recommend an inexpensive gps

I have been using an Explorist GC for several years, it will no longer let me download geocaches.  I can still manually key in waypoints but I hate doing that.  I need a new gps!!  I only want to use it for geocaching.  I'm not tech. savvy so easy to use out of the box is best.  I'm thinking of buying the explorist 310.   What do you think?

1 hour ago, pettysearch said:

I have been using an Explorist GC for several years, it will no longer let me download geocaches.

What method are you trying to use that no longer works?  If you are trying to use "Send to GPS" it may be that method that's not working.   Does anyone have more knowledge specifically about the Explorist CG as to whether that model is the issue?

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, pettysearch said:

I have been using an Explorist GC for several years, it will no longer let me download geocaches.  I can still manually key in waypoints but I hate doing that.  I need a new gps!!  I only want to use it for geocaching.  I'm not tech. savvy so easy to use out of the box is best.  I'm thinking of buying the explorist 310.   What do you think?

I think the eXplorist 310 (which I use when I'm not using my smartphone) is essentially the same as the eXplorist GC, at least as far as downloading geocaches goes.

As NanCycle wrote, what are you doing to download geocaches that no longer works?

After I have reviewed the specific geocache I click the button "send to gps"  or if I'm on the geocaching map page to see exactly where a specific geocache is, I click the button "send to gps".  My computer does not detect my Explorist GC or it does detect it but nothing happens when I click download.  I tried updating my pc and it gives me an error message and to see their product website (Magellan).  I have downloaded MagellanCommunicator no change.

1 hour ago, pettysearch said:

After I have reviewed the specific geocache I click the button "send to gps"  or if I'm on the geocaching map page to see exactly where a specific geocache is, I click the button "send to gps".  My computer does not detect my Explorist GC or it does detect it but nothing happens when I click download.  I tried updating my pc and it gives me an error message and to see their product website (Magellan).  I have downloaded MagellanCommunicator no change.

"Send To GPS" is going away.  Read all about that in thousands of threads in this Forum.  Really, there's a lot of detail already in other threads.

You can place a GPX file onto a Magellan Explorist GC by clicking the "GPX File" button on a cache page.  Save that file into the Geocaches folder on the connected Magellan.  It's almost exactly how "Send To GPS" worked, except that you get more control over file movement.

As a Premium Member, you can also use "Pocket Queries".  This thread mentions it how that can work.  But if you see something about how to use "Send To GPS" remember that "Send To GPS" probably won't work anymore.

Edited by kunarion
8 hours ago, kunarion said:
9 hours ago, pettysearch said:

"Send To GPS" is going away.

"Send To GPS" should have gone away a long time ago.  It only works if one is running the right browser and the right version and only causes confusion for those that assume that the link will work.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

"Send To GPS" should have gone away a long time ago.  It only works if one is running the right browser and the right version and only causes confusion for those that assume that the link will work.  

Yeah.  I can't emphasize enough that there's a lot of detail already in other threads. "Send To GPS" has been discussed over and over.  So everyone, enjoy reading all about it, and try the "GPX File" button instead. :)

30 minutes ago, pettysearch said:

Ok I'm going to need more help.  I chose a geocache I liked, clicked on the gpx button, it was downloaded onto my computer, opened it and I was sent to windows media center huh?  It does not show up on my gps.  I really appreciate this help.

Copy the file from the folder where it was downloaded, into your GPS to the "Geocaches" folder.

If you don't know how to copy files, here's a video with general instructions on how files are moved or copied.  Once you're familiar with that, you may download a GPX file directly from a cache page into the GPS "Geocaches" folder.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, NanCycle said:

Yes, you don't want to open the file on your computer, just copy it to your GPS.

Yes, if you try to open the file it's going to try to open the file with an application associated with a file with a .gpx file extension.  I you have not yet associated an application for that file type (e.g. GSAK, EasyGPS) it's going to go to the media center or some other application that can be used to associate the file.  

When a GPS is connected to the computer, it will appear as a new "drive".  Windows Explorer can be used to copy the file from your computer to that drive.

Here I am again still trying to get my geocaches that I downloaded from the geocaching website from my computer to show up on my Magellan Explorist GC gps after clicking the gpx button.  These geocaches are in a folder supposedly (I can see them) in my Magellan Drive on my computer labeled geocaches.  But they don't show up on my gps.  I can copy that folder on to my computer windows 07, but I  didn't think you guys recommended doing that.  What am I missing?? 

I'm with the original poster  an enjoyed the Send to GPX button.  Can't find another way to download caches now to my Magellan Explorist 710 that actually gives street turn by turns to the cache.

I do have a Smart phone and use it as well but the GPS works much better in the woods and when I am a long way from civilization.