No longer have TB, owner won't reclaim it.

SoHotImCool

Hi.  Some time ago I found a travel bug outside a cache. I didn't know where it'd come from so I emailed the bug's owner. They gave me their address, and I posted it back home for them.

Despite 2 reminders, the owner still hasn't marked the bug as grabbed, so it still looks like I have it, even though I have proof in an email that they got it back.

What do I do? It looks like I've kept this bug, and I don't want others to think I have.

Any ideas welcomed. Thanks :)

Edited by SoHotImCool
Typo
5 minutes ago, SoHotImCool said:

Hi.  Some time ago I found a travel bug outside a cache. I didn't know where it'd come from so I emailed the bug's owner. They gave me their address, and I posted it back home for them.

Despite 2 reminders, the owner still hasn't marked the bug as grabbed, so it still looks like I have it, even though I have proof in an email that they got it back.

What do I do? It looks like I've kept this bug, and I don't want others to think I have.

Log it as dropped into one of your own caches, then you can mark it missing.   I see yours are all archived, but I think you can do it anyway. 

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, SoHotImCool said:

You could make a new Note log that it arrived back with the Owner, who may log it at some time.  If you try to be creative with the TB logs, you'll be right back here.

Next time, place a Trackable into a cache (instead of mailing it), and you won't have this issue. B)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

The TO hasn't entered the site or cached since '16, but responded to email.

- But why did you have to notify them?   There's a number of ways to "fix" a trackable, the easiest to "Grab" it .  

Both prior answers are options...

I'd drop it in one of our archived hides and mark it missing, with a note that it's in the hands of the owner, and you're the one who mailed it to them.

- You can write a note without the code.

Next time, I'd "fix" whatever the issue would be so it'd be in my possession, and simply drop it in the next decent cache I find like any other trackable.  :)

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, SoHotImCool said:

I only posted it back because when I checked online, the goal was for it to return home. There aren't that many caches round here big enough for it, most of them here are small, micro and nano.

Cool.  You can mention that in a Note log. :)

It's a little unusual to mail TBs.  They travel cache-to-cache.  It only requires one suitable cache to place it.  If something other than that is planned to occur, both parties, taker and owner, must first agree on a great plan.  Once they agree, the plan can be posted, so everyone's on the same page.

But it is very popular to manipulate logs and then try more of that when the first attempt goes awry.  You may continue to fiddle around with logs to make everything tidy, but it will leave a mess anyway.  At the very least, make a new log stating what steps you took that now makes it look like you don't have the TB.  Otherwise, the confusion remains.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1