Help choosing device for specific purpose.

otcoeng

Hi, new member here looking to draw on your knowledge.  First off, I know NOTHING about GPS devices.  Our Road & Bridge department would like to use GPS to locate all our drainage culverts throughout the county.  Would like the highest accuracy possible and should simple to use.  It does not need a lot of bells and whistles, we are just marking locations and will download into Google Earth Pro.  Seeing all the options out there gets real confusing, real quick.  What unit would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shannon  

1 hour ago, otcoeng said:

What unit would you recommend?

For this kind of use I would recommend a Real-time kinematic (RTK) type receiver.

Vendors that provide RTK systems and services include: Trimble, Leica Geosystems, Topcon, North Surveying, Hi-Target, Sokkia, NovAtel, Septentrio, Hemisphere GNSS, ANavS, CHCNAV, SunNav, and Unistrong.

Edited by arisoft
2 hours ago, otcoeng said:

Would like the highest accuracy possible and should simple to use.

These two points are somewhat mutually exclusive. While I haven't used any of the professional-grade receivers myself, it's my understanding that they aren't exactly designed to be simple to use. They're meant to be used by a trained surveyor.

That being said, I don't think you need the highest accuracy if you only need to locate a culvert. You could probably get away with a consumer-grade receiver, which should usually get you to within about 15-30 feet or so. That should get you close enough to be able to locate the culvert again.

If all you need is the ability to record the coordinates of a culvert and later locate that spot again, then pretty much any consumer GPS receiver or modern smartphone would do the job.

1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

That being said, I don't think you need the highest accuracy if you only need to locate a culvert. You could probably get away with a consumer-grade receiver, which should usually get you to within about 15-30 feet or so. That should get you close enough to be able to locate the culvert again.

The easiest to use solution:  Enable geotagging on the mobile phone and just took pictures of culverts. Every image will automatically have coordinates and a spoiler image with pinpoint accuracy.

• Helpful 1