Solicitation for Teamwork cache partners

I just had a lot of fun teaming up with @Max and 99 with their unknown cache in Oklahoma and my multi-cache in Utah. My cache, Utah and Oklahoma Teamwork, GC7P829, just received a couple Found it logs, despite the fact that I didn't know my first stage was destroyed because an abandoned gas station was torn down after I placed the cache but before it was published. A local cacher friend pointed it out within minutes of publishing. I was headed out of town and had to disable it. Then upon my return I had to quickly figure out an alternative first stage. Total down time was just a few hours. The whole experience was fun and my partner was excellent to work with.

I would like to create a couple more. Anybody from another US state or Canadian province want to team up?

Edited by Team Christiansen
added link
1 hour ago, Team Christiansen said:

I just had a lot of fun teaming up with @Max and 99 with their unknown cache in Oklahoma and my multi-cache in Utah. My cache, Utah and Oklahoma Teamwork, GC7P829, just received a couple Found it logs, despite the fact that I didn't know my first stage was destroyed because an abandoned gas station was torn down after I placed the cache but before it was published. A local cacher friend pointed it out within minutes of publishing. I was headed out of town and had to disable it. Then upon my return I had to quickly figure out an alternative first stage. Total down time was just a few hours. The whole experience was fun and my partner was excellent to work with.

I would like to create a couple more. Anybody from another US state or Canadian province want to team up?

That teamwork cache was a lot of prep work and lots of time quadruple checking the puzzle, but the result was fantastic! So much fun!!! Thanks, @Team Christiansen for partnering with me.

Edited by Max and 99
12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

That teamwork cache was a lot of prep work and lots of time quadruple checking the puzzle, but the result was fantastic! So much fun!!! Thanks, @Team Christiansen for partnering with me.

There is/was a local geocacher that did several teamwork puzzle caches (she's responsible for most of the puzzle caches in my area).  I have seen any new caches from her in a couple of years though so I don't know if she's still playing much.  

Over in the All Nations sub-forum there are several teamwork caches frequently discussed,  all of which involving different countries. 

17 hours ago, Team Christiansen said:

I'm game!  

I'm in Atlanta, GA.

4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Over in the All Nations sub-forum there are several teamwork caches frequently discussed,  all of which involving different countries. 

Are they the same?  Doesn't seem so (to me).

Asked a few times on some whether this is just a way to claim a country souvenir (without going there),  and most either pooh-poohed the idea, or clammed up (busted...).  :)

You can't get a new country souvenir just thru a teamwork cache. The current guidelines prohibit you from claiming a find on a cache you have not physically visited.  I am aware of older ones in which cachers did claim finds on the partner's cache. I'm a partner in a new world cache and some partners were not pleased to learn they would not be allowed to claim a Found It on the cache in the other country!

• Helpful 1

I just had fun with my second teamwork cache. See my lessons learned post in the Teamwork caches topic. I would like to solicit another partner from somewhere other than Utah, Oklahoma, and Georgia. I do know that I can reach out to location-specific FaceBook groups, and I will if I don't hear back from someone here. But it has been more fun partnering up with someone from a random location rather than one of my choosing.

That being said, anyone willing to partner up for a new teamwork cache?

GC7P829 and GC7VJEW are my current teamwork caches.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:20 AM, cerberus1 said:

Are they the same?  Doesn't seem so (to me).

Asked a few times on some whether this is just a way to claim a country souvenir (without going there),  and most either pooh-poohed the idea, or clammed up (busted...).  :)

Wwwwwwhhhhyyyyyyy?  Why didn't I listen??

I'm really scared (for real).

For my World Cache:

Please help. I am in sooooooo much trouble!!! 

(Paraphrasing)

[Me] For deleting my Found It log that I copied from someone else for a cache in a country that I've never been to.

[Message to me] This really stupid and there is no other name for it and I will report you to Groundspeak if this stupidity continues. This is stupid and there's no other name for it. 

The person whose log was copied just messaged me ( I did not even contact her about this) She was blindsided and very surprised this happened. 

Edit to add: I'm smart enough to know to NOT respond to the threatening message. Nada.

Edited by Max and 99
On 9/23/2018 at 2:35 PM, Max and 99 said:

Wwwwwwhhhhyyyyyyy?  Why didn't I listen??

I'm really scared (for real).

For my World Cache:

Please help. I am in sooooooo much trouble!!! 

(Paraphrasing)

[Me] For deleting my Found It log that I copied from someone else for a cache in a country that I've never been to.

[Message to me] This really stupid and there is no other name for it and I will report you to Groundspeak if this stupidity continues. This is stupid and there's no other name for it. 

The person whose log was copied just messaged me ( I did not even contact her about this) She was blindsided and very surprised this happened. 

Edit to add: I'm smart enough to know to NOT respond to the threatening message. Nada.

I'm so confused by this post.  I can't for the life of me figure out who did what and what happened lol

52 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I'm so confused by this post.  I can't for the life of me figure out who did what and what happened lol

Sorry. I deleted a Found It log that someone posted on my cache, which is in a country they have never been to. The other team members have allowed him to post finds on their caches, despite knowing fully well that it violates the Groundspeak policy: (it was discussed and understood during the cache planning stages). 

"As a geocacher, you should not sign the name of your teamwork partner in the log of your local cache. You can only claim a find if you visit the cache yourself."

He was upset that I deleted his log, and called it stupid about 6 times, and said he was going to continue logging  if I continued deleting his Found It logs. I only deleted it once. He said I either allow him to log a Find or  he will go to Groundspeak to get it settled. He also suggested that I archive my cache if I wasn't going to allow people from other countries to log my cache since that's expected for teamwork caches. (I'm paraphrasing). 

And... he copied and pasted someone else's Found It log without their

knowledge or permission. They were quite surprised to see that and wanted me to know they had nothing to do with it!

Edited by Max and 99
8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I deleted a Found It log that someone posted on my cache, which is in a country they have never been to. The other team members have allowed him to post finds on their caches, despite knowing fully well that it violates the Groundspeak policy: (it was discussed and understood during the cache planning stages). 

He was upset that I deleted his log, and called it stupid about 6 times, and said he was going to continue logging  if I continued deleting his Found It logs. I only deleted it once. He said I either allow him to log a Find or  he will go to Groundspeak to get it settled.

This is what I've seen with the majority of caches (as explained earlier) on another thread.

- People looking to claim "finds" on caches in countries never visited.   Sad that Groundspeak actually had to "explain" how that's not proper...

If me, I'd welcome Groundspeak's response .  If nothing else , we find what the policy actually is.

- It wouldn't be the first time noticed that they were incorrect,  maybe varying opinions with staff rather than an actual policy (too many cooks...).

I'm sure many still remember a basic member using an approved-by-Groundspeak  back door method to log a pmo hide and was denied their find.

I really thought that with the current guidelines being so specific about this policy, it wouldn't be a problem. I was so wrong.

I received a nice response from HQ, with this (below) being the most important sentence and what I already knew. My issue was that he stated he was going to keep logging every time I deleted it.

"As a cache owner, you can delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements. "

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I really thought that with the current guidelines being so specific about this policy, it wouldn't be a problem. I was so wrong.

I received a nice response from HQ, with this (below) being the most important sentence and what I already knew. My issue was that he stated he was going to keep logging every time I deleted it.

"As a cache owner, you can delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements. "

I'd welcome him to carry out his threat to escalate this to appeals@Groundspeak.   He's not going to get the settlement that he wants.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'd welcome him to carry out his threat to escalate this to appeals@Groundspeak.   He's not going to get the settlement that he wants.

I would too, but curious how you can be so sure of the outcome.  

We've all seen "exceptions", even when written otherwise in the guidelines/help center.

On 8/28/2018 at 12:06 PM, Team Christiansen said:
On 8/28/2018 at 11:32 AM, CAVinoGal said:

I'm in California, and I've never created a multi or mystery cache, but I'm eager to learn!  I'll message you and see if I can help out.

Perfect!! Thank you.

I am looking forward to it.

These two caches (California and Utah) are now in place, published, and have finds.  My CA cache has two finds to date; those two cachers have provided several Utah cachers with the final and the Utah cache has been found several times.  GC7WZ25 is the CA half; GC7WY70 is the UT half.

Now, I know this is the third cache based in Utah for those cachers; they have an idea what to expect and how it works.  This is the first for this area in CA, but I would have expected a FEW more of our local people to have tried it.  I posted a teaser on our local Facebook page even - and so far only two have done this?  I'm a bit disappointed it hasn't generated more than two (and one of the two is my husband!).  Ideas or suggestions for inspiring folks to go after this?

18 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

These two caches (California and Utah) are now in place, published, and have finds.  My CA cache has two finds to date; those two cachers have provided several Utah cachers with the final and the Utah cache has been found several times.  GC7WZ25 is the CA half; GC7WY70 is the UT half.

Now, I know this is the third cache based in Utah for those cachers; they have an idea what to expect and how it works.  This is the first for this area in CA, but I would have expected a FEW more of our local people to have tried it.  I posted a teaser on our local Facebook page even - and so far only two have done this?  I'm a bit disappointed it hasn't generated more than two (and one of the two is my husband!).  Ideas or suggestions for inspiring folks to go after this?

Oooh! Wine country! Our relative was the Mayor of Sonoma and we love that area!  If I ever get that way again I'd love to find your cache.  I've had to do a little work and a suggest locals to the UT geocachers trying to find a partner. I feel like I've been taken advantage of,  so I may not do that anymore. 

i honestly think one of the biggest deterrents is that multiple trips may be needed. That's not so bad for the locals, but for anyone out of town it may not seem worth the time. 

6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Oooh! Wine country! Our relative was the Mayor of Sonoma and we love that area!  If I ever get that way again I'd love to find your cache.  I've had to do a little work and a suggest locals to the UT geocachers trying to find a partner. I feel like I've been taken advantage of,  so I may not do that anymore. 

i honestly think one of the biggest deterrents is that multiple trips may be needed. That's not so bad for the locals, but for anyone out of town it may not seem worth the time. 

There's a fairly famous statue in the central square in Sonoma for the Bear Flag Revolt, a ground of settlers which raised the California flag for the first time at that location.  I'm directly related to one of those settlers (Henry Beeson).  Yes, there's is a cache there but not related to the statue.

18 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

(apologies for latching on to this aspect of the thread, slightly off topic) - my https://coord.info/GC5G49W multi takes you from Paris to London, and several people have had the log signed for them, having provided half the info. I just couldn't be bothered to delete them though. I think it stems from some Parisians being completist about doing all the caches in the city. I also got abuse at first from Parisians who said the cache broke the rules by having the icon in Paris and the cache in London! 

Most people do most caches in the right spirit, luckily...

31 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Since I partnered with @Team Christiansen to create a Teamwork Cache, can I log a Found It if my name is put on the log?

If it wasn't you who wrote your name in the log, the Help Centre Teamwork Cache page seems pretty explicit on that:

As a geocacher, you should not sign the name of your teamwork partner in the log of your local cache. You can only claim a find if you visit the cache yourself.

What does your conscience say to do?

Edited by barefootjeff
6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Since I partnered with @Team Christiansen to create a Teamwork Cache, can I log a Found It if my name is put on the log?

DSCN7527 - Copy.JPG

Very interesting. Did either BigG59 or desert dawg send you the picture? Neither one included it with their log to be found in the cache's gallery.

6 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

If it wasn't you who wrote your name in the log, the Help Centre Teamwork Cache page seems pretty explicit on that:

6 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

As a geocacher, you should not sign the name of your teamwork partner in the log of your local cache. You can only claim a find if you visit the cache yourself.

What does your conscience say to do?

Not only is the restrictive language found in the Help Center article, but it is also duplicated in both the Utah cache as well as the Oklahoma cache. Very interesting indeed, especially since all the Utah cachers that have logged Found it logs have had Oklahoma partners other than @Max & 99.

It was ME!! I took the photo and signed the log!

Surprise!

750 miles flying each way, 1,000 miles driving while there (4 states), and 1200 photos taken. It was a whirlwind Fall Break.

Your cache was awesome!

Thanks to CAVinoGal for keeping my secret and being my partner for the other teamwork cache I found.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2018 at 8:06 AM, Max and 99 said:

Thanks to CAVinoGal for keeping my secret and being my partner for the other teamwork cache I found.

:ph34r:  Keeping secrets is soooo much fun.  AND, @Max and 99 DID provide me with the correct info to verify they had found the Utah stages needed to partner for the CA cache.  It's all legit, and it was fun!!

On 10/2/2018 at 8:57 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I read the bold portion (bolded by me) of your post and thought, "there must be others", so I looked and there really aren't any now-active Teamwork caches in the Bay Area.  There are a couple in the Sacto area: one has 157 finds over almost 12 years, the other has 69 finds over almost 6 years.  A very rough average of just over 1 per month.  So, your cache seems to be about on par.  There are a couple Teamwork caches local to me in the Seattle area and I just haven't bothered to attempt them because the whole process of finding partners just seems onerous.

9 hours ago, noncentric said:

I read the bold portion (bolded by me) of your post and thought, "there must be others", so I looked and there really aren't any now-active Teamwork caches in the Bay Area.  There are a couple in the Sacto area: one has 157 finds over almost 12 years, the other has 69 finds over almost 6 years.  A very rough average of just over 1 per month.  So, your cache seems to be about on par. 

OK, then, patience is needed!

I got a message from someone in Utah, visiting this area, who was their own partner for this - found the Utah stages and then came here to find the final CA stage; also did the first two CA stages to get the Utah final coords!  Unfortunately, they logged a DNF on my final (which was really still there, just hidden well, I guess).  Fortunately, they have time to revisit and log a find before heading back to Utah.

1 minute ago, CAVinoGal said:

OK, then, patience is needed!

I got a message from someone in Utah, visiting this area, who was their own partner for this - found the Utah stages and then came here to find the final CA stage; also did the first two CA stages to get the Utah final coords!  Unfortunately, they logged a DNF on my final (which was really still there, just hidden well, I guess).  Fortunately, they have time to revisit and log a find before heading back to Utah.

That was my big fear: doing all that work, travelling all that distance, and not being able to find the cache! It almost happened with both the teamwork caches we solved. 

3 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I got a message from someone in Utah, visiting this area, who was their own partner for this

I may end up being my own partner for one teamwork cache.  I posted a message on the 'other' one to solicit a partner more than a year ago and could never find someone.  That put me off the effort of trying to find a partner for the cache and I just kinda forgot about it.  But, I have the coords for the 'other' place and might be in the area, so will keep it in the back of my mind to go by there.

And since this topic reminded me of that cache, I just looked at the cache page and it has only 3 finds this year.  So don't feel bad, it seems these types of caches are just 'slow'.

My brother and I are trying to set up a teamwork cache.

Question - does it have to be "mystery" blue question mark type? Or can it be multi-cache.

The mechanics of ours is going to be strictly multi-cache, just the stage 1 info at one cache will be applied to the other, and vice versa.

I ask because I get the sense that plenty of people "skip over" mystery caches, don't even look at 'em. But maybe they do the same for multis?