Welcome to Portland.

oregone

This may be a stupid idea, but wouldn't it be cool to have some sort of "welcome to portland" guide for out-of-town geocachers?

While emailing the famous Seth! of the seattle area, i thought this would be kinda cool. i recently went on a trip to their neck of the woods and realized i had no idea what caches to hit, where to stay the night, and where to find crabcakes.

i know that a lot of cachers want to come to portland for "the contact cache." and redwood red and steak n' eggs were recently here to do just that. i just think it would be kinda neat to make a little booklet or something for people.

then again, maybe the forums provide all the info they would need. i don't know.

listen to me. i used the phrase "kinda neat." i gotta stop getting out so much.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Good idea, oregone

So how about every major metropolitan area has a designated "Geocaching Info" cache which contains information about the areas 'favorite' or 'must find' caches? Locals could visit it and leave info (entries in the log) on caches they think visitors should hit while in town. PDX visitors could hit it first when they arrive to gather said info and log their visit as well.

It might contain items such as area maps, MAX tokens, directions to internet cafe's and libraries (for those who have no other means of connecting to geocaching.com while in town), coupons for food/coffee, etc. Anything we locals think they could use to hunt the favored caches. We might suggest non-local visitors NOT leave items to avoid others any confusion about what applies to Portland and what doesn't. With so many of us locals around, keeping it stocked with maps, etc shouldn't be a problem.

5505_600.gif

So I posted a reply to this post last night. After entering it I got a message that due to certain "trigger" words in my reply, the post will be reviewed by the moderator and approved before being shown.

What's the deal? Are our posts being censored now?

fwiw, no obscene language or inflammatory remarks were used.

5505_600.gif

[This message was edited by makaio on March 29, 2002 at 10:12 AM.]

Excellent idea, makaio. We should figure out how to make it unplunderable somehow. I guess it should also be kinda easy. Hmmm... The top of a downtown parking structure? I don't know.

I'm sure everyone in portland would have some piece of knowledge or preferences to contribute to it, so it could be the first cache placed by an entire cityfull of geocachers.

I recently posted a topic asking for a little help in La Palma CA. for my trip there next week and out of something like 60 hits I had only one reply(and I took a shower this week too). I was thinking about a rating system where you could rate a cache after you find it like you can a topic here. That way if you are short on time you can browse through the area and hit only the premo caches.

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

Excellent idea, makaio. We should figure out how to make it unplunderable somehow. I guess it should also be kinda easy. Hmmm... The top of a downtown parking structure? I don't know.

This is a little out of context but, that reminds me of that cache in Seattle, "A Innocent Love of Geocaching" it's a fractal type cache. Did you try that one?

Oregone,

I'm still in favor of your idea. I may be coming down there during third week of this month (April), so get right on it, okay? icon_wink.gif An Info Cache? Maybe have the folks at the Barley Mill keep it behind the bar. I was assuming that the BM would be our jumping-off point.

Always the last guy at the Forum.

Cheers,

Seth!

Oregone,

I'm still in favor of your idea. I may be coming down there during third week of this month (April), so get right on it, okay? icon_wink.gif An Info Cache? Maybe have the folks at the Barley Mill keep it behind the bar. I was assuming that the BM would be our jumping-off point.

Always the last guy at the Forum.

Cheers,

Seth!

I saw seth!'s message on the forums tonight and tried to start a "behind the bar" cache at the BM, but the staff there were about as into that as they are into mandatory sentences for possession of "water pipes." silly hippies, trix are for kids.

But since the washingtonians are coming, i decided to spend at least part of the tonight looking for a geocaching-friendly business in the pdx metro area to hold an ammo box behind the counter for anyone with the secret word. so far, the only one that felt really good about doing this with no commercial tie-in whatsoever is the Magic Garden--the most inappropriate place for a tourist (and geocache) in the state of Oregon. Although it is within a stones-throw of many popular attractions, i don't think a stripclub would be apt considering my intentions.

So anyway, i'm still working on it.

quote:

i know that a lot of cachers want to come to portland for "the contact cache." and redwood red and steak n' eggs were recently here to do just that. i just think it would be kinda neat to make a little booklet or something for people.

then again, maybe the forums provide all the info they would need. i don't know.

This is a WAY COOL idea! Of course we had the world famous and very generous Fractal to introduce us to the basic bustle of Hillsboro (YUM - Pizza Schmizza!) and aid us in finding our hotel, but I can't imagine that everyone coming to your Pacific Northwest metropolis will be so blessed.

I was really hoping to see the famous digs where Oregone leans on the bar and seduces semi-innocent women, but hey, we had the kids with us! Now, that spot should definitely be on the Official Tour!

I highly recommend the place that we stayed (it is only 1.5 miles from Contact Cache), as the rooms are large and they have a nice (free) continental breakfast if you can get motivated before 10 a.m. (not one of my strong points). I also picked up a ton of tourist brochures for our next trip up (probably around early Fall, when it begins to cool off).

Oregone, I nominate you as Portland's Embassador of Cache! Viva la Placemente!

(can you tell I've been up late night-caching again?)

---

RedwoodRed

quote:

so far, the only one that felt really good about doing this with no commercial tie-in whatsoever is the Magic Garden--the most inappropriate place for a tourist (and geocache) in the state of Oregon. Although it is within a stones-throw of many popular attractions, i don't think a stripclub would be apt considering my intentions.

Hmmm....if that's the same "Magic Garden" that is across the street from my apartment, I wouldn't recommend it. You might as well tell them to buzz my apartment and have me bring stuff down to them (though I'm not home until 5 or 6 every night, so that's out of the question).

As for the parking garage, I don't know. The first cache we ever found was at the top of a parking garage, and it got stolen (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3652)

We took that idea when we placed our vacation cache in Victoria, Canada. Hopefully it'll stay there for awhile. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18507)

The only thing I can think of is just to lead them to Pioneer Courthouse Square to the city's information center, but that wouldn't be fun, and I think they close at 5 or something.

If they are visiting, make sure they check out our waterfront cache, that'll give them a beautiful view of the city, is accessable all hours, all days, and is a simple walk (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14292), though for some reason it keeps dissappearing and reappearing randomly.

I'll be in the Portland area for the weekend of April 20. Most likely I'll meet up with Moun10Bike there as well for a geocaching spree. How is the W2P idea coming along? I assume that we can meet some of you at the BM on either Friday or Saturday night. I'm a bit freaked out by the possibility of running into Waynepdx, so if you can send him to Eugene for the weekend, that would be great. (Geocaching while drunk? Dude, that's why they made MTV. Stay home!)

Seth!

I should have a preliminary version of the W2PGCG up by that Friday. It will include a map of the area as well as my VERY biased ideas on where to eat and where to stay. And, of course, a varied list of the area geocaches. Both cache-and-dash, ultra-hard, and all the others.

quote:

I should have a preliminary version of the W2PGCG up by that Friday. It will include a map of the area as well as my VERY biased ideas on where to eat and where to stay. And, of course, a varied list of the area geocaches. Both cache-and-dash, ultra-hard, and all the others.

Well, Oregone, as we recall from one of your earlier posts, you never use a map and don't even have any! So if you are going to include a map, do you need us to supply you with one? Unfortunately the Carto Cache has been stolen or we would stock it with lots of Portland maps for out of town guests! We might have it back in operation before Seth comes down but not sure.

We think the best idea is a large cache, the Portland cache, which is stocked with info on Portland and every visitor from Portland can enter their favorite cache in the log. You could have separate logbooks for best caches to recommend, best restaurants, best pubs, best hotel, etc. No real need to put it in a store or pub to hand to people - make 'em find it. But make it easy to find near the freeway somewhere or close in. Makaio and pdxmaratonman could write about Hillsboro and Beaverton caches, we could cover the SW, DenaliNW and Ryan & Crystal could cover Vancouver, Oregone and LaurenCat could cover the SE, Matt and Laura get to write about Gresham, Joedohn can handle the river and obscure spots out of town, and Fractal would handle the tough mental challenges, etc., etc. What do you think?

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

Great.

And LaurenCat mentioned something about a pitcher...

icon_wink.gif

Yup, Seth, let me or Oregone know whether that friday or saturday and we'll drag our lazy selves over to the BM and buy you several pitchers. Then you'll have all the clues to do the Oregone History Lesson #1 cache. Maybe I'll bring my new kitten, Joey.

Kitten!

quote:

Great.

And LaurenCat mentioned something about a pitcher...

icon_wink.gif

Yup, Seth, let me or Oregone know whether that friday or saturday and we'll drag our lazy selves over to the BM and buy you several pitchers. Then you'll have all the clues to do the Oregone History Lesson #1 cache. Maybe I'll bring my new kitten, Joey.

Kitten!

quote:
Originally posted by Maps-R-Us:

Well, Oregone, as we recall from one of your earlier posts, you never use a map and don't even have any! So if you are going to include a map, do you need us to supply you with one?

I recently discovered that I live about eight blocks away from Oregon Blue Print. Who knew? While I still don't have a map of Portland, I do have a lot of USGS Topos for Shellburg's Kitchen, 3 Pools, and Pechuck Cache.

So yeah, maybe you guys should supply the maps.

If the weather's okay, perhaps a midnight jaunt to "After Dark" would be in order. Or has everyone already done that one?

Laurencat et al., Saturday might be good. We should have a day's worth of stories to tell. It depends on whether or not you guys are planning to give us loads of tips (advice, not loose change) while we toss a few back. I should also check with Erin (Mrs. Seth!) to get her opinion. We're bringing the tribe.

Makaio or anyone else, do you have the coordinates for the original stash? Any chance that the Un-Original Stash will be operational by the 20th? I'd like to visit both.

Last item before I click Post Now: How far is After Dark from the Barley Mill?

Seth!

quote:

Last item before I click Post Now: How far is After Dark from the Barley Mill?

Seth!

Definitely far enough to find a designated driver if there are pitchers involved!

quote:

Makaio or anyone else, do you have the coordinates for the original stash? Any chance that the Un-Original Stash will be operational by the 20th? I'd like to visit both.Seth!

Actually, I think I can give you that. I have been in touch with a friend of mine,Mike Teague, He got me interested in "GeoStashing" as it was called two years ago. He was the one that FOUND it first. I have been trying to get him back into Geocaching and happened to ask him about it. He told me it was at.." N45 17.464 W122 24.827 It was underneath a bunch of bushes and perhaps a 3" diamter

tree or somesuch... right off the side of the gravel turn-out.. " hope that helps

Bob G.

I've made a list of geocaches in the Contact Cache-Barley Mill area. Only one is by oregone. How far away are the other ones? (I'm too lazy to check his list I guess.)

Also, oregone, how do YOU pronounce oregone?

- Seth! (rhymes with Beth! not Baformachuckalotta!)

I had never used that arrow icon until now. I've also never used icon_rolleyes.gif or icon_eek.gif

I've made a list of geocaches in the Contact Cache-Barley Mill area. Only one is by oregone. How far away are the other ones? (I'm too lazy to check his list I guess.)

Also, oregone, how do YOU pronounce oregone?

- Seth! (rhymes with Beth! not Baformachuckalotta!)

I had never used that arrow icon until now. I've also never used icon_rolleyes.gif or icon_eek.gif

In reply to Seth...

The Original was (at the time) placed in a black 5-gallon bucket which was buried up to the brim beside a small group of trees which were beside a gravel turnout in the road. The lid was exposed, but covered enough with debris to hide it while allowing someone looking for it to find it.

By the time I got involved and found it (Sept '00), the trees and all surrounding undergrowth had been cleared away (presumeably by road crews) and the bucket was open and half filled with water. It's only contents the can of baked beans. I left them there and placed the Un-Original cache up the embankment a bit from the Original cache, where it was hidden from view of anyone who stopped at the turnout.

I'll do my best to replace the Un-Original by the 20th, but can't promise since that weekend is my daughters 2nd birthday party and if the wife thinks I'm trying to skip out to replace a cache, I'm as good as dead icon_smile.gif

Even if the cache isn't there, you might take a drive up there just to see the area, although it's rather anti-climatic as it's just a gravel area beside a country road. No spectacular views or anything icon_smile.gif At least you could say you were there.

If/when I get it replaced, I'll post it as a new subject and here as well.

5505_600.gif

In reply to Seth...

The Original was (at the time) placed in a black 5-gallon bucket which was buried up to the brim beside a small group of trees which were beside a gravel turnout in the road. The lid was exposed, but covered enough with debris to hide it while allowing someone looking for it to find it.

By the time I got involved and found it (Sept '00), the trees and all surrounding undergrowth had been cleared away (presumeably by road crews) and the bucket was open and half filled with water. It's only contents the can of baked beans. I left them there and placed the Un-Original cache up the embankment a bit from the Original cache, where it was hidden from view of anyone who stopped at the turnout.

I'll do my best to replace the Un-Original by the 20th, but can't promise since that weekend is my daughters 2nd birthday party and if the wife thinks I'm trying to skip out to replace a cache, I'm as good as dead icon_smile.gif

Even if the cache isn't there, you might take a drive up there just to see the area, although it's rather anti-climatic as it's just a gravel area beside a country road. No spectacular views or anything icon_smile.gif At least you could say you were there.

If/when I get it replaced, I'll post it as a new subject and here as well.

5505_600.gif

Hey Makaio,

If you can't get to it, I have a pretty fair recollection of where your cache was placed. And from the description I can probably find Dave's original if it's still there. I'd be happy to replace your cache in its Un-original spot if you find yourself too busy.

It is, after all, THE place where it started. Just let me know and it will be done.

Moun10Bike and I are making our plans for our Greater Portland Geospree this weekend. So if you have a favorite geocache in the area (yours or otherwise) let us know and we'll make sure it's on the list. We'll try to bring a few Travel Bugs down to drop off in geocaches as well.

ponyryder, a cacher who lives nearby to where the Original and Un-Original were, agreed to replace it for me, and said he should be able to have it in place by this weekend. He mentioned moving it slightly as a path had been beginning to form, but it shouldn't be far off.

Also, as he is able to maintain it better than I, he agreed to adopt it from me (take ownership). I've asked Jeremy to make the change so that he can update the posting as needed. I'll just 'watch' it. With an ID of 146, it's one of the oldest still out there.

Dave's original cache was in a half buried bucket, but he's since removed all traces of it. If anything, there might be an indentation in the earth where it was. Look for a 'stump' (for alck of a better word) of a small tree which had lots of 'trunks' (each just a few inches in diameter). The bucket was buried right beside it. It had been cut and foliage cleared by road crew (presumeably) so the stump is essentially part of the parking area now, unless the area has regrown. It's just a few feet out from where the hill starts to rise and toward the upper end of the parking area.

5505_600.gif

quote:

Moun10Bike and I are making our plans for our Greater Portland Geospree this weekend. So if you have a favorite geocache in the area (yours or otherwise) let us know and we'll make sure it's on the list. We'll try to bring a few Travel Bugs down to drop off in geocaches as well.

I'm sorry to have missed you. I had work related activities on Saturday, and by the time I got home, it was getting to late. Hope you all had a great time! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

I'm sorry to have missed you. I had work related activities on Saturday, and by the time I got home, it was getting to late. Hope you all had a great time! icon_biggrin.gif

Since I have work in the morning, I had to leave the BM before the whole crew went off to do After Dark.

It was a great time! It was great meeting the folks from up north.. Many stories and laughs were exchanged...

Now we all have to head up there and have a get together!

Good seeing everyone tonight!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

frac-tri.gif

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

Hey guys, I had a great time in Portland. I'll post a note on the Barley Mill (Oregone History #1) page with details. It was great to meet some of Oregon's finest geocachers. I had 25 finds for the weekend and several adventures. Thanks, gang!!

Before coming to Oregon, I had another interesting geocache find here in WA. You can read about it at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16337

Seth!

Wow, what a great time at the BM Saturday night. It was great to meet everyone. And thanks to Expolsis for taking all of us to do the after dark cache. I hope to see everyone at "the search" on May 5th. Oh and a speacial thanks to McMenamins for the slight headache Sunday morning. lol

We had an absolute blast! It was great to put a name with all of the faces. I hope that you can all come up for The Search in 2 weeks -- I'm looking forward to our "Barley Mill" team!

Also, be sure to check out our story of being stalked at the Contact Cache! That story continues in on the Barley Mill cache page and finishes up on "After Dark!"

24_700.gif