A TB collector

Brooklyn51

I had a TB that I released on a visit to Florida way back in 2011. It traveled around for a short while until it was picked up by a cacher who brought it back to Florida in 2012 where it has been in his possession ever since. Despite my polite requests to him to please release it back into circulation and his repeated assurances that he will as "soon as he finds a suitable cache", it has remained with him. Over time, because Life has a way of distracting us with more serious matters, I sort of gave up hope on seeing my TB travel again. Recently, though, looking through my short list of TBs, I saw this one again. Curious, I also looked up this cacher's profile and without much surprise, I saw that he had collected several TBs besides my own and has never released any of them. Is there anything that can be done? Would Headquarters get involved it this? Would locking my TB down matter in any way? Should I just let it go?

Edited by Brooklyn51

If the Person Holding your TB has 126 "Founds" then he is out of the game since 2014. I think you have more than likely lost your TB. GS-HQ normally dont get involved in such things. I would just let it go, or you could make a copy of the copy-tag Laminate it and send it on its way again. I have seen a few tags like this.

Added: It Looks as if he still has 4 TB´s / Coin that dont belong to him

Edited by speakers-corner
9 hours ago, Brooklyn51 said:

I had a TB that I released on a visit to Florida way back in 2011. It traveled around for a short while until it was picked up by a cacher who brought it back to Florida in 2012 where it has been in his possession ever since. Despite my polite requests to him to please release it back into circulation and his repeated assurances that he will as "soon as he finds a suitable cache", it has remained with him. Over time, because Life has a way of distracting us with more serious matters, I sort of gave up hope on seeing my TB travel again. Recently, though, looking through my short list of TBs, I saw this one again. Curious, I also looked up this cacher's profile and without much surprise, I saw that he had collected several TBs besides my own and has never released any of them. Is there anything that can be done? Would Headquarters get involved it this? Would locking my TB down matter in any way? Should I just let it go?

You actually only have one currently (hopefully) active, the duck tales given as freebies for the promotion. 

I thought we were unlucky...

None of your other trackables have been moved, the longest since '10, the last in 1/18.

I'd mark all but the duck tales as missing, and either start over (taking the chance of this happening again), or use one as a "Discover only" signature trackable for folks spotting you on the trail or events.     :)

The site doesn't get involved in these often , maybe in cases of a lot of trackables and a single hoarder (to lock their account).

Edited by cerberus1

Along with your latest (non-moving) trackable (endeavor), the holder visited his own cache with 14  others, all  belonging to other TOs, before it was  archived by a Reviewer.   Most (if they even still have them) in their possession since '15.

No finds since January, but they have "visited the site" just last month.

Since they either don't realize they're someone else's  property, or it's on purpose, maybe a notice of the situation to HQ might at least give him an email for a learning experience in trackable 101.   They get mad and pitch them (again, if they even still have them anymore...) , they were missing for years anyway.

It's "Contact Us" at the bottom of most pages.

There's a lot of hoarders, some believe it happens innocently...

Thanks for your perspective. I guess now I have to decide if the matter is even worth bringing to HQ's attention given how much time has already passed and as you've pointed out, there's a fair to good chance he doesn't even actually still have any of the TBs anymore. On the other hand, he *is* still active, more or less and has been around for a long time, so he should know what the rules are. Although it's unlikely to matter much, maybe one more message from me before I contact HQ would be worth a shot. 

32 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

I'd just go ahead and mark them all missing,  then reuse the tracking numbers.   I do this all the time. 

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I'd mark all but the duck tales as missing, and either start over (taking the chance of this happening again), or use one as a "Discover only" signature trackable for folks spotting you on the trail or events.     :)

I may very well do that and thanks for that suggestion. I guess one of the reasons I asked this in the forum was feeling frustration for what should be a fun side of caching ruined by someone like this guy. At least, in this case, we know who it is. I was just wondering if saying something to HQ might possibly shake not only mine but the other hoarded TBs loose as well. I realize it's a long shot though.

7 minutes ago, Brooklyn51 said:

I may very well do that and thanks for that suggestion. I guess one of the reasons I asked this in the forum was feeling frustration for what should be a fun side of caching ruined by someone like this guy. At least, in this case, we know who it is.

Sometimes the taker places them all into a cache, and now the next taker also mishandles the TBs.  You never know without proper logs.  Always make prompt and accurate TB logs.  If I were HQ, I'd have that text on billboards all over The App and The Site.

8 minutes ago, Brooklyn51 said:

I was just wondering if saying something to HQ might possibly shake not only mine but the other hoarded TBs loose as well. I realize it's a long shot though.

You do not want the severe disappointment of knowing how "HQ" handles this.  Imagine the guy in your story who has your TBs, and now make him a corporation.  What Would That Guy Do. :ph34r: