Cache Labeling Question

shiverfae1

Hi, Everyone!

I would like to place a kid's fun cache in an area where I know there are not other caches. My question is, do I need to have an official Geocache label on the cache? Or no? And if I do, where do I get the labels? Do I have to buy labels for caches?

Thanks!

An official label is cool. But you may write or paint or stencil the info on the outside. For a transparent box, try taping a computer printed or handwritten label on the inside using duct tape or packing tape.

Include at least the GC number, and "Official Geocache". And cache name and contact info if you like.

Edited by kunarion
13 minutes ago, shiverfae1 said:

I would like to place a kid's fun cache in an area where I know there are not other caches. My question is, do I need to have an official Geocache label on the cache? Or no? And if I do, where do I get the labels? Do I have to buy labels for caches?

As kunarion wrote, you don't need an official Geocaching.com label. If you want to use one, then they're available here: https://shop.geocaching.com/default/geocaching-supplies/cache-labels

Technically, the guidelines recommend that you label the geocache, but don't require it. And some of the smallest geocache containers would be very difficult to label anyway. But some parks and open spaces do require that geocaches be labeled as part of their geocaching policies, which means you need to label your geocache to have permission to hide it in those parks or open spaces.

But I've seen geocaches labeled with home-printed labels, and I've seen geocaches labeled with permanent markers or paint stencils. Label your geocache however works for you. I've found the Geocaching.com labels convenient for my own geocaches, but they aren't required.

As long as you take some step to label it as a geocache, the actual technique is up to you -- unless of course you're hiding it someplace that requires a specific container, label, sticker, etc.

I'm lazy and usually just use a marker.  When I hid geocaches in Newport News parks, I included their mandatory permit sticker inside.