Garmin E-trex setup

Hi all,

I'm new to the Geo-Caching world and only came across it whilst listening to a conversation between other people.

I have an old Garmin E-trex. Dunno what model it is, it has 12 channel GPS printed on the front of it.  I used to use it with the Ordinance Survey maps in the UK a very long time ago, so have it set up to use the British Grid system.  I notice most of the caches are listed in the other grid system.  Is there a forum post that will tell me what to set the E-Trex too to be able to use it with Geo-Caching.com.

thanks 

Oz 

Just load the geocaches onto your unit. There is no need to change your settings.

Data files (geocaches, waypooints, etc.) and the unit itself are internally using the decimal degree lat/lon format (ie: 42.12345, -1.2345). The Garmin unit itself translates those coords to show you coords as OS coords in the display.

Hans

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, HHL said:

Just load the geocaches onto your unit. There is no need to change your settings.

Data files (geocaches, waypooints, etc.) and the unit itself are internally using the decimal degree lat/lon format (ie: 42.12345, -1.2345). The Garmin unit itself translates those coords to show you coords as OS coords in the display.

Hans

thats good to know, now i have to turn my home upside down to find the cable or search the web for a replacement.

1 hour ago, HHL said:

Hans

How does one load a geocache into the old yellow eTrex with the funky proprietary cable?  First problem is finding the cable, second a PC with a serial port. Then one has to find legacy software that supports the pre USB Garmin device.  I never had a Yellow eTrex but I did have 12 channel Garmin of a similar vintage.  The only practical way to get a waypoint into the device was to mark a waypoint and edit the coordinates to the desired value.  Your post suggests I missed an easier way to get the waypoint into the GPS.

I'm using either Garmin MapSource or GSAK for exporting to a Garmin 76CSx. Both apps will work with this eTrex as well. Yes, the adapter for connecting this very old eTrex might be an issue.

Hans

Edited by HHL
8 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

How does one load a geocache into the old yellow eTrex with the funky proprietary cable?  First problem is finding the cable, second a PC with a serial port. Then one has to find legacy software that supports the pre USB Garmin device.  I never had a Yellow eTrex but I did have 12 channel Garmin of a similar vintage.  The only practical way to get a waypoint into the device was to mark a waypoint and edit the coordinates to the desired value.  Your post suggests I missed an easier way to get the waypoint into the GPS.

First of all, the old yellow eTrex never supported 'geocaching' gpx files, it simply supports waypoints in gpx format. (see specifications here.)

There are many applications that can send waypoints to the device, provided you have the correct serial data cable and a connection to your PC running the software. GSAK and EasyGPS are popular options, as well as many others. Maybe check the Software page for the eTrex 10 here.

37 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

There are many applications that can send waypoints to the device, provided you have the correct serial data cable and a connection to your PC running the software. GSAK and EasyGPS are popular options, as well as many others. Maybe check the Software page for the eTrex 10 here.

The eTrex 10 is the bottom line of the “modern” Garmin products; systems that use USB connectivity and support mass storage mode (they appear as a hard drive in the computer OS.) As such looking for e10 software will not help to solve problems with the older serial port Garmins like the one the OP asked about.  AC, I know you are aware of this but I wanted to clarify it for the newer user who is struggling through the GPS maze. 

As as an aside, earlier I mentioned possible problems with the serial port cord. I vaguely recall trying to get such a device to work with a USB adapter but was stymied by lack of a COM port driver for the USB. This was many years ago so I could have some details wrong. 

10 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

The eTrex 10 is the bottom line of the “modern” Garmin products; systems that use USB connectivity and support mass storage mode (they appear as a hard drive in the computer OS.) As such looking for e10 software will not help to solve problems with the older serial port Garmins like the one the OP asked about.  AC, I know you are aware of this but I wanted to clarify it for the newer user who is struggling through the GPS maze. 

As as an aside, earlier I mentioned possible problems with the serial port cord. I vaguely recall trying to get such a device to work with a USB adapter but was stymied by lack of a COM port driver for the USB. This was many years ago so I could have some details wrong. 

Several of the software titles listed on the page I suggested DO WORK with the eTrex Basic GPSr. But certainly, not all of them. Of course, all one has to do is open each programs home page and read what it can and cant do. I just wanted to offer the user a list to start, and I even named two programs I know support their GPSr.

I recently acquired two of the older serial cable Garmin GPSr for 'research' purposes, and I have the cord, but have yet yo connect them to my PC, so I guess that may be my first project to find out how easy or difficult that may be!

Be careful mixing device generations. Garmin has two completely different lines called "eTrex" for example. Any serial device doesn't really support GPX files in the sense that a geocacher thinks about it with the eTrex 10, 20, 30 family.

GPSBabel still supports those serial Garmins, even as crazy as they make me. That means that GSAK and anything else using GPSBabel for comms should still work with them.

Garmin had two generations of serial cables: the round 4-pin and the one with sliding blades on the edge. Serial eTrex had the latter, but the GPS 12, V, and others used the older one that OP is describing. The cables and USB adapters can probably be found in the junk drawers of locals as easily as they can be found on eBay. There were zillions of those devices sold around the turn of the century. Be prepared to find generic/unlabeled USB devices finicky on modern operating systems.  Remember that the old serial devices are "Garmin Protocol" while the newer ones are "USB Mass Storage".

Also think hard about your time/grief investment: don't spend $20 on a USB adapter and $20 on a cable and then 17 hours of head-banging to make them work if you think you'd be happier with the $100 newer models that will Just Work with geocaching and provide a much more pleasant experience on the trail. Again, hand-me-downs from locals will get you far. A ten year old Oregon 300 is a MUCH better geocaching device than an original yellow serial eTrex, even though that was the "bread & butter" device of geocaching for a LONG time.

• Upvote 1