New cache - reasonable distance

huladiver

I wanted to place a new cache. I have a cute spot picked by my daughter. However, I’m getting a reject because it’s too close to another cache. I can’t put it elsewhere. Is there any leeway with new caches and reasonable distance? I’m one house away from being far enough away. Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, huladiver said:

I can’t put it elsewhere.

Maybe you could consider a Multi or Mystery with the published coordinates on the spot you want, but the Final somewhere else, far away for any physical stages of other caches.

Even with this solution, there can't be any physical thing (added by you) on the published coords.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
4 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

No,there is usually no leeway.  Your only option for placing a cache in that specific location lies in negotiating with the owner of the other cache.

So, if the other person moved their cache a little ways, I could technically make it work? But, obviously, would need to contact them first. 

51 minutes ago, huladiver said:

So, if the other person moved their cache a little ways, I could technically make it work? But, obviously, would need to contact them first. 

One of my Favorites uses a hide technique that is very specific to its location, and has an acknowledgement in the description thanking the owner of a nearby cache for moving that cache to eliminate the saturation conflict.

But don't count on that kind of a response.

• Helpful 1
54 minutes ago, huladiver said:

If you're needing another to move their cache to fit you in, there may not be room for them to move either.

- Or, if they have issues later, they're sunk,  because they moved their cache for you.

I'd put it on a watch, and if it's ever archived you'd have your spot.   :)

Guess I don't understand that someone would even be okay with asking someone to move.  They were there before you... 

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

If you're needing another to move their cache to fit you in, there may not be room for them to move either.

- Or, if they have issues later, they're sunk,  because they moved their cache for you.

I'd put it on a watch, and if it's ever archived you'd have your spot.   :)

Guess I don't understand that someone would even be okay with asking someone to move.  They were there before you... 

I totally understand. They are in a park and there’s lots of places similar to where it is now that it could be moved. There are no geographic issues for moving it further away in the same park. I am not holding my breath that they will move it but asked nicely. My daughter has a fairy garden in front of our house and she’d like to put one there. It would be super cute. We’ll see. This cache has been moved once before and this cache has been there since 2008 so chances are that it isn’t going to be archived any time soon. I only need it to be moved about 90 feet. I’m really close to the cut off for space. 

7 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

This is a geocaching community, so I don't see anything wrong with trying to work together to allow each other to accomplish our respective goals. If it's possible for the other cacher to move their cache a short distance without much trouble in order to allow the OP to hide their cache, then the community wins with the addition of another cache. Of course, it's possible that the other cacher can't move their cache for similar reasons, but it can't hurt to ask in a friendly way. Like NanCycle, I'd move mine if I was asked in a friendly manner and it was feasible to do so.

4 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

The container for that cache does seem small enough that it could be hidden in a number of places, but there is a playground at the other end of the park and it's fairly open, so that limits the possible hiding spots.

Yes, but there is a wooded area behind the playground too. 

5 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

The container for that cache does seem small enough that it could be hidden in a number of places, but there is a playground at the other end of the park and it's fairly open, so that limits the possible hiding spots.

And, Amazing sleuthing from my screenshot!

22 hours ago, huladiver said:

Yes, but there is a wooded area behind the playground too. 

Playgrounds and the areas immediately surrounding them aren't generally a good spot for caches due to the following:

• Kids are known to explore, and may stumble upon the cache and either damage, remove, or otherwise interfere with it. I long ago lost count of all of the caches hidden near playgrounds in my area that went missing.
  • A lone person hanging around near a playground can appear very suspicious to muggles. I, as a single male, always feel very awkward being on my own caching near a playground. There have been many times when I've skipped searching for this reason.

I am attempting to hide my first cache. There is a cache located across the street from the location I have selected that, as the crow flies, is less than .1 miles. I understand there is a rule to keep caches separated but in this same location there are many red circles that overlap. Why can those overlap but mine cannot?

Geocaching _ Submit a Geocache Issue.png

Geocaching _ Submit a Geocache Issue 2.png

47 minutes ago, mavwitt said:

I am attempting to hide my first cache. There is a cache located across the street from the location I have selected that, as the crow flies, is less than .1 miles. I understand there is a rule to keep caches separated but in this same location there are many red circles that overlap. Why can those overlap but mine cannot?

Each circle has a radius of 0.1 miles around the cache at its centre, so two circles just touching each other would be from caches 0.2 miles apart. As long as one circle doesn't include the centre of another circle, it's fine for them to partially overlap.

• Helpful 1
On 8/14/2018 at 6:19 AM, huladiver said:

Is there any leeway with new caches and reasonable distance?

I was knocked back once as I was 1m (3') too close to another..... It was my fault, the other cache was a traditional we'd found and I just straight out forgot about it once we found a spot for our hide.....

here are many red circles that overlap. Why can those overlap but mine cannot?

A quick illustration of the point that barefootjeff made, below. Circles can overlap, but the cache itself (black dot in my drawing below) cannot be inside the circle of a different cache.

I grabbed your posted image and added black dots. Your cache is inside the red circle of a different cache. The other caches are not.

inside circles.jpg

• Helpful 3
6 minutes ago, mavwitt said:

Thanks everyone. That makes sense. Too bad, I had a killer location for an interesting cache. 

Follow-up question: Can I use this location as the final for a multi-cache? 

Nope.  It can not be a physical cache or stage at that location.  Only a virtual stage would be allowed at the location as part of a multi, WIG, mystery, etc.

Edited by icezebra11

Thanks icezebra11. I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. It is disappointing because I did all of the work to scout a great location, came up with a great idea, purchased an expensive container ($20), got permission from the property owner, and now I can't place it because there is a pill bottle across the street. 

Is there a way to appeal this?

Thanks icezebra11, but that only applies if my cache was submitted and rejected. I can't even get it submitted the way the site is configured. 

Thanks Arisoft. The current cache would need to move north a little bit and that would jeopardize a location I am scouting for my second cache. Besides, the current cache is located at a "welcome to our town" board so there is not a good spot to move it.

I will just have to explain to the property owner that I took up his time for nothing. ?

Thanks RuideAlmeida,

I was thinking this would be the final for a multi, but it could be a first stage, if that is allowed. This is my first time placing a cache and was not really planning on a multi, but I guess I can go big or go home. :) 

So it is OK for this location to be the first stage of a multi, correct?