How do I assign multiple owners to a cache?

kwalker

Hello,

I placed the oldest cache in MN, 18 long years ago.  It's gotten very busy and I would like to appoint a partner to share in the cache admin responsibility.  Is this possible?  We would BOTH like to respond to cachers  with answers to questions, etc.

Thanks,

kjw

Thank you for keeping that cache maintained for all these many years!

Only one account can have access to the cache owner administrative features on the cache page, such as the ability to enable or disable the page, the ability to post Owner Maintenance logs that clear the "Needs Maintenance" attribute, the ability to delete inappropriate logs or images, and the ability to receive "Owner" emails or messages directly via the link on the cache page.

Solutions include adopting over the cache to a new account, for which multiple people have the password, or having the "maintenance partner" simply put the cache page on their watchlist so that they can respond to questions.  For different caches, I've used both of these options successfully for many years.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Watch is NOT a premium function, any member can put a cache on Watch.

Another option would be to share your password with the other user, who puts the cache on Watch - now both of you receive all logs as email, and can access the cache page to update.

I'd probably go with Keystone's suggestion:  create a new joint account, one with  some sort joint username, yours and the caretakers - once that account is created, adopt the cache over to it, on the adoption page

www.geocaching.com/adopt/

and both of you have and use the password.

Thinking of a somewhat more permanent solution to the problem, maybe you could approach the Minnesota Geocaching Association:

https://www.geocaching.com/p/default.aspx?u=mngca

Maybe they'd be willing to take over the Listing page and any maintenance concerns, which would expand your base of potential helpers.  Worth a shot anyway.

Best of luck and thanks for keeping your old cache going all these years.

I know a cache owner who has a cache placed near his home, the first one he had hidden by the way. When you look at the cache page on the website you will see his Geocache handle and his sons listed as owners, but when selecting the name to get info, it shows only his name and info, not his son's. I think I may have to back and check something though, I did not check on his son's name to see what occurred. This CO happens to be my brother.

Just checked, when I did select his son's name, it goes to my brothers's info.He must have placed both names on the owner spot somehow.

Edited by Jayeffel
update info
1 hour ago, Jayeffel said:

I know a cache owner who has a cache placed near his home, the first one he had hidden by the way. When you look at the cache page on the website you will see his Geocache handle and his sons listed as owners, but when selecting the name to get info, it shows only his name and info, not his son's. I think I may have to back and check something though, I did not check on his son's name to see what occurred. This CO happens to be my brother.

Just checked, when I did select his son's name, it goes to my brothers's info.He must have placed both names on the owner spot somehow.

You can edit the ‘Placed by’ to say whatever you want, but the link will always take you to the (one) cache owner.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1