International Space Station 20 years

Max and 99

I might be the only one who participates, but I thought it might be fun to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the ISS launch. How about a Waymarking, worldwide goal of watching 20 passes collectively during the month of November?  I watch many passes by myself so this will make it more fun. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1
On 8/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, Max and 99 said:

I might be the only one who participates, but I thought it might be fun to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the ISS launch. How about a Waymarking, worldwide goal of watching 20 passes collectively during the month of November?  I watch many passes by myself so this will make it more fun. Just a thought.

Are we talking about Waymarking 20 Passes as paired viewers? That would produce between 20 and 40 new Waymarks depending upon cloud cover at various locations.

Or are we just making comments on this forum that, individually, we saw it pass over?

On 8/28/2018 at 9:56 PM, bluesnote said:

Just as a heads up, I'm now located in the DC area for college. So if the ISS passes over DC or can be seen from DC, I'll be glad to offer help there. If it goes over LA, then I can't really provide any help unfortunately.

I'll keep you in mind. I think some of my passes could be that far south. Timing will be the critical factor.

After doing a little research, Any Visible pass from SW to NE directly over DC or passing to the NW of DC will be within my viewing area. Of course some may be prevented by your Sunrise, my Sunset, or Earths shadow.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
Add extra Info.

If you are checking on future ISS passes, you might want to double check them again. The ISS made an orbit boost on the 5th or 6th. A pass I was watching for Oct 12 jumped from Max Alt of 41° before the boosts to 47° after the boosts. These were taken from Heavens Above, 36 hours apart, before and after the boosts.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
Edit to correct some data.
On 10/26/2018 at 5:27 PM, vulture1957 said:

Early AM sightings (5:30-6:30) on 15 and 12 Nov. Early evening sightings (18:30) on 23 and 25 Nov. on 22 Nov, 35 degree pass at 19:21. With all the trees around me, I"m not sure I'd see anything lower.

I will be in San Antonio, TX on the evening of November 23rd.

23 Nov -3.4 18:27:14 10° SW 18:30:27 58° NW 18:32:59 15° NNE visible

This is the same pass as Vulture1957 in Oklahoma City. I think you are a few seconds more than 1 minutes from my listed time. So we are good to work together.

Kansas City, MO will see the same pass at Max Altitude 52° to the SE as it disappears into the Earths shadow.

I was unable to drag myself out of bed at 4:55 a.m but we did get out to see the 05:28 pass. 19°F, warner than last time. Even though the car windows were covered in ice we could see the ISS thru the windshield while driving down the street. Clear as could be!  It was a long, beautiful pass. Almost 6 minutes of visibility.

Total community views: 2

Apparently the posters on this thread are not morning people! With that said, is anyone watching the Leonids this weekend? I have great memories of lining blankets at the lake and taking a bunch of kids to watch the show years ago. Best I've ever seen, maybe 75/ hour. 

ISS: 5:32 a.m. 21°Alt, 1 1/2 min viewing time.

It was a little further south than we expected.

Total community views: 3

Edited by Max and 99
14 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I got home in time to watch the ISS pass tonight, but pizza distracted me and I missed it! I have to make sure I don't miss the Thanksgiving pass! Friday will be THE best day for us in OKC to watch-so don't forget!

My plans to be in San Antonio on Friday evening for the ISS pass have been canceled. I was planning to team up with folks. I've contacted a few people who visit Waymarks in that area. None were interested in creating an ISS pass Waymark with partners. They were more interested i shopping.

2 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

My plans to be in San Antonio on Friday evening for the ISS pass have been canceled. I was planning to team up with folks. I've contacted a few people who visit Waymarks in that area. None were interested in creating an ISS pass Waymark with partners. They were more interested i shopping.

I'm planning to TRY to view as many as I can in the next few days since time is running out fast. I can't get my waymarker friends to watch. :(