Have I totally screwed things up?

HOG1

First of all, I am not new to Geocaching but am strictly a weekend warrior that only goes out 6 or 7 times a year (and I seldom log caches). My wife is a premium member so I have access to all the premium stuff.

When we found out that our DeLorme was no longer supported and there was no way to get all the cache info onto it we got a Garmin 64st. 

I put in a 16g SD that I formatted (Fat32) and set up a 'Garmin' file with a 'GPX' subfile under it. 

Now it came time to get the files .... 4 hr and many reboots later I determined that using Garmin Express (yeah I know, the real cachers hate it) and creating a list of everything I may go to I was able to 1) delete all the preloaded caches that were outdated anyway, 2) delete all the preloaded waypoints and 3)send my list(s) to the GPS. I then simply moved them to the SD card 'GPX' folder and it works perfect.  Uses no memory in the unit and it accesses the SD card fine. I tried the pocket query method but after all the aggravation I found that (for my purposes) the PQ gave me nothing that I didn't get from the list. I am able to load multiple lists to the SD and since I keep them on my computer I can delete and add the lists to the Garmin depending on what area I'll be in. 

So, the question ... what am I missing here? Is there some feature the PQ will give me that I just don't realize I'm missing or is this pretty much a good way for people like us who are not that seriously into it to utilize the Garmin?

Oinions appreciated.

Looks like you're doing fine; I'm glad you found a way that works.  Personally I have always used PQs and tried the list method once.  It's not that I didn't like it, just that I didn't see a reason to change the way I was used to.  I don't know if either method gives more info about each cache, e.g. description, hint, logs.  I'd be interested to hear about that too.

3 hours ago, HOG1 said:

So, the question ... what am I missing here? Is there some feature the PQ will give me that I just don't realize I'm missing or is this pretty much a good way for people like us who are not that seriously into it to utilize the Garmin?

Oinions appreciated.

I don't think you're missing anything.  If the method works for you, then that's what matters.

3 hours ago, NanCycle said:

I don't know if either method gives more info about each cache, e.g. description, hint, logs.  I'd be interested to hear about that too.

No difference in content.  They are just different methods to create and transfer a set of caches to a Garmin GPSr.

3 hours ago, HOG1 said:

When we found out that our DeLorme was no longer supported and there was no way to get all the cache info onto it we got a Garmin 64st. 

How old is your Delorme that's it's no longer supported? I can't help you with the Garmin, but I quake when I think how I'm going to have to switch to a garmn after by delorme cable finally gives out. As long as I can do PQs and can copy them to my PN-40 and PN-60, I'm a happy camper.

4 hours ago, HOG1 said:

Oinions appreciated.

There are minor differences between Pocket Queries and Lists sent to a GPS.  One difference is the generated file name.  Features overlap but PQs and Lists each shine in their own way.  If you're using Lists in The Geocaching App, might as well use them with the GPS. But since Lists are sent directly to a GPS, it can be hard to tell what the problem is (GPS or the downloads) when a problem arises.  Pocket Queries are first sent to the PC, and are placed much like a single "GPX File" is from a cache page.  While moving files manually, you can delete old files at that time.  If you're moving files around anyway, either option may be OK.

One consideration is the growing pains.  "Send To Garmin" is new.  It relies on both the Garmin company and Geocaching.com's servers.  It breaks.  It broke several times in recent months.  I use Lists (also Pocket Queries) in The App, and either works in The App even if Send To Garmin isn't working.  I download Pocket Queries to my Garmin Oregon (especially, Pocket Queries made from Lists).  So the entire time that people had various problems with Send To Garmin failing, even when it was broken for me, I continued as always to download and install Pocket Queries without issue.  I don't like fiddling with software (or waiting for the steps to fix software) just to go Geocaching, so I use Pocket Queries. :)

Edited by kunarion

The main difference is that PQs are good for downloading caches in bulk. You can select various criteria and get a resulting file with up to 1000 caches in it. If you're more selective of the caches you seek, using a list and Send to Garmin may be the easiest. Either way works and will get you the same result (caches on your device), so it mainly comes down to whether downloading in bulk is something you need.

• Helpful 1

Thanks for all the help everyone, appreciate it.

34 minutes ago, dprovan said:

How old is your Delorme that's it's no longer supported? I can't help you with the Garmin, but I quake when I think how I'm going to have to switch to a garmn after by delorme cable finally gives out. As long as I can do PQs and can copy them to my PN-40 and PN-60, I'm a happy camper.

My PN40 was 2010. It isn't the problem. My computer hard drive crashed and I lost the plug in to 'Send to GPS'. I can't get the plug in (and a lot of people told me that it's not supported anymore ) so I just replaced the unit. I still use the PN40 but have to manually enter everything. We like the ability to download all the info about the caches and not have to bounce back and forth between the phone and GPS while in the field.

8 hours ago, HOG1 said:

My PN40 was 2010. It isn't the problem. My computer hard drive crashed and I lost the plug in to 'Send to GPS'. I can't get the plug in (and a lot of people told me that it's not supported anymore ) so I just replaced the unit. I still use the PN40 but have to manually enter everything. We like the ability to download all the info about the caches and not have to bounce back and forth between the phone and GPS while in the field.

You can copy PQs to the PN-40 using the cable as long as you have the "latest" firmware (from 2012 or so?). You can tell the PN-40 to connect up like a USB drive and then copy the PQ using a normal file copy.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:45 PM, HOG1 said:

I may be wrong but I thought the Garmin 64 had the ability to get cache information into it. 

7 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

I may be wrong but I thought the Garmin 64 had the ability to get cache information into it. 

That's correct, it does. Both the 62 series and 64 series are paperless having all cache info including logs. My first was a 60csx that was not paperless. It only contained cache name, GC code, and coordinates.