Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vaporizz

Caching Backpack

So I recently purchased a 'tactical' backpack off amazon for roughly 35$ (obviously a lower tier quality pack) but seems to be pretty handy for caching day trips.

LeisonTac Military Tactical Backpack

I was just curious what packs/rucks you guys were running with for your caching adventures!

Feel free to drop your setup down below!

- Vaporizz

LeisonTac.jpg

I use this one made by the surfing company Billabong. It has a built-in lunchbox in the bottom for those longer hikes and a velcroed pencil case inside for my collection of pens and pencils as well as being a secure place to put my house keys. In the smaller compartment above the lunchbox I have my first aid kit, PLB, spare GPSr batteries and magnetic compass, with my water bottle, DSLR camera and anything else going in the main compartment. There's also a separate A4-sized document section down the back where I put maps and multi/earthcache printouts so they won't get crumpled.

backpack.jpg.688217d53de3593aea6e4a633f635e11.jpg

I use Vanquest Trident-31 for one-day caching trips as well as for everyday carry. I like its numerous compartments where all of my geocaching tools found its place. :)

770131_TRIDENT31_01bk_1200__58433.149367

I don't need much in the way of tools to geocache - a pen, some spare batteries, tweezers, and a couple spare slips of paper is usually plenty for anything I've come across. 

My GPS and inReach are on the straps anyways. 

I also prefer lightweight packs, so those burly tactical ones aren't even on my radar. Comparatively, my regular daypack is half the weight of the tactical one in the post above. 

Ultralight (summer) pack, for days where gear/food is a minimal requirement, generally hikes under 6 hours, or single day bike rides, in great weather.  

12L https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-506/Race-EXP-Air-Daypack

5031506-CYA00.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&auto=format&q=60&fit=fill&bg=FFF

General Day Pack, for almost everything else

28L https://www.osprey.com/ca/en/product/manta-ag-28-MANTA28.html

mantaag28_side_sonicblue.jpg

Anything where I'm staying overnight

65L https://www.osprey.com/ca/en/product/atmos-ag-65-ATMOS65S18.html

atmos65s18_side_abyssgrey.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm buying this one next month. I need to hide my new large cache containers during transport to its hiding spot. Also for my container I use for swag when I need to refill cache boxes. TOTT would be in it too. I don't want muggles to see me taking an unknown container in the woods and return without it. They may call the police for suspicious activity.

condor-compact-bag_500.jpg

Edited by GEO COWBOYS

10 hours ago, Think Tink said:

I also prefer lightweight packs, so those burly tactical ones aren't even on my radar. Comparatively, my regular daypack is half the weight of the tactical one in the post above. 

Agreed. 

My tiny day pack for maybe more than a day (a Hikpro) is only 7 1/2 ounces.   I prefer an atmos as well,  when I'm bringing a tent and accompanied gear.

Most of my gear (even for a "have to" overnighter) fits in my camera bag.     ;)

This thread reminded me of the last time this came out.  Never went back after fixing something...

I've added a Rite in Rain strip to my EDC Altoids tin, and am now covered for possible log replacement as well as most emergencies.    :)

I use a MountainSmith Lumbar Pack - The Tour Classic (though mine is an original Tour), which I've had for ages and I love it. It also keeps me from carrying too much! Also, the Strapettes are a must.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MJ8F6WC

99-90004-01-strapettes-main.jpg

19-10046-02_tour_classic_heritage_red_main_1.jpg