Free apps for iPhones

Jessie_90

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, Jessie_90 said:

Hi my aunt is looking to start caching and she has an iPhone where as I have an android. What are some suggestions for free apps that are easy to use for someone just starting out?

Apps tend to advertise as “Free” although they're demos. That is, you can test the operation of the App, but for all the features there's a cost, even a subscription, or at least unacceptably annoying ads, especially for game Apps. If you're fine with that, search the store for “Geocaching” and look for the ones that use the word “Free”.  Internet-connected game Apps tend more towards the subscription model due to ongoing costs, yet advertise as "Free".

There are restrictions when you're not paying the Geocaching.com membership. The Official App limits the view to caches that a new user might easily find. That's a pretty good way to allow someone to test the App for free before paying for a membership. Paying members who never use "Apps" may appreciate that The App encourages App users to pay for a subscription.  I think it's a fair deal.

If a non-paying Geocaching.com member and using third-party Geocaching Apps like Cachly, the limit is 3 caches per day, and I think a limit of Traditional caches. Plus there's a one-time fee for the third-party App to access its “Pro” features.  Here are some approved third-party Apps.

Remember that all caches are available to view on the web site “for free” except for “Premium Member Only” caches. If you only hunt a cache or two a day, using a web browser and entering coordinates into a “GPS App” (such as one of many compass Apps such as Commander Compass) may work perfectly well for you.

Edited by kunarion
40 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Here are some approved third-party Apps.

I just looked at the link and checked out the Android apps. I had never seen Cachebird before. I went to the Googleplay store to check it out and see that it has been removed. I then looked at their FaceBook page and it doesn't seem that anything has been posted for a couple years.

23 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

I just looked at the link and checked out the Android apps. I had never seen Cachebird before. I went to the Googleplay store to check it out and see that it has been removed. I then looked at their FaceBook page and it doesn't seem that anything has been posted for a couple years.

If a Geocaching App (or most any connected game App) has no continuous source of income, it will tend to vanish.  I've bought several Geocaching Apps.  Even the Official Geocaching App that I bought for $10 is gone. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
6 hours ago, TriciaG said:

I've heard good things about Cachly, but I don't know if it's free. I don't own any iThings.

I use Cachly. And its an Approved API Partner. http://www.cach.ly/

I prefer it to Groundspeaks own app. (Since they did away with their own 'Paid' for version)

It's $4.99 , but you get better caching options as a Premium Member.

(Groundspeak put restrictions on the approved API apps, it's not the app developers adding restrictions!)

Mostly the restrictions are the number of caches the app will show you per day.

On 8/16/2018 at 1:11 AM, kunarion said:

... Apps such as Commander Compass may work perfectly well for you.

I'm having a problem with Commander Compass importing a GPX file.

kunarion, seems to have a few posts re Commander Compass so I'm dropping this question here.

If I use the Official GC App on my iPhone or iPad and I see a cache I'd like to find I use "Open in browser" option and the Cache page opens in Chrome on the IOS device.

Once Chrome has opened I use "Download GPX" and I get "GC6VE2b.gpx - 13kb       Download" so I proceed. Then I get "Open In ... " and I choose Commander Compass.

CC opens and I get the message "Import Coordinates No objects found in GC6VE2b.gpx ! OK"

Now on my Windows Laptop, if I download the GPX file from Chrome I get a file with the same name but a different size and structure - it's only 6kb. I email that GPX file to myself and then on my IOS device open the email and open the GPX file attachment with Commander Compass and it imports the Coordinates correctly.

Are others having this same issue ? Is there a workaround for an IOS device only solution ?

Thanks in advance

OME

3 hours ago, Old Man Emu said:

I'm having a problem with Commander Compass importing a GPX file.

kunarion, seems to have a few posts re Commander Compass so I'm dropping this question here.

If I use the Official GC App on my iPhone or iPad and I see a cache I'd like to find I use "Open in browser" option and the Cache page opens in Chrome on the IOS device.

Once Chrome has opened I use "Download GPX" and I get "GC6VE2b.gpx - 13kb       Download" so I proceed. Then I get "Open In ... " and I choose Commander Compass.

CC opens and I get the message "Import Coordinates No objects found in GC6VE2b.gpx ! OK"

Now on my Windows Laptop, if I download the GPX file from Chrome I get a file with the same name but a different size and structure - it's only 6kb. I email that GPX file to myself and then on my IOS device open the email and open the GPX file attachment with Commander Compass and it imports the Coordinates correctly.

Are others having this same issue ? Is there a workaround for an IOS device only solution ?

Thanks in advance

OME

I’m seeing the same thing when I try it.  The file downloads corrupted.

Edit:  I figured out it works well from Safari, no "emailing" necessary.  I don't know why the file gets corrupted when downloaded with Alook (my browser of choice) or Chrome.  But Commander Compass opens it fine from Safari:  

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1