Hello Eugene!

Team Tired Feet

Hello everyone!

Team Tired Feet (cut.throat.red and Krispy Kremer) will be moving from Lexington, KY to Eugene, OR in the middle of August.

Krispy is in Eugene this week trying to find us a place to live and snagging a few caches in her spare time. Be on the lookout for her because she would love to meet some local geocachers, and she has a couple of travelbugs to drop off.

If anyone has travelbugs that need to head back east, let us know and she may be able to pick some up.

Thanks,

cut.throat.red

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Krispy called last night to tell me that Eugene is Beautiful, but really hot right now. She was sweating while walking all over town yesterday to find us a place to live. I think she's going to rent a bike today.

Let me know if anyone needs to send travelbugs east!

cut.throat.red

Welcome to Eugene! We are a group of friendly cachers. We have gatherings about every month or so at different places (like pizza parlors and so on).

Let us know what will work for you and we will host a social gathering??? We were just saying we need to do one in the next month or so (the last one was on July 11th). Now, we will have a theme- Meet team tired feet!! icon_smile.gif

~Amy of FOF (familyO'foxes)

P.S. we have a yahoo group for our area. EVC

go to that link and then you will see an area to sign up for Emerald Valley Cachers.

AKGAT.gif

Thanks for the welcome!

If everything goes well, Krispy (Melissa) will be returning to Lexington on Saturday with keys to our new home. After that, we will be packing and leaving Lexington on the 15th of August and arriving in Eugene on the 20th. Perhaps a day or so after that would be good for an event cache.

Yesterday, the hunt for the apartment wasn't going very well. I won't be talking to her tonight until later, so I don't know how it went today.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to look for nice clean apartments in a safe area of town? Near campus would be nice, since I'm attending grad school this fall, but not entirely necessary.

Thanks again for the welcome, and any other info that may help our search!

cut.throat.red (Raellyn)

Team Tired Feet

quote:
Originally posted by Team Tired Feet:

Does anyone have suggestions on where to look for nice clean apartments in a safe area of town? Near campus would be nice, since I'm attending grad school this fall, but not entirely necessary.

Stay away from the campus area if you're a grad student. West University, in my opinion, is strictly for out-of-state freshmen that don't mind paying 20-35% above market for living space. The same goes for anything near Autzen. All of those early- to mid-nineties apartment 'communities' are for sorority girls and japanese exchange students (not that i have anything wrong with either of those two categories. Right, planned parenthood?).

I moved out of eugene in '99, so this advice may be a little outdated, but I think that the best way to find affordable housing in eugene can be summed up in these easy-to-follow instructions:

1)Go to that bus-plaza thing on Olive or Willamette street.

2)Choose a bus at random.

3)Get on said bus.

4)After it starts moving, start your stopwatch.

5)After exactly seven minutes passes, get off the bus.

6a)If you find yourself in Springfield, start over.

6b)If you're still in Eugene, look around.

Now is the best time to look for an apartment in Eugene, because the students are still using their trust-fund money to learn how to kite-board. Three weeks from now, you're screwed.

Stay away from anything that is offering a 'special.' For example, if someplace is offering a month of free rent, turn your tail and head elsewhere, because there must be a REASON why they have to offer you such a seemingly irresitable concession. A good deal turns into a nightmare within 15 days if you have to sit on the toilet a certain way without falling through the floor.

By wary of anything managed by Spyglass Property Management. Although I personally have never rented from them, I know that were at least two websites dedicated to their lack of, um, attention when i finally escaped from that town.

That cute little two-bedroom place on West 18th and Cityview? I don't think so. There's probably a reason that they still have the avacado fridge.

The best deal in town--when i left, anyway--was in Whittaker. If you can overlook that adult shop on 7th, then you can find a sweet deal that isn't too far from campus.

And you should totally hang out with the eugene cachers. Most especially, you should feed them a lot of tequila, because the flaming marshmallows will follow. With hilarious results!

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be passing it on to Melissa today.

Yesterday was not such a good day for the apartment search according to her, so maybe today will be better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. TIGHTLY. There are only three days left for her to find us a place to rent. I'm starting to get nervous. icon_eek.gif

It sounds like the folks out there are a fun bunch, but we'll be bringing bourbon instead of tequila. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again!

cut.throat.red & Krispy Kremer

printmaker ------- donut queen

I talked to Melissa just now, and today was not a good day. She is really sunburned from riding her rental bike around town all day. She keeps using sunblock, but I think it's not doing her any good. She loves the city and says that it's really beautiful out there. However, she's really hoping for a cloudy day to rest her sunburned skin.

She has a couple of leads on apartments, but can't get them to answer the phone numbers that they have listed with the ads. Tomorrow she is going to try Oregone's advice and head farther out of town.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed, because I'm getting really nervous about this apartment search. I may have to start the "we will find a home" chant very soon.

cut.throat.red

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

And you should totally hang out with the eugene cachers. Most especially, you should feed them a lot of tequila, because the flaming marshmallows will follow. With hilarious results!

Oh yes, thank you for the reminder, Oregone! I have those pictures! I put them in a scrapbook of the event. icon_wink.gif

So, far my kids haven't tried setting bubble gum on fire and catching in their mouth....but I'm sure the day will come. icon_razz.gif

I will have to bring those pictures to the next event!!! icon_biggrin.gif

~Amy of FoF

AKGAT.gif

Here's a place that looks pretty cheap. It's pretty far from campus, but there's a bike path most of the way there.

This place is huge for the money, but i'd get pretty sick of riding my bike down 18th every day. It would be pretty sweet and easy for bus commutes though.

This looks like a nice affordable close-in house. It's affordable, and the neighborhood is on the upswing.

This house seems okay. Problem with this one is that they don't accept pets. It would be a total downhill ride TO school, and a total uphill ride FROM school.

Here's a duplex that would be an easy bike ride to school, but it's kinda close to the railyard for my taste. Cheap, though.

AVOID section 8 properties, even if you qualify. Nothing against poor people, but let's be honest here: You don't need to be tripping over a Wal-Mart tricycle on your way down the stairs.

In my previous post, i sorta inferred that springfield isn't cool. That wasn't my intention, exclusively. Many places in springfield are actually quite tolerable, especially if you take into account that you can't even smoke in bars in eugene anymore, thanks to whoever is responsible for that law--be they gun-toting conservatives or homosexual liberals. Either way, there are some good springfield spots just over the bridge past glenwood. Take a left on Mill and go up about 6 or 7 blocks.

Eugene/Springfield has the lucky distinction of having more bike bridges than car bridges over their various forks of rivers. So no matter where you live, you can feel comfortable in knowing that you have an easy commute.

And i'm standing by my original stance: Bring the eugene cachers tequila. With any luck, you can break their arm and they'll still go all weekend.

quote:

http://www.bell-realty.com/search_details.cfm?ID=376 section 8 properties, even if you qualify. Nothing against poor people, but let's be honest here: You don't need to be tripping over a Wal-Mart tricycle on your way down the stairs.

In my previous post, i sorta inferred that springfield isn't cool.

WOW! First time reader and first time poster, geniustara, here. I am so far from being a Liberal and I am so sick of public schools policies. Policies such as not being able to have a Thanksgiving or Christmas party, due to the potential to offend other. Well, hey I am offended that I CAN'T say Christmas. I am so tired that most of what one could say MIGHT offend somebody. So in light of that, it very much surprises me that I am so ah...what would be the word...so excited about this post.

Oregone, I think your posts when you find are darn funny. My first date with FM I looked through his book just to see if I could find anything else that you wrote. They were that funny.

I feel so strongly about what has been written here and that it is taken as funny that I have to respond. I am not attacking you or your words. I am going to tell a little auto biographical story that nobody but a few members of my family know.

When my mom chose her first husband, she chose very badly. He was an abusive alcoholic that liked to rip out her hair and make her bleed. Hey, we lived in Springfield and at times, public assistance was called upon. So far we are fittng right in. After eleven years of me watching this, my mom finally left him for good.

She married another complete loser. This one was an alcoholic, but instead of taking enjoyment on hitting her, he liked to hit me instead. It took her thirteen years to leave him.

During this thirteen years, he decided working was not for him. My mom tried to support us, but she refused to put me, my brother, or my sister in daycare. We ended up living in section 8 housing. We had government help with our groceries. My mom worked long and hard hours, but it was not enough to do it all.

I will tell all of you that there were no tricycles to trip over. My face was always clean, as were my clothes and hair. You would have never know that there was a problem by looking at me or our house.

Today, I am divorced with two kids myself. I am very proud to say that I have made it all on my own with no governmental help. However, had that help not been available to my mother when I was a child, I can't imagine where or what I would be today.

I get very defensive when comments such as this are made, because they are about people that none of us know. They are about my mom. You just don't do that.

quote:
Originally posted by geniustara:

(snip)

You just don't do that.

I'm actually going to try to respond to this, despite what logic and proportion tell me.

Firstly, I must reiterate that i feel there is nothing wrong with Springfield, Oregon. I have many good experiences with Springfield, although most of them are so off-topic that they don't even belong in found-logs, much less forum posts. Not to mention that a few of them haven't passed the necessary seven years for the statute of limitations.

Secondly, by grouping all residents of Springfield and/or all poor people together in one stereotypical tricycle-strewn, Wal-Mart-shopping group, i may have non-purposely overlooked all of the blue-collar, triumph-over-adversity types that make milepost 194 what it is today: A diverse, multi-cultural community of many backgrounds that all contribute to society in their own special way.

My only excuse for my reprehensible post is as follows: In my feeble attempt to be both funny and helpful toward new people moving to the Eugene/Springfield area, i thought i'd bring some low-brow humor into my representation of the area in order to seem lighthearted and approachable. Since i am familiar with both the real estate markets and the general lifestyle of Eugene/Springfield, I couldn't help but offer my relative expertise, but i could have done so in a more courteous, professional, and forum-worthy manner. I can only offer you my sincerest apologies. If you're not too busy watching Jenny Jones reruns, rushing off to QFC for 40-ouncers of Pabst Blue Ribbon and generic-brand dog food, or converting the defunct wheel-free 1962 dodge pick-up in your backyard into a third bedroom, maybe you can find the time to forgive me for my insensitivity. [emoticon squared]