Basel airport

pantadeusz

Hello,

There is a high chance I will arrive at Basel airport in the morning and leave in the late evening in the next few weeks. Can anyone advise me whether there are any issues with grabbing a cache in France, then walking to Germany, getting a cache there and then walking to Basel, caching there for a while and walking back to the airport?

I am thinking of the following possible issues:

- the local roads are not pedestrian-friendly

- there are some border issues (I have crossed the Swiss border to France and Liechtenstein before and there were no issues, but I am reading on the airport website that there is a passport check inside the building - not sure why)

-the walk is too long (which I don't think will be an issue for me. Google maps states it's a walk of about 20km, which I can do easily)

Please advise whether there may be any problems with this and, also, post your cache recommendations from the area.

No, I am from Poland. My question was mostly about how easy the route will be for a pedestrian. From google street view I see that in some places there is no pavement, but there is always some space for a pedestrian to walk. But there is no street view on the German part of the route, so maybe someone here could help me with this.

15 minutes ago, pantadeusz said:

For me this looks like it's pretty close.

More than one hour walk. :unsure:

Ok, I understood that you are only at the airport and you want to visit 3 countries there. 2 countries is possible but only France and Switzerland, you don't have to leave the airport.

I've never been to Basel Airport but i've got some friends living in Switzerland which are crossing the borders quite regularly.As long as you have a valid ID or a passport with you there should be no problems.

You can check your designated way with google streetview there you can see if there are any pedestrian sidewalks available.

Maybe it would be better to go by train to Basel an walk from there to germany.

If would expect a hiking distance for about 22km for a nice roundtrip depends on you if this is far or not.

Well in that case i´d suggest public transportation. I´ve never tried it, but it should do the trick cheap, quick an conviniet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_Regional_S-Bahn

Board S1 (green line) in St Louis, get off in Basel SSB (Main Station), change to S6 (red line) towards Zell im Wiesental, and disembarge in Stetten. Et vila, you´re in Germany :)

Edited by DerDiedler
43 minutes ago, pantadeusz said:

Guys... I am grateful that you want to help, but it looks like none of you actually read my questions and you are answering different questions instead...

Taking all the questions and answers I think the problem is solved:

There are no problems at the border if you'll bring your passport along.

You can visit all three countries by foot as you are willing to take a long walk. There are alternatives using the train but you will not need them.

You can visit two of the countries without leaving the airport area.

So what is still missing? If you're willing to walk for 20 kilometres just ignore the posts about using the train because 20 kilometres are too long. As simple as that. :-D

Have fun!

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, pantadeusz said:

but it looks like none of you actually read my questions

oh, we are.

20 hours ago, pantadeusz said:

My question was mostly about how easy the route will be for a pedestrian

To answer without any further thougts: It´s easy!

But don´t blame me when you get run over by a car or truck, since the choosen route follows a high road fpr a decend distace. Seemingly with no pedestrian walk.

So, sorry for thinking further :rolleyes:

Edited by DerDiedler

No no no. Please don't be offended. That was the last thing I was trying to do. I checked the French side of the border on street view.  Here I was hoping to get some info on the German side of the border.

I appreciated all your comments. But I do not want to take trams, trains, buses or anything of the sort.

Thanks again for your time.

Hi,

just don't be to fixed on the shortest route given by google maps, that is just a suggestion. I am sure there are better routes not using those big streets. Try the bike routing instead and it gives you some alternatives (I like the Southeastern one) or ask people at the airport who know the area. If you'll walk 2 or 3 kilometres more it doesn't matter, does it?

Best wishes

Jochen