

Oh.. and when you hit Las Vegas, be sure you check out the Blue Man Group show at the Luxor hotel. The way I think about music and art has changed ever since I saw them.

Have a great trip!

-fractal

Guest Moun10Bike

k/cache_details.asp?ID=4716" TARGET=_blank>Light House Point. See the logs for a description of going up the long ladder from the beach to the point on which the cache is hidden!

Another absolutely gorgeous spot is Ebey Bluffs. If it is a clear day, you will be in awe. Colonel Ebey's Time Capsule is located nearby, too, so you can pick up two caches on that single stop (just be sure that you have the correct coordinates for the Time Capsule before you arrive -- this is one of EraSeek's "local noon" caches, so you have to calculate the longitude).

There are many, many other awesome caches along your route past Puget Sound, but these are some of the ones that stick out most in my mind along that corridor. Let me know if you change your plans and end up swinging through northern Idaho -- I can point you to some nice caches in stunning scenery there! icon_wink.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 07 February 2002).]

Guest Moun10Bike

There are some great ones along the route you have laid out through Washington!

A very interesting stop that is just off I-5 south of the border is Geology Geocache #1: Fossil Find. You get to view some interesting roadside fossils as well as log a cache.

One can't-miss one a little farther south is Light House Point. See the logs for a description of going up the long ladder from the beach to the point on which the cache is hidden!

Another absolutely gorgeous spot is Ebey Bluffs. If it is a clear day, you will be in awe. Colonel Ebey's Time Capsule is located nearby, too, so you can pick up two caches on that single stop (just be sure that you have the correct coordinates for the Time Capsule before you arrive -- this is one of EraSeek's "local noon" caches, so you have to calculate the longitude).

There are many, many other awesome caches along your route past Puget Sound, but these are some of the ones that stick out most in my mind along that corridor. Let me know if you change your plans and end up swinging through northern Idaho -- I can point you to some nice caches in stunning scenery there! icon_wink.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 07 February 2002).]

Guest whidbeywalk

Oh boy, you?re going to get a bunch of responses. So let me get my 2 cents in early.

A plug for my own cache first:

Light House Point

Provides a unique view of one of Washington?s most visited sites. It does require timing the tide and a ladder climb that may discourage some. Or?.

Welcome to Whidbey Island

Located at Deception Pass bridge. If you don?t want to attempt Light House Point, you can still catch this spot in the more traditional tourist way.

My main caching grounds are north of Seattle to the Canadian boarder. In that area, my 2 favorite caches are:

Falls Cache

A multi-cache in a nice park highlighted by a view of Whatcom Falls and a fish hatchery. Should take 1-2 hours depending on your speed.

Whatcom Railway

Nice easy walk along a beautiful lake.

One final recommendation, if you want to get off the freeway and take a wonderfully scenic drive along the shores of Puget Sound and see views the San Juan Islands, then I would also suggest adding:

Geology Geocache #1: Fossil Find

Neat cache, located along Chuckanut Drive, Washington SR-11, between Bellingham and Mt. Vernon.

Have a great trip. I?m jealous. Hope this post is readable now. This UBB stuff in new to me.

Guest whidbeywalk

Moun10Bike, we are thinking alike, and I would second the Ebey Bluffs. In fact thibaug, a drive the length of Whidbey Island would take you past these fine caches, include a short ferry ride, and beats I-5 any day.

[This message has been edited by whidbeywalk (edited 07 February 2002).]

Guest DenaliNW

I see you are already planning on visiting The Contact Cache (hopefully you've solved the puzzle already icon_wink.gif), as this is memorable because of all the time that Fractal has put into it. I'll throw in a few more around the Portland area (though I think all of Fractal's choices are great).

You might want to try Blownads, as it is a good little two stage cache that is kind of fun.

Wild Mansion will put you up near Pittock Mansion, in the hills above downtown Portland - cool place with some great views.

And if you are in Portland for more than just a layover - you might want to take a day trip out into the Columbia River Gorge which is an absolutely beautiful area with lots of waterfalls, and great panoramas. Lots of good caches too, like:

Sturgeon Fishing (had to plug one of my own, but has some neat sites and some good history).

Big View puts you up on a mountain above the gorge, with fabulous views of Mt. Hood, Mt St. Helens, Mt. Adams and Mt. Jefferson.

Horse Tail Falls is relatively easy walk near one of the many falls along the Oregon side of the gorge (don't miss seeing Multnomah Falls).

Guest oregone

h and is definitely worth it. Afterwards, Coast Fork Cache is a more tame hike. You could get both of them in less than two hours (from the time you leave I5 to the time you get back on).

Guest oregone

I see that you're going through Eugene. My favorite caches there are within a mile or so of each other. Swinger's Cache is straight up Mt. Pisgah and is definitely worth it. Afterwards, Coast Fork Cache is a more tame hike. You could get both of them in less than two hours (from the time you leave I5 to the time you get back on).

Guest RedwoodRed

take the 101 instead (the road is immaculate through Oregon and it is a nice drive from Crescent City back to Southern Oregon and to the I-5 with lots of caches along the way!), type in 95531 and let us know that you will be coming... We'd love to take you to lunch if you have the time.

RedwoodRed and Steak N Eggs

Guest RedwoodRed

Steak and I are planning a caching trip up the Oregon coast, so this thread is helpful to us as well!

But if you do decide to take the 101 instead (the road is immaculate through Oregon and it is a nice drive from Crescent City back to Southern Oregon and to the I-5 with lots of caches along the way!), type in 95531 and let us know that you will be coming... We'd love to take you to lunch if you have the time.

RedwoodRed and Steak N Eggs

Guest logscaler

Well, if you get tired of the WET side, you could come on over to the DRY side, also better looking side. If you really want to drive down thru the rain clouds and fog and manic drivers, You should stop off at the

"Umpqua Gold" by KlubDuo (GCC7F)" cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3199

It is just off the road a bit.

Now, If you do end up over on the DRY side, I could point you at several caches that would make you work just a touch. Might slow your trip down though. Whichever way you go, as long as your Geocaching, you can not go wrong.

------------------

Remember, character is what you do when no one is watching. TTFN, logscaler

Guest RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

of course, if you're looking for a geocaching mecca (besides utah) then you should check out Klamath Falls, Oregon.

No kidding! We live about two hours out of KF (at the other end of that River!), and most of what is listed within 100-150 miles is in the Klamath Falls, Medford and Granties Panties areas. It's enough to make a person want to brave the falling rocks, precipitous narrow curves and beautiful scenery of the Highway 199.

Specially since we've exhausted most all of the caches here on the "Wet" side.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

Guest thibaug

Regarding the Wet vs. Dry side of Oregon... I've been to Oregon a few times: a few trips to Smith Rock and another time on Hwy 97 as part of a rock-climbing road trip to California and then heading back through on I-5. I'm looking forward to the Oregon coast this time even though the map has us heading back on I-5. We also have a few friends in Portland so we'll most likely end up there for a few days... So... We'll most likely stick with the wet side for this trip. Besides, after living in Seattle for 5 years, I'm looking forward to some wet weather. It never rains here!!! I've walked to work for most of the last 2 years and I've gotten rained on once! icon_smile.gif

Guest thibaug

Yet another thought. (Is it obvious I'm trying to get my post count up? icon_wink.gif)

Thanks to everyone who have posted so far! icon_biggrin.gif. Keep 'em coming! icon_smile.gif All this planning is almost as much fun as I hope the trip will be!

Guest oregone

"Granties Panties" is my new stolen term for the kick-*** southern Oregon town of Grants Pass, home of the Boatnik festival and several promising start-up brewpubs. It was named around the time Ulysses S. Grant was a general in the civil war. Shortly after the Northern army captured Vicksburg, some road crews were working on the road just north of the town where I-5 is now, and the town and the pass were named in his honor.

it's easy to just stop for gas and leave town, but if you get a chance, explore downtown. grants pass is in a weird transitional phase right now: old town is still torn between being forgotten and being trendy, and it's always interesting to see a city that isn't sure if it wants to become a mini los angeles or a mini portland.

Guest RedwoodRed

nik festival and several promising start-up brewpubs

Haha! I have been hearing the name "Grants Pants" for Grants Pass for many years. Thought it was common knowledge. Folks who live in Brookings/Gold Beach call G.P. "The Valley", which is weird for me, having moved here from So. California where "The Valley" means San Fernando.

Thibaug, I'm glad to see that you've chosen the "Wet Side". We have just placed two new caches, of which one, Mercy Flight Memorial, along the coast highway that is at a nice place to stop and is a 1/1.5 rating. We planned on placing a second one close by that, but it would take a little bit more exploring on not-so-well-known roads. Rain yesterday kept us from hiding it, but it might be clearing up (*looks outside - grins*).

And just so those on the list know, we are planning to leave for our Oregon Coast Geocaching Expedition this coming Friday. We'll be stopping in Newport the first night and heading up to Hillsboro/Portland from there. Anyone in Hillsboro know of a nice, clean and inexpensive (relatively) motel or inn in that area? I could go to AAA and ask, but would rather ask folks familiar with that area. We plan on spending a few days, heading back Monday afternoon.

I'm waiting for lists of more cool caches to hit my email box right quick!

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

Guest RedwoodRed

planned on placing a second one close by that, but it would take a little bit more exploring on not-so-well-known roads. Rain yesterday kept us from hiding it, but it might be clearing up (*looks outside - grins*).

And just so those on the list know, we are planning to leave for our Oregon Coast Geocaching Expedition this coming Friday. We'll be stopping in Newport the first night and heading up to Hillsboro/Portland from there. Anyone in Hillsboro know of a nice, clean and inexpensive (relatively) motel or inn in that area? I could go to AAA and ask, but would rather ask folks familiar with that area. We plan on spending a few days, heading back Monday afternoon.

I'm waiting for lists of more cool caches to hit my email box right quick!

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

Guest fractal

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

... And just so those on the list know, we are planning to leave for our Oregon Coast Geocaching Expedition this coming Friday. We'll be stopping in Newport the first night and heading up to Hillsboro/Portland from there. Anyone in Hillsboro know of a nice, clean and inexpensive (relatively) motel or inn in that area? ...

Finally coming up here? Cool!

I've lived in Hillsboro all my life, but have never stayed in a hotel here.. Which makes sense.. I guess? heheh

Here's some that LOOK decent, but I couldn't tell you about their price:

Westcoast Hillsboro Hotel

3500 NE Cornell Rd

Hillsboro, OR 97124

(503) 648-3500

Wingate Inn Hillsboro

5900 NE Ray Cir

Hillsboro, OR 97124

(503) 844-9696

Candlewood Suites

3133 NE Shute Rd

Hillsboro, OR 97124

(503) 681-2121

Hope this short list helps... If you are in Hillsboro on Saturday evening, I'll take you folks to the best pizza on the Earth... Pizza Schmizza icon_wink.gif

Contact me when your plans are all set icon_smile.gif

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

Granties Panies?

I lived in G.P. for about 6 years, and have NEVER heard that term. I have heard many others. The Boatnik festival is fun. I spent my formative years in this town. That pretty much explains my weirdness. icon_smile.gif

Guest RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

Finally coming up here? Cool!

Okay...

We have reservations for Saturday and possibly Sunday at the Wellesley Inn in Hillsboro.

I have printed out most of the Oregon History Lessons, Raiders, Carto, and I think all of the others you suggested in the Portland/Hillsboro area.

We also have 15 printouts for caches beginning in Coos Bay and working our way up the 101 to Tillamook, and we'll head east from there.

Steak says that he'll contact you by phone tomorrow afternoon or night from Newport where we will be staying (at his Mom's).

I'm so JAZZED! The GeoGadget's Great Oregon Geocaching Expedition is about to set sail!

Guest Mopar

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

I'm so JAZZED! The GeoGadget's Great Oregon Geocaching Expedition is about to set sail!

Sooo... you guys make it back ok yet?

This thread has been going for a bit now. Have you left for the trip yet?!

I'm glad to see that you have Mission: Impossible on your list. That can take awhile to do, but let me know how long you'll be in the area and we'll see if you can get it done. May I also suggest my "Urban Cache: Overdue"? It's quite popular and it won't take you long. It could also come in handy while working on Mission. icon_wink.gif