Can I download a trackable's log entries?

thanman2

Apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else in the threads, no search permutation I tried came up with an answer. So, I have a trackable I use to track visits to caches. Occasionally I forget to log a visit, and my OCD then punishes me and I have to go identify the caches finds that are sans trackable visits. It would be much easier for me to accomplish this if I could bulk download all of a trackable's log entries, as opposed to browsing through a list of 20 per mouse click. Help?

18 hours ago, thanman2 said:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else in the threads, no search permutation I tried came up with an answer. So, I have a trackable I use to track visits to caches. Occasionally I forget to log a visit, and my OCD then punishes me and I have to go identify the caches finds that are sans trackable visits. It would be much easier for me to accomplish this if I could bulk download all of a trackable's log entries, as opposed to browsing through a list of 20 per mouse click. Help?

While it isn't quite what you're looking for, a way to show all of the logs at once rather than at 20 per page is to click the "View Map" link just above the list of logs. The resulting page will have the map and then all of the logs listed in order from newest to oldest below it. This might make your workflow a little easier.

• Helpful 2

If you use GSAK, there's a macro called DipTB.gsk that will dip a TB into all your finds. IF you read the first instructions it tells you to (quote) Set a filter for the found caches you want the Trackable to visit. Your filter should exclude any caches you have not found and also should exclude any caches the trackable has already visited (logged). The macro has no way to know if you've already logged the trackable into a particular cache, so if you do not exclude caches from the filter that already have a visited log for this trackable, a duplicate log will be created on the trackable's page.

I don't know how to set this filter, but the folks at GSAK should be able to help you.

This way, you should be able to run it and have the TB dipped into any caches you have missed.

DISCLAIMER

I have used this macro on my "MY FINDS " PQ and it worked as advertised ..... I HAVEN'T tried the above process, so check it out carefully. I'm sure you don't want it logging the TB twice into caches you have already done so.

16 hours ago, BCandMsKitty said:

If you use GSAK, there's a macro called DipTB.gsk that will dip a TB into all your finds. IF you read the first instructions it tells you to (quote) Set a filter for the found caches you want the Trackable to visit. Your filter should exclude any caches you have not found and also should exclude any caches the trackable has already visited (logged). The macro has no way to know if you've already logged the trackable into a particular cache, so if you do not exclude caches from the filter that already have a visited log for this trackable, a duplicate log will be created on the trackable's page.

I don't know how to set this filter, but the folks at GSAK should be able to help you.

This way, you should be able to run it and have the TB dipped into any caches you have missed.

DISCLAIMER

I have used this macro on my "MY FINDS " PQ and it worked as advertised ..... I HAVEN'T tried the above process, so check it out carefully. I'm sure you don't want it logging the TB twice into caches you have already done so.

I know dipping TBs is a common thing, and I sometimes do it myself, but only when the TB is actually WITH ME when I visit a cache.

So many people complain here in the forums about pages and pages of 'dips', and while I think it's perfectly legitimate while others don't, the intent should be to track a TB's TRAVELS & MILEAGE.

So, in my opinion, simply registering a 'visit' for every TB in your inventory, whether it's with you or not violates the intent of the travel-tracking and dilutes the TB's accomplishment (of staying out out there and not getting muggled).

One of my TBs is about to top 35,000 miles, and if I discovered that five or ten or fifteen of those thousands were actually the travels of the cacher holding the bug while it sat warm & dry in his basement, I'd be significantly less thrilled.

So, PLEASE don't adopt the habit of 'visiting' or 'dipping' or 'dropping/retrieving' every TB in your possession into caches where you can't physically pull the bug out and SHOW it the cache.

My opinion, and my preference for how I'd like my TBs to be handled.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
Spelling; fighting iliterecy.
  • Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

So, PLEASE don't adopt the habit of 'visiting' or 'dipping' or 'dropping/retrieving' every TB in your possession into caches where you can't physically pull the bug out and SHOW it the cache.

Fair comment (and I agree), but the OP is talking about ‘dipping’ his own trackable.

16 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Fair comment (and I agree), but the OP is talking about ‘dipping’ his own trackable.

Yes, that's true, and in my eyes, that's a legitimate use, because that's the 'mission', if you will, of that TB: to track his or her travels. In this case the TO & the TB are actual proxies for each other.

I was speaking more generally about 'dipping'; perhaps I should have made the distinction. Sometimes, you just react to a topic when it's a pet peeve. Subject for that "IRKS" thread, no?

Thanks for the 'adjustment'.

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

So many people complain here in the forums about pages and pages of 'dips', and while I think it's perfectly legitimate while others don't, the intent should be to track a TB's TRAVELS & MILEAGE.

I agree that there are some perfectly legitimate reasons for dipping a TB.  Many trackables have a mission to visit certain types of caches or specific types of locations.  Sometimes caches at those locations are just not conducive to leaving the TB.   For example,  many years ago I took a "lion" TB to Rome after asking the owner if she wanted me to bring it (even though the TB page indicated that it wanted to travel around the U.S.).   One of the first caches I found was at the Colosseum.  It was a micro and much too small for trackable items.  I took a photo of the lion in front of the Colosseum, dipped it into the cache so that I could log it's history of visiting and eventually placed it in a larger cache with lots of room for TBs.   

19 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Many trackables have a mission to visit certain types of caches or specific types of locations.  Sometimes caches at those locations are just not conducive to leaving the TB.

I once grabbed a TB that wanted to visit playground caches. I had it visit a lot of playground caches (complete with photos) while I was in possession of it.

8 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

So, in my opinion, simply registering a 'visit' for every TB in your inventory, whether it's with you or not violates the intent of the travel-tracking and dilutes the TB's accomplishment (of staying out out there and not getting muggled).

Read my post in the light of what the OP was wanting. He has had his TB with him, and wants to track his visits using it.

Nowhere did I say they, or anyone else should dip "Every TB in their inventory", and would  never want to see that being done!

I was simply suggesting a way he might be able to do it with the single TB in question, for the caches he said he has missed without having to open each visited cache again. He certainly has the option of logging his TB into the caches he has visited.

Thanks all! So I gather that there isn't a nifty way to do what I'd wanted originally. I'll try the GSAK macro but that still leaves the question of which few caches are the ones missing visits! Sigh. Seems like it wouldn't be hard at all for Groundspeak to include this in their API...

3 hours ago, BCandMsKitty said:

Read my post in the light of what the OP was wanting. He has had his TB with him, and wants to track his visits using it.

Nowhere did I say they, or anyone else should dip "Every TB in their inventory", and would  never want to see that being done!

I was simply suggesting a way he might be able to do it with the single TB in question, for the caches he said he has missed without having to open each visited cache again. He certainly has the option of logging his TB into the caches he has visited.

No, I get that. Please read my subsequent post. No slight was intended.

I was just talking slightly off-topic, without saying so, which was wrong.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
On 8/15/2018 at 1:00 PM, The A-Team said:

While it isn't quite what you're looking for, a way to show all of the logs at once rather than at 20 per page is to click the "View Map" link just above the list of logs. The resulting page will have the map and then all of the logs listed in order from newest to oldest below it. This might make your workflow a little easier.

Ah, thank you for reminding me of this! It is something I had discovered in the past, and then subsequently forgot about. It's not ideal but it is adequate (given some parsing with perl or Excel or the like). :)

Since you mentioned the macro I'm assuming you are using GSAK. I'm using the TrackableOwnedAPI macro to download all my owned trackable logs but in your case it would still not match logs with found caches without a lot of work. Ask this question in the GSAK forums, there could be a process in place already and if not, someone willing to write a macro for this specific task.

12 hours ago, BCandMsKitty said:
On 8/20/2018 at 12:36 PM, hzoi said:

How did it handle locked caches? 

No idea

Fair enough.  If you know of old finds of yours that are now locked caches, and you have the chance to go back to the TB and see whether it got visited to them or not, that might be good intel to share.