GPS EtreX10

Chuchu.92

Good morning,

I am a Premium member. I bought an EtreX10 GPS. 

Unfortunately, despite my many searches, I don't understand how to put several and all at once the caches (for example, all of Switzerland) on my GPS.

I downloaded the latest update from Garmin. 

Thank you in advance for your help :rolleyes:

Edited by Chuchu.92
11 minutes ago, HHL said:

Use Pocket Queries (click here) to export a bunch of caches to your unit.

NB: you will not be able to export all Switzerland caches.

NBB: This is an English talking forum.

Hans

Thank you for your answer. 
But just to be safe, I've already created a Pocket Queries: 
New Pocket Query - 
Days to Generate = what's the point?
Then I fill the rest and I click on Submit Information.
And then what folder do I have to save it in for it to take on my GPS?
Thank you in advance

4 minutes ago, Chuchu.92 said:

And then what folder do I have to save it in for it to take on my GPS?

After getting the email confirming the PQ has been built and prividing a download link:

Download the PQ > unzip the PQ > connect the eTrex 10 to your PC in "Mass Storage Mode" > Copy the unziped PQ files (Both Gpx files) to your Garmin unit.

The path to copy is: Garmin Unit [G]:/Garmin/GPX/your files here.

Hans

Edited by HHL
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Chuchu.92 said:

The point is that you are limited to 10 queries a day, so if you want all of Switzerland, which can be done with more advanced GPS units, you would have to choose which queries run on a particular day.

Many people just keep a collection of pocket queries and run them the day the plan to go out so they are carrying the most recent data.

6 hours ago, Chuchu.92 said:

If you do not select a day to generate the cache all you will get is a preview list of what the PQ will contain, which is NOT the PQ.  To actually run the PQ, that is, create the GPX file, you need to select a day for it to run. If you select the current day (in Seattle time) you will get the PQ in a few minutes, usually less than 10.

The answers by HHL and Mineral2 seem complete and helpful. Thanx, guys. 

Be careful to not fall into a trap sometimes unwillingly set by experienced overachievers. Switzerland is a lovely place to cache. (Look for my name in logbooks in Zurich and Basel. :-) ) Carrying around ALL of the caches in Switzerland is really not very practical. You've found 46 caches, so don't frustrate yourself with the limits of a "mere" 10,000 a day in pocket queries. You're probably not going to be doing terrain 5 puzzle caches in St. Gallen and Lausanne on the same day. Be realistic in what you're going to look for (find the difficulty/terrain/cache type) and the areas you're going to hunt in and focus on carrying a fresh set of caches that you may actually look for between times you'll be near a computer instead of fretting about carrying ALL the caches and potentially having stale data and finding yourself spending hours looking for a cache that's been removed, for example. The tricks above are valid for helping you get all the caches, but you'll find you probably don't NEED all the caches as a practical matter.

My advice for a new hunter is to focus on "enough to have fun in between the times I'm near a computer" instead of "all" and you may find a happier place with more time hunting caches and less time messing with computers and searching for removed caches because you have stale data. 

Oh, you sort of asked, but it's widely considered a bit goofy that you have to calculate the date in American Pacific time and schedule it to run instead of there being a "do it now because why else would I be here" button. It seems a bit silly but the experience folks that have seen that screen for 15 years are largely blind to it.

Good luck and happy hunting.

14 hours ago, robertlipe said:

Oh, you sort of asked, but it's widely considered a bit goofy that you have to calculate the date in American Pacific time and schedule it to run instead of there being a "do it now because why else would I be here" button. It seems a bit silly but the experience folks that have seen that screen for 15 years are largely blind to it.

Pro tip: The current Seattle time is shown just above your list of saved PQs, so you don't need to do any calculation. Just pick whatever day it shows, unless it's just about to roll past midnight onto the next day.

Thank you so much for your help. I managed to get on it. Now we have to try to understand the GPS and find the way.
GPS is not for me (for a person who doesn't use a computer, that's why I wanted to put a lot of GEOCACH).
Still a small question, as soon as we find a cache, does it transfer directly to our account?
Have a nice day and thank you again.
Good Discovery.
On 8/25/2018 at 3:03 AM, Chuchu.92 said:
Thank you so much for your help. I managed to get on it. Now we have to try to understand the GPS and find the way.
GPS is not for me (for a person who doesn't use a computer, that's why I wanted to put a lot of GEOCACH).
Still a small question, as soon as we find a cache, does it transfer directly to our account?
Have a nice day and thank you again.
Good Discovery.

Nope. Your eTrex 10 has no internet connection and therefore cannot talk directly with Groundspeak (geocaching.com). Just as you can't search for geocaches without first preloading them by connecting to a computer, you cannot log your finds without connecting to a computer. Your finds are stored as a file called geocache_finds.txt which can be uploaded to the website to form drafts. Then you can submit your drafts as logs. Drafts do sync with the official app, so once your drafts are uploaded, you can do the logging with your phone.

8 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Nope. Your eTrex 10 has no internet connection and therefore cannot talk directly with Groundspeak (geocaching.com). Just as you can't search for geocaches without first preloading them by connecting to a computer, you cannot log your finds without connecting to a computer. Your finds are stored as a file called geocache_finds.txt which can be uploaded to the website to form drafts. Then you can submit your drafts as logs. Drafts do sync with the official app, so once your drafts are uploaded, you can do the logging with your phone.

Are you certain that can be accomplished with an old eTrex 10 that uses serial data, not USB? I do not believe the user has any direct access to data stored on the eTrex 10.