SD Card for 64st

HOG1

14 minutes ago, HOG1 said:

I just receive a Garmin 64st. The manual/guide gives no size limit for the SD, just says insert it. Is there a limit (8,16,32?). Any recommendations for what I'll need?

I've read that people use 64GB SD cards just fine, maybe that's the limit. :)

Be sure whatever card you use, that it's formatted for "FAT32".

3 minutes ago, HOG1 said:

Will the Garmin format it or shall I do it on the computer?

Do it on the computer.  The file manager should show "FAT32".  If not, you may need special software if Windows file manager can't handle it.  That depends on the memory size.  At 16GB, you will begin to reach the limits of what your GPS can handle for data.  But with 32 or 64GB, you may use the space for other folders not actually being used by the GPS, just handy for space.  Mine is I think 4GB, and that's been fine, including its routable street maps of the USA.  If it were a slightly bigger card, I could use it for Geocache GPX space.  That can be pretty nice if the GPS acts up in the field, since you can reset the device without losing those "external" GPX files.  Just depends on what you intend to do.

27 minutes ago, HOG1 said:

Thanks for the help ... that explains it pretty well.

Cool! :P

I checked my SD card just now.  Almost 3GB is for routable street maps of the US, so about 1GB remains.  I've sometimes taken pictures with my Oregon 650T, so a little extra space is handy.  4GB has been plenty for me.  The biggest "SD cards" I own are 8GB, and they aren't Micro SD.  They're for my digital camera :).  I have up to 64GB USB thumb drives (and bigger portable hard drives).  All of my solid state drives are FAT32 from the factory, so I guess 64GB is where things may change.  I bought a "1TB USB thumbdrive" on ebay for $10, but its actual usable space was 8GB, go figure. B)

The "T" in 650T (and in 64ST) means pre-loaded Garmin TOPO maps of the US.  That may be one less map to load, if the pre-loaded map is OK.

Edited by kunarion

I have an 8GB micro SD card in my old 62S and that was fine, far bigger than anything I wanted to put on it. In my new Oregon 700 I  have a 16GB one as that was the smallest I could find in the shop so I'd expect that'd also be fine in a 64S (and probably the 62S as well although I haven't tried it). No formatting required as they come preformatted as FAT32. You just need to create the Garmin\GPX folders on it.

Edited by barefootjeff