Placing Traditional Cache close to starting point of Mystery Cache

Flyphishing

I realize that caches have to be placed at least 528ft. apart. I would like to place a Traditional Cache about 100 ft. from the starting point of a Mystery Cache whose GZ is about 3 miles away. Since the actual cache location of the Mystery Cache  is more than 528ft. can I place my Traditional Cache?

Thanks!!

4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:
8 hours ago, Flyphishing said:

I would like to place a Traditional Cache about 100 ft. from the starting point of a Mystery Cache whose GZ is about 3 miles away. 

Not less than 2?

Perhaps an older cache.  The 2-mile rule was not made retroactive when it was introduced.

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

Perhaps an older cache.  The 2-mile rule was not made retroactive when it was introduced.

The 2-mile limit for Mystery caches was introduced in the November 2003 version of the listing guidelines:

Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles away from the true cache location.  This allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to keep the mileage of Travel Bugs that find their way into the cache reasonably correct.

In the January 2011 version of the listing guidelines, any "wiggle room" was removed by the deletion of the words "Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided."

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, Keystone said:
4 hours ago, hzoi said:

The 2-mile limit for Mystery caches was introduced in the November 2003 version of the listing guidelines:

Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles away from the true cache location.  This allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to keep the mileage of Travel Bugs that find their way into the cache reasonably correct.

In the January 2011 version of the listing guidelines, any "wiggle room" was removed by the deletion of the words "Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided."

I stand corrected.  How strictly was that enforced, though?  I can think of more than one post-2003 mystery cache that was over 2 miles from the listed coords; the Virginia Delorme Challenge, for example, was published in 2006 with bogus coords almost 200 miles from the final.

3 hours ago, hzoi said:

I stand corrected.  How strictly was that enforced, though?  I can think of more than one post-2003 mystery cache that was over 2 miles from the listed coords; the Virginia Delorme Challenge, for example, was published in 2006 with bogus coords almost 200 miles from the final.

A 2006 DeLorme Challenge predates the tightening of the guidelines in 2011.  The reviewer at the time may have felt that there was a good reason to make an exception.  Also, many reviewers are dogs.

• Funny 1
13 hours ago, Keystone said:

A 2006 DeLorme Challenge predates the tightening of the guidelines in 2011.  The reviewer at the time may have felt that there was a good reason to make an exception.  Also, many reviewers are dogs.

Got it.  I think I took the elimination of the wiggle room as the imposition of the rule; clearly not.  Alles klar.