Meet and greet

Goldenwattle

I see travellers having meet and greet events in countries they are visiting. If I visit a new country and want to have a meet and greet, who is the reviewer? Is it my local reviewer, or the one in the country I am visiting? What if that country has no reviewer? And can I log my own attendance to get a smilie for that country?

Hi Goldenwattle,

the responsible reviewer is the one from the country you're going to host the event, not you local reviewer. If there's no reviewer in this country I guess there will be one from the surrounding countries.

And can I log my own attendance to get a smilie for that country?

It's the same as hosting an event in your home country. Yes, you can log an "attended" on your own event. (click)

Best regards, fraggle

• Upvote 1
On 8/4/2018 at 8:54 AM, fraggle_[DE] said:

the responsible reviewer is the one from the country you're going to host the event, not you local reviewer. If there's no reviewer in this country I guess there will be one from the surrounding countries.

There are some countries which don't have an in-country reviewer.  There is at least one reviewer responsible for areas in which there isn't a dedicated review but doesn't necessarily live "near" each country.    I've found caches on different continents that were published by the same reviewer.  

On 8/4/2018 at 8:19 AM, Goldenwattle said:

And can I log my own attendance to get a smilie for that country?

You can, but personally I try to find a cache (at least one) when I'm visiting a new country.   Creating an event (for which you may end up being the only attendee) so that you can get credit for a find in a new country feels too much like gaming the system to me.  Unfortunately that has meant that there have been several countries I have visited but don't have credit for a find.

2 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There are some countries which don't have an in-country reviewer.  There is at least one reviewer responsible for areas in which there isn't a dedicated review but doesn't necessarily live "near" each country.    I've found caches on different continents that were published by the same reviewer.  

You can, but personally I try to find a cache (at least one) when I'm visiting a new country.   Creating an event (for which you may end up being the only attendee) so that you can get credit for a find in a new country feels too much like gaming the system to me.  Unfortunately that has meant that there have been several countries I have visited but don't have credit for a find.

There are no local caches to find. Those countries where there are caches I always find some of them.

13 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

While I share the same philosophy about finding caches in countries I visit, I would not let a lack of caches stop me from hosting an event. You calling it gaming the system. I call it using ingenuity.

On 8/5/2018 at 8:40 AM, Goldenwattle said:

There are no local caches to find. Those countries where there are caches I always find some of them.

Define "local".  The first time I visited Tanzania a driver picked me (and a muggle) from the airport and drove us 3 hours to a small town.  There were no caches along the way.  The day after my meetings there we hired the driver to take us to a game park (about an hour and half away) where there was a cache at the entrance to the park.   It would have been a lot easier (and less expensive) to host an event while I was there but I got to find a physical cache and watched a small family of elephants walk by about 200 feet inside the park from GZ.

The only country I've ever visited as a geocacher where there were no caches to find was North Korea.  I don't believe I would have gotten an event published on the DPRK side of the negotiating table at the Joint Security Area.

I see the qualifier "local,"  though.  So I'd also ask:

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Define "local"

3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Fiji. Although there are about 20 caches spread around the country, there are none in the capital or the other place I will visit on my (first) cruise. I won't have time to get to any of the existing caches. I am also travelling with a person with limited mobility.

We have cruised to Fiji and it is tricky trying to find a cache unless you forego excursions and hire a taxi to take you around. We only found one in Fiji and it was near the entry to a resort hotel that our tour stopped at for lunch. In our experience, with 14 cruises in the Pacific, US, Asia and other places, we have only once noticed another cacher on the same cruise and that was only because we saw their logs post cruise. We never met them. Good luck.

12 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Fiji. Although there are about 20 caches spread around the country, there are none in the capital or the other place I will visit on my (first) cruise. I won't have time to get to any of the existing caches. I am also travelling with a person with limited mobility.

Well, this one published today in Suva, so you may be set.  (Maybe you'll even be FTF.)

Edited by hzoi
3 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Well, this one published today in Suva, so you may be set.  (Maybe you'll even be FTF.)

Brilliant, although I am not arriving until September, so I doubt I will get the FTF. The museum is now on my to visit list.

I remember when I planned to visit the Chatham Islands, there were two caches that had been there for about eight months with no finds. I was sweating on getting the FTFs. Someone beat me to them by two weeks. However, another cache was published while I was there - much to my great surprise - and I did get FTF on that one. (Although it was only an Earthcache, so not as exciting if it had been an actual cache.)

1 minute ago, Goldenwattle said:
10 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Brilliant, although I am not arriving until September, so I doubt I will get the FTF. The museum is now on my to visit list.

I remember when I planned to visit the Chatham Islands, there were two caches that had been there for about eight months with no finds. I was sweating on getting the FTFs. Someone beat me to them by two weeks. However, another cache was published while I was there - much to my great surprise - and I did get FTF on that one. (Although it was only an Earthcache, so not as exciting if it had been an actual cache.)

Happy to help.  Perhaps with additional encouragement that CO may place some more.

Re your Chatham Islands trip, reminds me of when I was first to find on this one.  I too was wondering whether I'd be first and was pleasantly surprised I was (and second to find on the other physical cache there).  We were on foot, so I had to pass on the earthcache.   Apparently Iwo Jima is not yet a geocaching destination.

5 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Happy to help.  Perhaps with additional encouragement that CO may place some more.

Re your Chatham Islands trip, reminds me of when I was first to find on this one.  I too was wondering whether I'd be first and was pleasantly surprised I was (and second to find on the other physical cache there).  We were on foot, so I had to pass on the earthcache.   Apparently Iwo Jima is not yet a geocaching destination.

The cache you found sounds more physically difficult than those I found on the Chatham Islands. For starters, the Chatham Island are not quite as hilly...or at least where the caches were.

1 minute ago, Goldenwattle said:

The cache you found sounds more physically difficult than those I found on the Chatham Islands. For starters, the Chatham Island are not quite as hilly...or at least where the caches were.

It was about an hour and a half to get from the flight line to the top of Mount Suribachi.  But I think we had it pretty easy compared to the Marines who had to fight their way up.

• Upvote 2