How to make a projection geocache?

FREDskorpset

46 minutes ago, FREDskorpset said:

recipe for making a geocache that requires projection?

mmm, not quite sure what you're asking.

Geocaching toolbox  will give you bearing and distance and midpoint from one set of coords to another. image.png.5ffa228913561b9d1023a9eb17759e7a.png

When distances are modest, I just navigate from given coords to next set by using a reverse bearing. Ie, I keep the original goto, walk away from it the given distance, on the reverse of the bearing provided.

2 hours ago, FREDskorpset said:

Does anyone have a simple (or advanced) recipe for making a geocache that requires projection?

Good question because I have seen caches where CO did not know how to do projections correctly and used some self invented method which lead to totally wrong position.

A typical mistake is to use a tool which is made for some other coordinate system as WGS84 which is always used for geocaches. You can see this "Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum" at the end of every cache page.

To all surprise some well known tools do not follow this default datum. Once a CO was really surprised when he noticed that the deviation was greater than allowed cache saturation 161m or 0,1 miles. When you use correct tools the error is always insignificantly small. For example this tool https://www.geocachingtoolbox.com/index.php?lang=en&page=lineIntersection does not calculate intersections using WGS84. You can verify this by checking the results using this tool https://www.geocachingtoolbox.com/index.php?lang=en&page=distanceBearingMidpoint which does.

• Upvote 1

There might be issues with the understanding of the TO's wording "making" as this word might be meaning:

A. create such a cache or

B. solve such a cache.*

I tend to understand it as A.

Hans

* at least used by people that are not native English speakers.

Edited by HHL